Charting/graphing/data visualization

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

I recently found this nice data visualization libraries overview:

        http://selection.datavisualization.ch/.

Besides Raphael and HighCharts, the D3.js http://d3js.org/ impressed me
most. This is lower level visualization library with many addons for
many different usages. It seems it could be useful to make a Smalltalk
interface to it as well.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: Charting/graphing/data visualization

Geert Claes
Administrator
Janko Mivšek wrote
I recently found this nice data visualization libraries overview:  http://selection.datavisualization.ch

Besides Raphael and HighCharts, the D3.js http://d3js.org/ impressed me most. This is lower level visualization library with many addons for many different usages. It seems it could be useful to make a Smalltalk interface to it as well.
This is a good resource as well: http://www.fromdev.com/2012/05/15-awesome-open-source-javascript.html

From my understanding, D3.js and HighCharts are similar solutions.  The D3 library does seem very impressive ... BUT ... it does seem a lot harder to find examples and documenation as apposed to HighCharts.  From my experience, its not that hard to get something to look nice using HighCharts and it looks like D3 is more powerfull but also more complicated.  I like how HighCharts uses jsFiddle to show how to get certain graph types to work.

Maybe the solution is having them as add-ins?  Let people choose to load HichCharts or D3js or ... and Bootstrap or Foundations or ...?

Re: Charting/graphing/data visualization

Geert Claes
Administrator
Janko Mivšek wrote
Besides Raphael and HighCharts, the D3.js http://d3js.org/ impressed me most. This is lower level visualization library with many addons for many different usages. It seems it could be useful to make a Smalltalk interface to it as well.
Just wanted to share another javascript data visualisation library I am pretty impressed with .... which from my understanding is MIT which gives it an edge over the HighCharts I like too.

I noticed the cool looking charts in a very nice looking Bootstrap template and discovered they used Flot.

ps. Looks like they are building a jsFiddle type charting prototyping tool called Foddle!

Anyhow, I reckon this would be a cool add-on for AIDA.

Refs:
https://wrapbootstrap.com/theme/acme-dashboard-bootstrap-admin-template-WB0JLR295
http://www.flotcharts.org
https://github.com/flot/flot
http://foddle.xdevelopers.net

Re: Charting/graphing/data visualization

Geert Claes
Administrator
Forgot to mention these 2 cool looking jQuery add-on charts the template uses too:
- jQuery Knob (MIT)
- jQuery Sparkline (BSD)