Changing the foreground/background colour of a selected row in the Dataset Widget in VW 7.7.1

Changing the foreground/background colour of a selected row in the Dataset Widget in VW 7.7.1

Chris Morgan (ITG)
I been experimenting with the Dataset widget in VW 7.7.1 and it pretty much provides the functionality that I require.
One thing has me stumped for the moment however is how to change the background/foreground colour of a selected row(s) in the widget.
I have captured the triggered event rowSelectionsChanging so I know when a row is selected.
The Dataset widget is implemented by the MultiSelectionDataSetView class and the instance of this has the selected row index but I can't see any methods of this or it's super classes that will enabled me to set the background/foreground colours of the row to indicate selection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Chris Morgan

NOTICE

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.

VW7.6 and Seaside, VM crashes

Carl Gundel
I have problems with my Seaside 2.8 app on a VW7.6 image on Windows XP.  After some number of hours, even if I hardly use the app, the VM will get very slow and then crash with a protection violation.  I'm not doing anything fancy such as calling APIs.  An earlier version of the same app running on VW7.4.1 and Seaside 2.6 will usually run for months without anything bad happening.  I've tried using the VW7.1.1 VM with no improvement.

Anyone else seeing this sort of problem?

-Carl Gundel
Liberty BASIC for Windows - http://www.libertybasic.com
Run BASIC, easy web programming - http://www.runbasic.com

Re: VW7.6 and Seaside, VM crashes

Carl Gundel
Correction.  I meant to say that I tried using the VW7.7.1 VM, not 7.1.1.

-Carl

>I have problems with my Seaside 2.8 app on a VW7.6 image on Windows XP.
>After some number of hours, even if I hardly use the app, the VM will get
>very slow and then crash with a protection violation.  I'm not doing
>anything fancy such as calling APIs.  An earlier version of the same app
>running on VW7.4.1 and Seaside 2.6 will usually run for months without
>anything bad happening.  I've tried using the VW7.1.1 VM with no
>improvement.
>
> Anyone else seeing this sort of problem?
>
> -Carl Gundel
> Liberty BASIC for Windows - http://www.libertybasic.com
> Run BASIC, easy web programming - http://www.runbasic.com

Re: VW7.6 and Seaside, VM crashes

Andres Valloud-6
That's odd, I'd expect VMs before 7.7.1 to crash more often given the
improvements that have happened over the years.  I am also curious about
what causes the VM to crash.  Could you run your application with the
assert or debug console VMs, and see if there is any interesting output
before the crash?

On 1/21/2011 7:17 AM, Carl Gundel wrote:

> I have problems with my Seaside 2.8 app on a VW7.6 image on Windows XP.  After some number of hours, even if I hardly use the app, the VM will get very slow and then crash with a protection violation.  I'm not doing anything fancy such as calling APIs.  An earlier version of the same app running on VW7.4.1 and Seaside 2.6 will usually run for months without anything bad happening.  I've tried using the VW7.1.1 VM with no improvement.
>
> Anyone else seeing this sort of problem?
>
> -Carl Gundel
> Liberty BASIC for Windows - http://www.libertybasic.com
> Run BASIC, easy web programming - http://www.runbasic.com

Re: VW7.6 and Seaside, VM crashes

Alan Knight-2
Gets very slow and then crashes sounds suspiciously like memory
consumption growing indefinitely to me, either Smalltalk memory or a
leak of OS memory of some sort.

On 2011-01-21 10:17 AM, Carl Gundel wrote:

> I have problems with my Seaside 2.8 app on a VW7.6 image on Windows XP.  After some number of hours, even if I hardly use the app, the VM will get very slow and then crash with a protection violation.  I'm not doing anything fancy such as calling APIs.  An earlier version of the same app running on VW7.4.1 and Seaside 2.6 will usually run for months without anything bad happening.  I've tried using the VW7.1.1 VM with no improvement.
>
> Anyone else seeing this sort of problem?
>
> -Carl Gundel
> Liberty BASIC for Windows - http://www.libertybasic.com
> Run BASIC, easy web programming - http://www.runbasic.com

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com

Re: VW7.6 and Seaside, VM crashes

Carl Gundel-2
Yeah Alan, that does sound like a memory consumption problem but it
doesn't seem to be.  It doesn't give me a low memory warning, I didn't
see any indication of runaway garbage collection and the machine
doesn't slow down, just the VW image.  When I get a chance I'll give
it another try and check memory consumption more carefully.
Perhaps it may benefit me to create a clean image from visual.im.  I
wonder if it's worth mentioning that I was running another Seaside app
on the same box based on VW7.4.1 and Seaside 2.6 at the same time.

I thought to try my application on Linux to see if I would have the
same trouble.  My Seaside app (a version of Run BASIC for mobile
users) has been running 6 days now without a glitch on VW 7.6 and
Ubuntu 8 and only 512MB RAM (the problematic Windows XP box has 2GB).
I wonder if it will run so well on Windows 7.  I will need to go
purchase a license and upgrade one of my machines to give it a go.

-Carl Gundel
http://www.libertybasic.com
http://www.runbasic.com