Cheers to the Environments developer!

jtuchel
Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for all the nice things in the new Environments feature of VAST, which make life much easier:

* You can select whether you want to create an 8.6 or an 8.6.1 image
* If you start an 8.6.0 image, it is started on the old VM (85), an 8.6.1 image is started on the new one (86)
* if you want to copy a new clean image into your environment, Environments prompts you if you also want to copy abt.ini

I am sure I haven't found all the little well-thought out features that you guys put in there, but I like what I've found so far.
I was first shocked when I saw that the VAST installer added the new stuff into the existing installation path without even giving me a chance to install into a new directory. But Environments makes this easy and as far as I've seen so far, keeps things together!

Joachim

Re: Cheers to the Environments developer!

jtuchel
Hi again,

so there is one thing that it doesn't do, I just didn't look carefully enough:

* If you start an 8.6.0 image, it is started on the old VM (85), an 8.6.1 image is started on the new one (86)

This is not happening. The image is always started on the latest VM (86). I must have looked at a wrong Transcript or the startup String in a previously saved image was incorrect

So even though I have to remove one item from the list: I am still quite happy with Environments!

Joachim

Am Montag, 8. Dezember 2014 09:52:32 UTC+1 schrieb Joachim Tuchel:
[...]

John O'Keefe-3
Joachim -

There is only one set of executables for each release, so installing 8.6.1 overlays the 8.6 binaries. This is the way it has worked on Windows for as long as I can remember. Environments knows nothing about 8.5.

I'm not sure why you thought it was a good thing for an 8.6 image to start on the old (85) VM.

John

On Monday, December 8, 2014 8:29:49 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
[...]

John,

I thought it's a good thing because if you are working on both a production stream as well as a new development stream, with the production stream being deployed on machines with an old VM installed, it is a good thing if you can develop and debug on the same VM as the one that's out there in the wild.

The other question is: how did I come to the idea that VAST Environments switches VMs. I think it was due to the fact that an image saved back on the old 8.6 environment had the startup string in the Transcript that showed the VM Version as (85), but pressing Ctrl-R then showed me that it's indeed (86).
Are you saying that an image that starts up with a VM version string ending in "(85)" dates back to 8.5? I doubt it. I am quite sure I have no 8.5 images around any more...

But for the rest of the Environments features that I think are new (at least I never realized them in 8.6) - and truly exist :-))) - my enthusiasm remains ;-)

Joachim