Charting project started

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

I'm glad to announce a first Aida project which is paid open source and
where Nico as community member is involved.

Namely, for my new project for our gas company Geoplin we need plotting
the charts (more precisely Control charts and histograms) and this is a
nice opportunity for Aida to get a decent charting package as well. So I
made a deal with Nico to develop such charting support. We also agreed
that result will be open source, available to all. That's why we are
inviting all of you to contribute with your comments and suggestions.

This is also the first project of such kind in our community and I
really like to have more of them in the future so that we will develop a
network of Aida professionals to work on the virtual projects like this
one. That way Aida will become for you also something for food, not just
something for fun :)

Let we ask Nico for more details of the project and activities so far...

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Charting project started

Nicolas Petton

> Let we ask Nico for more details of the project and activities so far...

Hi all,

For this project I did some research about opensource chart JS
libraries. I finally choose ProtoChart.

I'm just starting to integrate it into Aida. My first goal is to be able
to use the entire API in Smalltalk, after that I'll see how I can
improve it, or even extend the library if it's needed.

As soon as I will have something working, I will open a SqueasSource (or
SPM?) project to share the code.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si

nico wrote:
>> Let we ask Nico for more details of the project and activities so far...

> For this project I did some research about opensource chart JS
> libraries. I finally choose ProtoChart.
>
> I'm just starting to integrate it into Aida. My first goal is to be able
> to use the entire API in Smalltalk, after that I'll see how I can
> improve it, or even extend the library if it's needed.

It would be desirable to try to make that API as general as possible,
with future changing of chart JS library in mind. Now you investigated
other libraries, therefore you know similarities. Name methods so that
they will be more or less the same if you change the library behind. Or
at least try to name them that way.

Reason to be careful is that we could some day change underlying
Prototype library with some other. It would be just nice if such change
won't affect existing Aida apps a lot.

> As soon as I will have something working, I will open a SqueasSource (or
> SPM?) project to share the code.

I see SPM (Squeak Project Manager) to be meant for a bit larger projects
like Aida or Scribo, or more standalone ones like Swazoo. For smaller
projects like this one I would therefore rather use Aida SPM. Which
doesn't exist yet, maybe a time to create it on http://aida.aidaweb.si?

Should we also think about extending SPM to better support such subprojects?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Charting project started

Janko Mivšek
Also, how to name it, AidaCharts or something better?

Janko

Le mardi 11 novembre 2008 à 22:17 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> Also, how to name it, AidaCharts or something better?

Yep, currently I named it AidaCharts

Le mardi 11 novembre 2008 à 22:15 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :

> nico wrote:
> >> Let we ask Nico for more details of the project and activities so far...
>
> > For this project I did some research about opensource chart JS
> > libraries. I finally choose ProtoChart.
> >
> > I'm just starting to integrate it into Aida. My first goal is to be able
> > to use the entire API in Smalltalk, after that I'll see how I can
> > improve it, or even extend the library if it's needed.
>
> It would be desirable to try to make that API as general as possible,
> with future changing of chart JS library in mind. Now you investigated
> other libraries, therefore you know similarities. Name methods so that
> they will be more or less the same if you change the library behind. Or
> at least try to name them that way.
It's not really possible, those libraries are very different from each
other, and even if I try to name smalltalk methods as general as
possible, the underlying JS code won't work if we change the JS library.

What I meant when I told you that I wanted to make those smalltalk
classes as general as possible is that for example I have a Smalltalk
class name WebJsFunction which will be printed as...a Javascript
function. It's not a Smalltalk to Js converter, just an easy way to
write JS functions from Aida.

Those utility classes should be as general as possible, so we can reuse
them later, for other JS integration.

> > As soon as I will have something working, I will open a SqueasSource (or
> > SPM?) project to share the code.
>
> I see SPM (Squeak Project Manager) to be meant for a bit larger projects
> like Aida or Scribo, or more standalone ones like Swazoo.

Yes, you are right.

> For smaller
> projects like this one I would therefore rather use Aida SPM. Which
> doesn't exist yet, maybe a time to create it on http://aida.aidaweb.si?

If you can point this subdomain to my server, sure, I'll do it.

> Should we also think about extending SPM to better support such subprojects?

Hehe, unfotunately I didn't have time to improve SPM lately. First I
would like to make it work with recent versions of Scribo, and with
MC2 :)

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton