Checking in

basilmir
Ok, so I had a look around to get a feel for the project and the people involved. I'd like to say a couple of things and ask a few questions.

1. Reading a bit of history into the project (plus the github stats) there are 4-8 people involved and from what I understand Nicolas Petton used to be the Amber repository maintainer, that role being now passed on to Herbert Vojcik. (Impressive stats by the way on both of you, thank you for making Amber a reality with the hours you put in!)

2. Looking at the project history I can see the "make it work" milestone happened quite a while ago and right now effort seems focused on expanding the development environment with the debugger in mid 2013 and then working it's way up into a revamp of the Browser. That effort materialized into Helios IDE. From my "outside looking in" point of view, the Browser functionality seems similar (a bit slower perhaps?), the main difference being that it now integrates the Documentation. Am I missing something, what else can it do? I remember hearing about "remote" something.

Re: Checking in

Herby Vojčík
It is decoupled. It observes an image via Environment instance, and whether it the image in which Helios itself is loaded (as is case when you clone amber-smalltalk/helios and run index.html), or it observes different frame (as is case of Helios loaded in window of its own when used as IDE for a typical project), it always uses "remote" interface.

It is not actually remote in the sense, in only works inter-frame in the same browser and under same domain because of CORS. But since the access goes always via Environment plug and socket, maybe more truly remote access can be implemented.

Then, it knows a few more details. Like the ones I see as beneficial - it can edit and save a method and commit the correct package (either one with with class or one of protocol if method is an extension method) even outside the Browser per se (in reference view, for example).

Mircea S. wrote:
> Ok, so I had a look around to get a feel for the project and the
> people involved. I'd like to
say a couple of things and ask a few

> questions.
>
> 1. Reading a bit of history into the project (plus the github stats)
> there are 4-8 people involved and from what I understand Nicolas
> Petton used to be the Amber repository maintainer, that role being now
> passed on to Herbert Vojcik. (Impressive stats by the way on both of
> you, thank you for making Amber a reality with the hours you put in!)
>
> 2. Looking at the project history I can see the "make it work"
> milestone happened quite a while ago and right now effort seems
> focused on expanding the development environment with the debugger in
> mid 2013 and then working it's way up into a revamp of the Browser.
> That effort materialized into Helios IDE. From my "outside looking in"
> point of view, the Browser functionality seems similar (a bit slower
> perhaps?), the main difference being that it now integrates the
> Documentation. Am I missing something, what else can it do? I remember
> hearing abo
ut "remote" something.