Check a text - is it a date?

Jeff Gray
How do I check a text for holding a date value?
isNumber is handy for numbers. Is there anything like that?

The scenario I'm looking at is making sure a value in a Seaside control has been entered correctly.

Re: Check a text - is it a date?

NorbertHartl

On 15.11.2010, at 07:26, Jeff Gray wrote:

How do I check a text for holding a date value?
isNumber is handy for numbers. Is there anything like that?

No, there isn't as far as I know. Checking isNumber is rather easy because you can decide it by looking at a single character. A format like date you have to parse.

The scenario I'm looking at is making sure a value in a Seaside control has
been entered correctly.

You can try to parse the date

| date |
[ date := DateAndTime fromString: aMightBeADate ]
   on: Error
   do: [ :err | ].

After that your date test is isNil. Either you get the parsed date or it is nil if it couldn't parse a date.

Norbert

Re: Check a text - is it a date?

Daniel Klein

| amIaDate |
[amIaDate asDate]
on: Exception
do: [:ex | Transcript show: 'That''s not a date, you fool!']

Dan

Re: Check a text - is it a date?

Daniel Klein
Oops, missed a line :-(