Changing admin password?

Duncan Entwisle
Please could someone tell me the proper way to change the
administrator's password in Pier?

Last week, I could do it by using the Pier Browser, exploring the root,
and sending a password: message to the adminUser instance.

I've now created a new image, with the latest Pier packages from Squeak
Map. Even though the password appears to change in the instance, the
old passwords (user=admin, password=pier) remain in use.

I realise I'm probably doing something stupid :-)

Thanks for any help,
Duncan.

P.S. With the latest Squeak Map Pier package the Pier Browser doesn't
appear to be added to the Tools flap like last time.

Re: Changing admin password?

Lukas Renggli-2
> I've now created a new image, with the latest Pier packages from
> Squeak
> Map. Even though the password appears to change in the instance, the
> old passwords (user=admin, password=pier) remain in use.

This is strange, it works in my image when exactly following your
steps. Are you sure that you modified the right kernel?

Mmh, while trying to reproduce your bug I discovered that there is a
nasty recursion when logging out. I will publish a new version on
SqueakMap shortly that fixes this issue.

I also found out that there is a problem with the latest version of
Seaside and the default action in forms. Later tonight I will publish
a new version of Magritte including Seaside, but first I have to
check with Avi.

> P.S. With the latest Squeak Map Pier package the Pier Browser doesn't
> appear to be added to the Tools flap like last time.

Yes, I removed that, because it did not work in Squeak 3.9. It is
still in the World Menu > Open > Pier Browser.

One of my goals for Magritte and Pier is to slowly move to 3.9,
because it offers things (Pragmas) that will make our life easier and
that I have been waiting for a long long time now. For now I will try
to keep compatibility for 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Changing admin password?

Lukas Renggli-2
>> One of my goals for Magritte and Pier is to slowly move to
>> 3.9, because it offers things (Pragmas) that will make our
>> life easier and that I have been waiting for a long long time
>> now. For now I will try to keep compatibility for 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9.
>>
>> Lukas
>
> I would hope that 3.8 remains the primary target at the very least
> until
> after 3.9 is actually released.

Yes, certainly. However the next major versions (Magritte 1.1 and
Pier 1.1) will be targeted at 3.9.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Changing admin password?

Duncan Entwisle
On 21 Mar 2006, at 17:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> This is strange, it works in my image when exactly following your
> steps. Are you sure that you modified the right kernel?

Yes - I only had one. It does seem to work now (I re-recreated the
image from scratch today).

> Mmh, while trying to reproduce your bug I discovered that there is a
> nasty recursion when logging out. I will publish a new version on
> SqueakMap shortly that fixes this issue.

Sorry - I did actually notice the log-out problem, but I thought it was
something to do with my method of changing the password.

Thanks for the quick turn-a-round,
Duncan.