Changing my mailing list subscription

Andreas.Raab
Hi Guys,

Just as an FYI, with the recent increase in traffic from the Cog tracker I decided to no longer actively receive email from vm-dev. This isn't a big loss to you as I haven't been active anyway in a long time and I still will (time permitting) occasionally look at what's going on through the Nabble forums. The only reason I'm sending this email is that in the unlikely event you want my input on something specifically, you should include me directly on cc rather than assuming that sending an email to vm-dev will be sufficient to catch my attention.

BTW, this isn't a comment on the usefulness of the Cog issue tracker emails or the other notifications. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of my incoming email by a little.

Cheers,
  - Andreas

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

Chris Muller-3

This is the same reason I cut back reading the Pharo list.  There is
something to be said for humans-only mailing lists -- when a mail
appears it's for sure worth reading someone's thoughts rather sorting
through "filler" minutiae.  Quality > Quantity.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Andreas.Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just as an FYI, with the recent increase in traffic from the Cog tracker I
> decided to no longer actively receive email from vm-dev. This isn't a big
> loss to you as I haven't been active anyway in a long time and I still will
> (time permitting) occasionally look at what's going on through the Nabble
> forums. The only reason I'm sending this email is that in the unlikely event
> you want my input on something specifically, you should include me directly
> on cc rather than assuming that sending an email to vm-dev will be
> sufficient to catch my attention.
>
> BTW, this isn't a comment on the usefulness of the Cog issue tracker emails
> or the other notifications. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of my
> incoming email by a little.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

David T. Lewis

Are the cog tracker emails helpful, or too much noise? As vm-dev list
admin, I turned them on based on a request to do so, but if it is too
much information, I'll turn it back off. The cog issue tracker is open to
everyone, so there is no real need to provide an automated feed to vm-dev
if it is causing too much traffic.

Opinions?

Dave

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:02:49PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> This is the same reason I cut back reading the Pharo list.  There is
> something to be said for humans-only mailing lists -- when a mail
> appears it's for sure worth reading someone's thoughts rather sorting
> through "filler" minutiae.  Quality > Quantity.
>

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Andreas.Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Just as an FYI, with the recent increase in traffic from the Cog tracker I
> > decided to no longer actively receive email from vm-dev. This isn't a big
> > loss to you as I haven't been active anyway in a long time and I still will
> > (time permitting) occasionally look at what's going on through the Nabble
> > forums. The only reason I'm sending this email is that in the unlikely event
> > you want my input on something specifically, you should include me directly
> > on cc rather than assuming that sending an email to vm-dev will be
> > sufficient to catch my attention.
> >
> > BTW, this isn't a comment on the usefulness of the Cog issue tracker emails
> > or the other notifications. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of my
> > incoming email by a little.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   - Andreas

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:31 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are the cog tracker emails helpful, or too much noise? As vm-dev list
admin, I turned them on based on a request to do so, but if it is too
much information, I'll turn it back off. The cog issue tracker is open to
everyone, so there is no real need to provide an automated feed to vm-dev
if it is causing too much traffic.

Opinions?

Don't you have filters in your email accounts/clients?

Dave

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:02:49PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> This is the same reason I cut back reading the Pharo list.  There is
> something to be said for humans-only mailing lists -- when a mail
> appears it's for sure worth reading someone's thoughts rather sorting
> through "filler" minutiae.  Quality > Quantity.
>

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Andreas.Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Just as an FYI, with the recent increase in traffic from the Cog tracker I
> > decided to no longer actively receive email from vm-dev. This isn't a big
> > loss to you as I haven't been active anyway in a long time and I still will
> > (time permitting) occasionally look at what's going on through the Nabble
> > forums. The only reason I'm sending this email is that in the unlikely event
> > you want my input on something specifically, you should include me directly
> > on cc rather than assuming that sending an email to vm-dev will be
> > sufficient to catch my attention.
> >
> > BTW, this isn't a comment on the usefulness of the Cog issue tracker emails
> > or the other notifications. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of my
> > incoming email by a little.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   - Andreas
> >

> > --

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

EstebanLM

It is not too much trafic.
And I think is very useful, is hard to stay tuned and enter to check the trackers... the cog tracker does not produce more than 2 to 5 mails a week. How can that be too much?
Also, there is filtering too... you always can add a filter to you mail and send cog@googlegroups. com mails to wherever you want.

On Sep 5, 2012, at 4:31 AM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are the cog tracker emails helpful, or too much noise? As vm-dev list
> admin, I turned them on based on a request to do so, but if it is too
> much information, I'll turn it back off. The cog issue tracker is open to
> everyone, so there is no real need to provide an automated feed to vm-dev
> if it is causing too much traffic.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Dave
>
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:02:49PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
>>
>> This is the same reason I cut back reading the Pharo list.  There is
>> something to be said for humans-only mailing lists -- when a mail
>> appears it's for sure worth reading someone's thoughts rather sorting
>> through "filler" minutiae.  Quality > Quantity.
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Andreas.Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Just as an FYI, with the recent increase in traffic from the Cog tracker I
>>> decided to no longer actively receive email from vm-dev. This isn't a big
>>> loss to you as I haven't been active anyway in a long time and I still will
>>> (time permitting) occasionally look at what's going on through the Nabble
>>> forums. The only reason I'm sending this email is that in the unlikely event
>>> you want my input on something specifically, you should include me directly
>>> on cc rather than assuming that sending an email to vm-dev will be
>>> sufficient to catch my attention.
>>>
>>> BTW, this isn't a comment on the usefulness of the Cog issue tracker emails
>>> or the other notifications. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of my
>>> incoming email by a little.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>  - Andreas

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-09-05, at 09:00, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is not too much trafic.
> And I think is very useful, is hard to stay tuned and enter to check the trackers... the cog tracker does not produce more than 2 to 5 mails a week. How can that be too much?
> Also, there is filtering too... you always can add a filter to you mail and send cog@googlegroups. com mails to wherever you want.

and just for the sake of yet another useless email,

I completely agree, there are 100 issues on the issue tracker dating 1.5 years back.
so thats in average one 1 per week + a couple of comments, so that will average on 2 mails per week.

I am very thankful that we finally got the cog issue tracker on this mailinglist,
it only took 1 year to accomplish...

best
cami

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-09-05, at 04:31, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are the cog tracker emails helpful, or too much noise? As vm-dev list
> admin, I turned them on based on a request to do so, but if it is too
> much information, I'll turn it back off. The cog issue tracker is open to
> everyone, so there is no real need to provide an automated feed to vm-dev
> if it is causing too much traffic.
>
> Opinions?

I very much like code diffs sent to the mailing list to keep everyone informed what's going on. Bug tracker traffic usually is more noisy. E.g. for Etoys we have two lists - the developer list which also gets code commit diffs, and a "notify" list which gets bug tracker updates and non-code commits (translated strings mostly). As one of the Etoys "core" developers I am subscribed to both lists, of course. So here on vm-dev, if the traffic turns out to be too much, we could create a vm-notify list. But for now I'd give it a try, at least for a couple of weeks.

It would be nice of course if the work on those tickets went back into the official VMs. So far the work going on in the git repositories has been more or less invisible. I don't think I have seen patches contributed back to the master repository at squeakvm.org?

- Bert -

On 2012-09-05, at 16:20, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-09-05, at 04:31, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Are the cog tracker emails helpful, or too much noise? As vm-dev list
>> admin, I turned them on based on a request to do so, but if it is too
>> much information, I'll turn it back off. The cog issue tracker is open to
>> everyone, so there is no real need to provide an automated feed to vm-dev
>> if it is causing too much traffic.
>>
>> Opinions?
>

> I very much like code diffs sent to the mailing list to keep everyone informed what's going on. Bug tracker traffic usually is more noisy. E.g. for Etoys we have two lists - the developer list which also gets code commit diffs, and a "notify" list which gets bug tracker updates and non-code commits (translated strings mostly). As one of the Etoys "core" developers I am subscribed to both lists, of course. So here on vm-dev, if the traffic turns out to be too much, we could create a vm-notify list. But for now I'd give it a try, at least for a couple of weeks.
>
> It would be nice of course if the work on those tickets went back into the official VMs.

what is the official vm? sorry I am rather new to that...

> So far the work going on in the git repositories has been more or less invisible. I don't think I have seen patches contributed back to the master repository at squeakvm.org?

I have seen not so many changes coming from the squeakvm repository, comparing
to our repository at gitorious... so from my naïve point of view I consider
the latter one more important.

besides svn does not play along with multiple fixes / multiple people working.
just look at github, how programmer kids today work on software today:
unstructured, multi forked, do-what-you-want. If you have something interesting
you propose it as a pull-request, and that works extremely well with unstructured,
loose organizations

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

Nicolas Cellier

2012/9/5 Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>:

> On 2012-09-05, at 16:20, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 2012-09-05, at 04:31, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Are the cog tracker emails helpful, or too much noise? As vm-dev list
>>> admin, I turned them on based on a request to do so, but if it is too
>>> much information, I'll turn it back off. The cog issue tracker is open to
>>> everyone, so there is no real need to provide an automated feed to vm-dev
>>> if it is causing too much traffic.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>

>> I very much like code diffs sent to the mailing list to keep everyone informed what's going on. Bug tracker traffic usually is more noisy. E.g. for Etoys we have two lists - the developer list which also gets code commit diffs, and a "notify" list which gets bug tracker updates and non-code commits (translated strings mostly). As one of the Etoys "core" developers I am subscribed to both lists, of course. So here on vm-dev, if the traffic turns out to be too much, we could create a vm-notify list. But for now I'd give it a try, at least for a couple of weeks.
>>
>> It would be nice of course if the work on those tickets went back into the official VMs.
>
> what is the official vm? sorry I am rather new to that...
>
>> So far the work going on in the git repositories has been more or less invisible. I don't think I have seen patches contributed back to the master repository at squeakvm.org?
>
> I have seen not so many changes coming from the squeakvm repository, comparing
> to our repository at gitorious... so from my naïve point of view I consider
> the latter one more important.
>
> besides svn does not play along with multiple fixes / multiple people working.
> just look at github, how programmer kids today work on software today:
> unstructured, multi forked, do-what-you-want. If you have something interesting
> you propose it as a pull-request, and that works extremely well with unstructured,
> loose organizations

However, having a trunk handled with SVN and branches handled with git
is perfectly manageable right?

Nicolas

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

Camillo Bruni-3

> However, having a trunk handled with SVN and branches handled with git
> is perfectly manageable right?

I don't think so. Are there currently any changes flowing back to the SVN trunk?

But then again, how many merges have I done in SVN 1, in git? gazillions...
concerning merging, SVN is simply outdated, any new distributed versioning
system (mercurial, git...) outperforms SVN by far.

And so far I must say that git allows me to develop much more agile than SVN.

Re: Changing my mailing list subscription

Frank Shearar-3

On 5 September 2012 21:12, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> However, having a trunk handled with SVN and branches handled with git
>> is perfectly manageable right?
>
> I don't think so. Are there currently any changes flowing back to the SVN trunk?
>
> But then again, how many merges have I done in SVN 1, in git? gazillions...
> concerning merging, SVN is simply outdated, any new distributed versioning
> system (mercurial, git...) outperforms SVN by far.
>
> And so far I must say that git allows me to develop much more agile than SVN.

There's nothing stopping anyone from using git-svn [1] to push to the
SVN repository. (I agree that git is incomparably superior to svn in
every way, but this would allow changes to flow to the supposedly
canonical repository _today_.)

frank

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

On 2012-09-05, at 23:13, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 September 2012 21:12, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> However, having a trunk handled with SVN and branches handled with git
>>> is perfectly manageable right?
>>
>> I don't think so. Are there currently any changes flowing back to the SVN trunk?
>>
>> But then again, how many merges have I done in SVN 1, in git? gazillions...
>> concerning merging, SVN is simply outdated, any new distributed versioning
>> system (mercurial, git...) outperforms SVN by far.
>>
>> And so far I must say that git allows me to develop much more agile than SVN.
>
> There's nothing stopping anyone from using git-svn [1] to push to the
> SVN repository. (I agree that git is incomparably superior to svn in
> every way, but this would allow changes to flow to the supposedly
> canonical repository _today_.)

sure, but nobody does it? I see changes being imported that way into
the git repository. but I doubt that it's our responsibility to push
them back. But as you say, everybody is invited to do so, the tools
are there...

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 04:20:07PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2012-09-05, at 04:31, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Are the cog tracker emails helpful, or too much noise? As vm-dev list
> > admin, I turned them on based on a request to do so, but if it is too
> > much information, I'll turn it back off. The cog issue tracker is open to
> > everyone, so there is no real need to provide an automated feed to vm-dev
> > if it is causing too much traffic.
> >
> > Opinions?
>

> I very much like code diffs sent to the mailing list to keep everyone informed what's going on. Bug tracker traffic usually is more noisy. E.g. for Etoys we have two lists - the developer list which also gets code commit diffs, and a "notify" list which gets bug tracker updates and non-code commits (translated strings mostly). As one of the Etoys "core" developers I am subscribed to both lists, of course. So here on vm-dev, if the traffic turns out to be too much, we could create a vm-notify list. But for now I'd give it a try, at least for a couple of weeks.

Several people indicated that they like the updates a lot, and nobody
seems strongly against. Let's keep them going.

> It would be nice of course if the work on those tickets went back into the official VMs. So far the work going on in the git repositories has been more or less invisible. I don't think I have seen patches contributed back to the master repository at squeakvm.org?

With respect to the platform sources, there were some trunk/Cross updates
contributed by Andreas and Eliot some time ago, but aside from that
nothing so far as I am aware. There is no current activity around merging
or otherwise reconciling the trunk and oscog branches.

Patches for the VMMaker branches are easier to keep in sync, with
updates currently being made in both trunk and oscog branches. There
has been some progress in merging and aligning the branches, and in
most cases a VMMaker patch in the oscog branch can easily be applied
to trunk and vice versa. The process is getting somewhat easier as
VMMaker trunk is being refactored to better align with oscog (for
example, common interpreter primitives in InterpreterPrimitives for
both Cog and interpreter VM).

Dave