Charting and PDF export

Tomas Carini
I would like to program a reporting tool.
Seaside seems great to handle all the web stuff, but I'll need
charting and exporting to xls and pdf.
What are the options to achieve this wiht Squeak? It would be much
better with VW?

Re: Charting and PDF export

Ken Treis
Hi Tomas,

I typically export to Excel via CSV. I don't know what your needs are
in that regard, but it has worked well for me.

As for PDF, my favorite choice is Cairo. VisualWorks has a very good
Cairo binding. I'm not aware of any current Cairo work being done in
Squeak. I run Seaside in VisualWorks.

Ken

On Jun 22, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Tomas Carini wrote:

> I would like to program a reporting tool.
> Seaside seems great to handle all the web stuff, but I'll need
> charting and exporting to xls and pdf.
> What are the options to achieve this wiht Squeak? It would be much
> better with VW?

Ken Treis
Miriam Technologies, Inc.

RE: Charting and PDF export

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Charts,
- http://www.fusioncharts.com

PDF,
- http://www.realobjects.com/PDFreactor.808.0.html

Excel,
- We just use CSV

Cheers,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

cbc

Re: Charting and PDF export

cbc
On 6/22/07, Ken Treis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not aware of any current Cairo work being done in
Squeak.

There is some work being done on Cairo in Squeak: Rome.

Re: Charting and PDF export

Rajeev Lochan
Dear Seasiders,
I have a similar issue. I am making a Webapplication on SqueakSeaside. It has to do with users uploading their contents in the form of a list.
Presently I have a Component, in which user can enter item one by  one. If the user has to enter a large  number of items, how can that be done.

One solution is from a Excel file. Can someone throw more light on how exactly this is going to work and how exactly CSV works.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajeev

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside" target="_blank">http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside

--
Rajeev Lochan

Co-founder, AR-CAD.com

http://www.ar-cad.com
+91 9212090622 (Gurgaon)
080 65355873 (Bangalore)

Re: Charting and PDF export

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 06:32:42PM +0530, Rajeev Lochan wrote:
>    Dear Seasiders,
>    I have a similar issue. I am making a Webapplication on SqueakSeaside. It
>    has to do with users uploading their contents in the form of a list.
>    Presently I have a Component, in which user can enter item one by  one. If
>    the user has to enter a large  number of items, how can that be done.

DabbleDB uses copy and paste from an excel file. One selects the
cells in the worksheet, copies them, then pastes that into a
textarea at DabbleDB. You can see it working in their demo
video:
http://dabbledb.com/explore/7minutedemo/

Re: Charting and PDF export

Rajeev Lochan
Thanks for the direction. I am sort of working on textArea now. I have rendered a textArea and the input entered by the user is saved in an instance variable bulk. As of now, I am concentrating on users entering the contents separated by comas.

html textArea value: self bulk;

                callback: [:value | self bulk: value].

                html submitButton callback: [self addBulk]; text: 'Add Bulk'.

When I hit "Add Bulk" Button, the contents which are separated by comas, should be added as individual items to a List.(I have a method which adds individual items).

But I am stuck at the point as to how to convert textArea contents separated by comas to individual items.

Help needed.

Regards,
Rajeev

On 6/25/07, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 06:32:42PM +0530, Rajeev Lochan wrote:
>    Dear Seasiders,
>    I have a similar issue. I am making a Webapplication on SqueakSeaside. It
>    has to do with users uploading their contents in the form of a list.
>    Presently I have a Component, in which user can enter item one by  one. If
>    the user has to enter a large  number of items, how can that be done.

DabbleDB uses copy and paste from an excel file. One selects the
cells in the worksheet, copies them, then pastes that into a
textarea at DabbleDB. You can see it working in their demo
video:
http://dabbledb.com/explore/7minutedemo/

Rajeev Lochan

Co-founder, AR-CAD.com

http://www.ar-cad.com
+91 9212090622 (Gurgaon)
080 65355873 (Bangalore)

Re: Charting and PDF export

Jason Johnson-3
Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 06:32:42PM +0530, Rajeev Lochan wrote:
>
>>    Dear Seasiders,
>>    I have a similar issue. I am making a Webapplication on SqueakSeaside. It
>>    has to do with users uploading their contents in the form of a list.
>>    Presently I have a Component, in which user can enter item one by  one. If
>>    the user has to enter a large  number of items, how can that be done.
>>

> DabbleDB uses copy and paste from an excel file. One selects the
> cells in the worksheet, copies them, then pastes that into a
> textarea at DabbleDB. You can see it working in their demo
> video:
> http://dabbledb.com/explore/7minutedemo/

Are there no bindings from excel to smalltalk?  I know Perl has that on
CPAN for reference.