Cincom Smalltalk Plans: UI

12

Re: Cincom Smalltalk Plans: UI

Dave Stevenson-2
Actually, it was late on 10 Sep, not 11 Sep.

Dave

wully wrote:
> It is a strange coincidence: the announcement of the dead of widgetry
> was on 9-11!

Re: Cincom Smalltalk Plans: UI

Cesar Rabak
Ron Dobbelstein escreveu:

I'll give my shot:

> Can somebody tell me how  viable the suggestion made by Thomas is (see
> below)?

At one thousand feet view it seems that the suggestion is viable and the
kind of technical issues would be similar to the use of openGL in VW.

> Are there any technical issues that make it impossible? Does
> anyone have an idea of the workload involved (do we have to think in
> terms of man months or man years?). Could it be done as a community effort?

Again using the guess-of-meter, it would depend on how tight we want the
integration to be: if we look for a loose integration we could try using
DLCC to call the API in the shared library of the platform OS.

More elaborated ways would require coordination with Cincom to change
the VM code.

> It seems to me that in the long run Cincom will not be able to maintain
> everything that is currently part of the Cincom Smalltalk product.
> Interfacing with an existing cross platform widget framework seems to me
> one of the strategic choices and it will free resources for doing other
> more pressing stuff. I think this is a better way to go than other
> suggestions I have heard like open sourcing Widgetry and making a
> community effort of extending and maintaining it.

I think that in addition to a possible use of wxwidgets we could also
see the feasibility of keep improving Widgetry.

My .019999....

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.