classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Changing method definition at runtime

ericvm
Hello,

One thing I try to do often is changing the behaviour of a method dynamically at runtime. The current way I do this is by having a block as an instance variable and having the method call this block, but I find this approach a bit cumbersome. Is there some other way or is this the recommended approach?

I mean, I suppose methods could be changed dynamically by means of reflection somehow, but is this an easy or recommended way of programming in Smalltalk? Should slots make things easier?

Eric
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Changing method definition at runtime

Steven Costiou-2

Hello,

a mean to achieve behavior modification of methods at runtime could be context oriented programming (COP). It allows a method to have multiple behavior variations that can be (de)activated dynamically. However to my knowledge there is no context oriented extension for Pharo yet.

I would also be interested by any known way to change method behavior dynamically, as COP is not an option for now. Maybe by working on ast nodes, by dynamically replacing them ?

Steven.

Le 2016-07-23 00:41, Eric Velten de Melo a écrit :

Hello,

One thing I try to do often is changing the behaviour of a method dynamically at runtime. The current way I do this is by having a block as an instance variable and having the method call this block, but I find this approach a bit cumbersome. Is there some other way or is this the recommended approach?

I mean, I suppose methods could be changed dynamically by means of reflection somehow, but is this an easy or recommended way of programming in Smalltalk? Should slots make things easier?

Eric

--
kloum.io
Reply | Threaded
|

Thierry Goubier
Hi Steven, Eric,

it can be done very easily by just recompiling the method, with
optionally handling the fact that the underlying package may be marked
as dirty.

(i.e. have multiple method implementations, and switching between them
by just calling #compile: on the class).

Regards,

Thierry

Le 23/07/2016 à 11:20, Steven Costiou a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> a mean to achieve behavior modification of methods at runtime could be
> context oriented programming (COP). It allows a method to have multiple
> behavior variations that can be (de)activated dynamically. However to my
> knowledge there is no context oriented extension for Pharo yet.
>
> I would also be interested by any known way to change method behavior
> dynamically, as COP is not an option for now. Maybe by working on ast
> nodes, by dynamically replacing them ?
>
> Steven.
>
> Le 2016-07-23 00:41, Eric Velten de Melo a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> One thing I try to do often is changing the behaviour of a method
>> dynamically at runtime. The current way I do this is by having a block
>> as an instance variable and having the method call this block, but I
>> find this approach a bit cumbersome. Is there some other way or is
>> this the recommended approach?
>>
>> I mean, I suppose methods could be changed dynamically by means of
>> reflection somehow, but is this an easy or recommended way of
>> programming in Smalltalk? Should slots make things easier?
>>
>> Eric
>
>
>
> --
> kloum.io

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by ericvm
Can you elaborate on the reason why want to modify behaviour? And how you would like it to happen?
If the code you want to modify is your own code than you can solve that most of time with the things you already have. Your example using a block might be altered to be a strategy pattern. That means you keep one ore more instance variables for strategy objects. Then you delegate parts of your behaviour to those objects. You can based on context exchange those objects to adjust behaviour.
If it is not feasible to change the internal state of an object but you know all possible variants you can implement all variations as methods in the object. The right method can be invoked by doing a double dispatch with another object providing contextual information.
There are plenty of possibilities so you need to know what is the context that is responsible for switching behaviour and the requirements of the behaviour modifications. Can you alter the object? Is the number of modifications a fixed number? Does the modification need to be thread safe?

Norbert

> Am 23.07.2016 um 00:41 schrieb Eric Velten de Melo <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello,
>
> One thing I try to do often is changing the behaviour of a method dynamically at runtime. The current way I do this is by having a block as an instance variable and having the method call this block, but I find this approach a bit cumbersome. Is there some other way or is this the recommended approach?
>
> I mean, I suppose methods could be changed dynamically by means of reflection somehow, but is this an easy or recommended way of programming in Smalltalk? Should slots make things easier?
>
> Eric

Reply | Threaded
|

ericvm
Actually I wanted to have many different object instances with different behaviours picked at random from a list of available behaviours, but didn't find practical to create a class for each different method implementation and delegating to it, since there are many, possibly unlimited valid behaviours.

So maybe changing method implementation at runtime is not what I want because the method implementation will be shared among all instances. What I had in mind was a functionality similar to prototyped languages like Self and Javascript in which you could change the behaviour inside the object and not the class/prototype.

2016-07-23 7:35 GMT-03:00 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
Can you elaborate on the reason why want to modify behaviour? And how you would like it to happen?
If the code you want to modify is your own code than you can solve that most of time with the things you already have. Your example using a block might be altered to be a strategy pattern. That means you keep one ore more instance variables for strategy objects. Then you delegate parts of your behaviour to those objects. You can based on context exchange those objects to adjust behaviour.
If it is not feasible to change the internal state of an object but you know all possible variants you can implement all variations as methods in the object. The right method can be invoked by doing a double dispatch with another object providing contextual information.
There are plenty of possibilities so you need to know what is the context that is responsible for switching behaviour and the requirements of the behaviour modifications. Can you alter the object? Is the number of modifications a fixed number? Does the modification need to be thread safe?

Norbert

>
> Hello,
>
> One thing I try to do often is changing the behaviour of a method dynamically at runtime. The current way I do this is by having a block as an instance variable and having the method call this block, but I find this approach a bit cumbersome. Is there some other way or is this the recommended approach?
>
> I mean, I suppose methods could be changed dynamically by means of reflection somehow, but is this an easy or recommended way of programming in Smalltalk? Should slots make things easier?
>
> Eric

Reply | Threaded
|

Steven Costiou-2

As i'm trying to build some kind of context oriented mechanism, i have the same need of behavior modification for a single instance of a class. I use virus-proxies in Ghost, that can intercept a message upon its reception in a particular object. From there it is possible to choose the code you want to run, being the original method or an other implementation. It works pretty well (by the way i still need to thanks the person here that recommended Ghost to me...).

However you still need to store your behaviors implementations somewhere, in classes or blocks stored in variables...

Le 2016-07-24 17:14, Eric Velten de Melo a écrit :

Actually I wanted to have many different object instances with different behaviours picked at random from a list of available behaviours, but didn't find practical to create a class for each different method implementation and delegating to it, since there are many, possibly unlimited valid behaviours.

So maybe changing method implementation at runtime is not what I want because the method implementation will be shared among all instances. What I had in mind was a functionality similar to prototyped languages like Self and Javascript in which you could change the behaviour inside the object and not the class/prototype.

Norbert

>
> Hello,
>
>
>
> Eric

--
kloum.io
Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Eric Velten de Melo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually I wanted to have many different object instances with different
> behaviours picked at random from a list of available behaviours, but didn't
> find practical to create a class for each different method implementation
> and delegating to it, since there are many, possibly unlimited valid
> behaviours.

Maybe each behaviour could have its own method, and an instance
variable stores which method to call.
For example...

Object subclass: #MyObject
      instanceVariableNames: 'behaviour'
      classVariableNames: ''
      package: 'Example'

Add 'behaviours' protocol and two methods...
    behaviour1
        Transcript crShow: 'Behaviour 1'.

behaviour2
         Transcript crShow: 'Behaviour 2'.

Add 'initialization' protocol and method...
    initialize
        | behaviours |
        behaviours := self class methods select: [ :m | m protocol =
#behaviours ].
        behaviour := behaviours atRandom selector.

Add 'delegation' protocol and method...
    perform
        self perform: behaviour.

Then from Playground evaluate...
    Transcript open.
    10 timesRepeat: [ MyObject new perform ].

Behaviour 2
Behaviour 2
Behaviour 2
Behaviour 1
Behaviour 2
Behaviour 1
Behaviour 2
Behaviour 2
Behaviour 1
Behaviour 2

Then try...
    MyObject compile:
        'behaviour3
             Transcript crShow: ''Behaviour 3'' '
        classified: #behaviours
        notifying: nil.
     Transcript clear.
     10 timesRepeat: [ MyObject new perform ].

Behaviour 2
Behaviour 1
Behaviour 1
Behaviour 1
Behaviour 3
Behaviour 3
Behaviour 2
Behaviour 1
Behaviour 2
Behaviour 1

HTH, cheers -ben

>
> So maybe changing method implementation at runtime is not what I want
> because the method implementation will be shared among all instances. What I
> had in mind was a functionality similar to prototyped languages like Self
> and Javascript in which you could change the behaviour inside the object and
> not the class/prototype.
>
> 2016-07-23 7:35 GMT-03:00 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Can you elaborate on the reason why want to modify behaviour? And how you
>> would like it to happen?
>> If the code you want to modify is your own code than you can solve that
>> most of time with the things you already have. Your example using a block
>> might be altered to be a strategy pattern. That means you keep one ore more
>> instance variables for strategy objects. Then you delegate parts of your
>> behaviour to those objects. You can based on context exchange those objects
>> to adjust behaviour.
>> If it is not feasible to change the internal state of an object but you
>> know all possible variants you can implement all variations as methods in
>> the object. The right method can be invoked by doing a double dispatch with
>> another object providing contextual information.
>> There are plenty of possibilities so you need to know what is the context
>> that is responsible for switching behaviour and the requirements of the
>> behaviour modifications. Can you alter the object? Is the number of
>> modifications a fixed number? Does the modification need to be thread safe?
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> > Am 23.07.2016 um 00:41 schrieb Eric Velten de Melo
>> > <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > One thing I try to do often is changing the behaviour of a method
>> > dynamically at runtime. The current way I do this is by having a block as an
>> > instance variable and having the method call this block, but I find this
>> > approach a bit cumbersome. Is there some other way or is this the
>> > recommended approach?
>> >
>> > I mean, I suppose methods could be changed dynamically by means of
>> > reflection somehow, but is this an easy or recommended way of programming in
>> > Smalltalk? Should slots make things easier?
>> >
>> > Eric
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo

Have a look at my JOOP'99 article because I explain how to develop instance specific behavior.

Stef

Le 24/7/16 à 17:14, Eric Velten de Melo a écrit :

Norbert

>
> Hello,
>
>
>
> Eric

Reply | Threaded
|

ericvm
Ben's solution worked perfectly for me. Thanks!

Also I had a look at Stef's article but still need to read it more carefully.

Thank you all for the references and advice!

Eric

2016-07-24 17:48 GMT-03:00 stepharo <[hidden email]>:

Have a look at my JOOP'99 article because I explain how to develop instance specific behavior.

Stef

Le 24/7/16 à 17:14, Eric Velten de Melo a écrit :

Norbert

>
> Hello,
>
>
>
> Eric