Changing Title Bar colour on a window

rjuli...@gmail.com
Hi.....

I have a feature in my application, for which the user's attention must be drawn.

I am popping the window to the front, and ringing the OSWidget bell,
but my users are asking me if the title bar colour can be changed.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies....

Regards,
Julian

Re: Changing Title Bar colour on a window

vinref
Hi Julian

I too had been looking to do this, and have failed to find an obvious solution in either VA or Dolphin Smalltalks.

What I was thinking of doing was to have a shell with a form on it that is slightly smaller than the shell thus forming a thin border around the form. I then change the background colour of the shell in response to an event etc. Ugly, but I couldn't think of anything else.

Vince

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 13:27:09 UTC+10, Julian Ford wrote:
Hi.....

I have a feature in my application, for which the user's attention must be drawn.

I am popping the window to the front, and ringing the OSWidget bell,
but my users are asking me if the title bar colour can be changed.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies....

Regards,
Julian

Re: Changing Title Bar colour on a window

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Julian,

If you are on windows, I would look for a platform function that could do what you want.  Sorry but I don't have time to look for you.

Lou

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 11:27:09 PM UTC-4, Julian Ford wrote:
Hi.....

I have a feature in my application, for which the user's attention must be drawn.

I am popping the window to the front, and ringing the OSWidget bell,
but my users are asking me if the title bar colour can be changed.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies....

Regards,
Julian

Re: Changing Title Bar colour on a window

rjuli...@gmail.com
Thanks, Louis.

I had looked for a platform function before posting here, but have not found one.
Especially in Windows 10, the OS wants to control things like title bar colour...
presumably to handle their "theme" concept.

I was just wondering if anyone had found a way to do this...

Julian

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 8:41:16 AM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Julian,

If you are on windows, I would look for a platform function that could do what you want.  Sorry but I don't have time to look for you.

Lou

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 11:27:09 PM UTC-4, Julian Ford wrote:
Hi.....

I have a feature in my application, for which the user's attention must be drawn.

I am popping the window to the front, and ringing the OSWidget bell,
but my users are asking me if the title bar colour can be changed.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies....

Regards,
Julian

Re: Changing Title Bar colour on a window

rjuli...@gmail.com
An interesting approach, Vince.

I think the main cause of not finding anything obvious...is that there may actually not be a way of doing it.

One thing I wonder about, though, is that certain programs are able to change the colour of their minimized
icons in the desktop tray...there must be a platform function to do THAT, then....

Thanks for the reply!

Julian

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 2:11:26 AM UTC-4, Vince Refiti wrote:
[...]

Ralf
not so easy, even more in Smalltalk. The following link might interest you.

https://delphihaven.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/setting-up-a-custom-titlebar/

Ok, is Delphi, what the hell.:)

Am Donnerstag, 3. Oktober 2019 05:27:09 UTC+2 schrieb Julian Ford:
Hi.....

I have a feature in my application, for which the user's attention must be drawn.

I am popping the window to the front, and ringing the OSWidget bell,
but my users are asking me if the title bar colour can be changed.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies....

Regards,
Julian

Re: Changing Title Bar colour on a window

rjuli...@gmail.com
Thanks for the message, Ralf.  A great article!

Given the trickiness of this, however, I have decided not to pursue it.

Best Regards,
Julian