Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

12

Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Damien Cassou
Hi,

Kasper Østerbye has just finished a proof-of-concept that renders Pillar
text inside a class comment pane.

From the view, the developer can press $ (dollar) to edit the document in Pillar.

Best regards,

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

pillar-in-nautilus-view.png (111K) Download Attachment

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Thierry Goubier
Cool!

This is the way to go.

Thierry

Kasper Østerbye has just finished a proof-of-concept that renders Pillar
text inside a class comment pane.

From the view, the developer can press $ (dollar) to edit the document in Pillar.

Best regards,

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Kasper Osterbye
Thanks Damien for putting this on the mailing list.

A few words about the state of that Pillar-TextRenderer.

The TextRenderer accepts at least the commands shown by the screenshot noted by Damien. In addition I would like to point to a special link type I added: *LinkText>pharo://Classname[/methodname]* which will render a link which when clicked will open a new Nautilus browser on said class and method.
(I think that link syntax migh actually be useful in both the HTML and Latex Pillar exporters as well, perhaps just extracting the source and inserting it inline in the produced document. - but perhaps that is already done using some other feature I overlooked).

I am rather overwhelmed by the PluggableTextView and other TextMorphs, so please understand that the supplied functionality is most likely not the right way to do this, but it seems to work.

And Kilon, you are more than welcome to contact me and introduce me to this project of yours. As new to the morphic system I can tell you that documentation is really needed here.

-- Kasper

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

kilon.alios
Just pop open the Configuration Browser and choose to install MorphicDoc. I am now trying to understand how layout policies for morphs works which is what I will be documenting next.

Your link feature is also very important for me because I am taking advantage of the examples methods of Nautilus to provide an easy way for people to run examples based on documentation , having a link makes my life even easier.

Together with MorphicDoc its my desire to develop a secondary project I have talked about in the past but did not have the confidence to pursue, called "Prometheas". I was thinking 2 things for the near future a) Better Pillar support for help tool (it already support very basic pillar)  , already your work makes my life a lot easier b) better integration with GTSpotter for help tool.

So if you can provide me a link to your code, even if your code is far from final it will at least give me a good idea how things work. Suffice to see I am very fresh with Morphic myself but I love to learn it, document it and improve it.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 7:27 PM, KasperOsterbye <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Kasper Osterbye wrote
I am rather overwhelmed by the PluggableTextView and other TextMorphs
Welcome to the club! The only members are brave souls who dare to fight with the current editor mess before Tx brings us (hopefully soon) a beautiful design.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Peter Uhnak
You might also consider Rubric instead of raw Morphic.

Peter

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kasper Osterbye wrote
> I am rather overwhelmed by the PluggableTextView and other TextMorphs

Welcome to the club! The only members are brave souls who dare to fight with
the current editor mess before Tx brings us (hopefully soon) a beautiful
design.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Kasper Osterbye
kilon.alios wrote
So if you can provide me a link to your code, even if your code is far from
final it will at least give me a good idea how things work. Suffice to see
I am very fresh with Morphic myself but I love to learn it, document it and
improve it.
The packages are named Pillar-TextRenderer (to be loaded first) and Pillar-NautilusProofOfConcept (goes second). The proof of concept overrides one method in the nautilus browser, so to go back you need to revert that change (versions is your friend here).

The key method in the Pillar-TextRenderer is: PRDecoratedTextWriter class>>on: aParsedPillarDoc

-- Kasper

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

kilon.alios
ok, but where and which repo ? Smalltalkhub ? GitHub ? Is part of Pillar ? How I install these packages ?

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Kasper Osterbye <[hidden email]> wrote:
kilon.alios wrote
> So if you can provide me a link to your code, even if your code is far
> from
> final it will at least give me a good idea how things work. Suffice to see
> I am very fresh with Morphic myself but I love to learn it, document it
> and
> improve it.

The packages are named Pillar-TextRenderer (to be loaded first) and
Pillar-NautilusProofOfConcept (goes second). The proof of concept overrides
one method in the nautilus browser, so to go back you need to revert that
change (versions is your friend here).

The key method in the Pillar-TextRenderer is: PRDecoratedTextWriter
class>>on: aParsedPillarDoc

-- Kasper

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

stepharo
Kasper

an idea: what about a version of FileSystem that can be used to navigate
classes?
Thanks for the renderer and yes these classes suck
Stef

Le 15/4/15 18:27, KasperOsterbye a écrit :

> Thanks Damien for putting this on the mailing list.
>
> A few words about the state of that Pillar-TextRenderer.
>
> The TextRenderer accepts at least the commands shown by the screenshot noted
> by Damien. In addition I would like to point to a special link type I added:
> *LinkText>pharo://Classname[/methodname]* which will render a link which
> when clicked will open a new Nautilus browser on said class and method.
> (I think that link syntax migh actually be useful in both the HTML and Latex
> Pillar exporters as well, perhaps just extracting the source and inserting
> it inline in the produced document. - but perhaps that is already done using
> some other feature I overlooked).
>
> I am rather overwhelmed by the PluggableTextView and other TextMorphs, so
> please understand that the supplied functionality is most likely not the
> right way to do this, but it seems to work.
>
> And Kilon, you are more than welcome to contact me and introduce me to this
> project of yours. As new to the morphic system I can tell you that
> documentation is really needed here.
>
> -- Kasper

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Kasper Osterbye
stepharo wrote
an idea: what about a version of FileSystem that can be used to navigate
classes?
I assume there is some tooling you would like to re-use?

If that is the case, I would think it would be more useful to look into what might be the right common abstraction between filesystem and class/method hierarchy - but it is hard to say without knowing the problem you were thinking of (and was it related to the text-renderer in some way I did not see?)

-- Kasper

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Tudor Girba-2
Is the highlighting happening live?

Could you please look at what already exists in the inspector integration. There you already have syntax highlighting as you type. I think it would be more useful to consolidate the live highlighting around Rubric than to invest in TextMorph:

This road would be even better if we would get a better parser (in my view based on PetitParser) for Pillar.

Cheers,
Doru

stepharo wrote

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Kasper Osterbye
In short, no, it is not live, you switch between the two modes.

I’ll look at the link you sendt me later.

Best,

Kasper

On 16 apr., 2015, at 07:56 , Tudor Girba-2 [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is the highlighting happening live?

Could you please look at what already exists in the inspector integration. There you already have syntax highlighting as you type. I think it would be more useful to consolidate the live highlighting around Rubric than to invest in TextMorph:

This road would be even better if we would get a better parser (in my view based on PetitParser) for Pillar.

Cheers,
Doru

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Kasper Osterbye <<a href="x-msg://9/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4819813&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:
stepharo wrote

http://forum.world.st/Class-comments-rendered-in-Nautilus-through-Pillar-tp4819726p4819813.html
NAML

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

stepharo
I was just thinking about an experiment to map our world into a kind of
file system and use it to navigate
because in your link you want to refer to the class/method
and in fact it could be package/class/method package/resource or
package/class/resources (that we may have one day)

but this was just an idea

Le 15/4/15 21:42, Kasper Osterbye a écrit :

> stepharo wrote
>> an idea: what about a version of FileSystem that can be used to navigate
>> classes?
> I assume there is some tooling you would like to re-use?
>
> If that is the case, I would think it would be more useful to look into what
> might be the right common abstraction between filesystem and class/method
> hierarchy - but it is hard to say without knowing the problem you were
> thinking of (and was it related to the text-renderer in some way I did not
> see?)
>
> -- Kasper

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Kasper Osterbye
stepharo wrote
I was just thinking about an experiment to map our world into a kind of
file system and use it to navigate
because in your link you want to refer to the class/method
and in fact it could be package/class/method package/resource or
package/class/resources (that we may have one day)
He he - yes, I have had all kinds of thoughts in that direction. But at the moment it is most likely not where I will look.

If anything - I would rather take a look on how one can use pillar-markup inside method comments, and try to see if one can find a way to make the interaction work. It should somehow be possible to hack into the syntax highlighter to do this, but I am not sure.

Right now, I will try to consolidate what I did. But Damien suggested I just hold back until the Tx work is further progressed.

kilon alios <[hidden email]> writes:

> ok, but where and which repo ? Smalltalkhub ? GitHub ? Is part of Pillar ?
> How I install these packages ?

load a Pillar image from
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Pillar (using the launcher
for example :-)) and load Pillar-TextRenderer and
Pillar-NautilusProofOfConcept in this order from the pillar repository
(already in monticello).

KasperOsterbye <[hidden email]> writes:

> The TextRenderer accepts at least the commands shown by the screenshot noted
> by Damien. In addition I would like to point to a special link type I added:
> *LinkText>pharo://Classname[/methodname]* which will render a link which
> when clicked will open a new Nautilus browser on said class and
> method.

I'm a bit skeptical about this syntax has it is heavyweight and I'm not
sure developers will want to use it. What about either:

1- let the developer simply write "TheClass" or "TheClass>>method" of
   "#method" and get links (when target entity exists)? That's the
   simplest.

2- or let the developer write ${pharo:TheClass}$,
   ${pharo:TheClass>>method}$ or ${pharo:#method}$? This is more complex
   but also more explicit.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Kasper Osterbye
Damien Cassou wrote
> The TextRenderer accepts at least the commands shown by the screenshot noted
> by Damien. In addition I would like to point to a special link type I added:
> *LinkText>pharo://Classname[/methodname]* which will render a link which
> when clicked will open a new Nautilus browser on said class and
> method.

I'm a bit skeptical about this syntax has it is heavyweight and I'm not
sure developers will want to use it. What about either:

1- let the developer simply write "TheClass" or "TheClass>>method" of
   "#method" and get links (when target entity exists)? That's the
   simplest.

2- or let the developer write ${pharo:TheClass}$,
   ${pharo:TheClass>>method}$ or ${pharo:#method}$? This is more complex
   but also more explicit.
I like it to be a link, and hence the * syntax. A short version could be
*>pharo://Class/method* - with auto picking the class or method name as link text
as no other links (atm) will be without link text, it might default to
*>Class/method*

It depends a bit on the parser if it will be able to read it, I cannot try it right now.

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

kilon.alios
thank you Damien, will give a look , may I also use configuration browser ? is it up to date ?

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

kilon alios <[hidden email]> writes:

> ok, but where and which repo ? Smalltalkhub ? GitHub ? Is part of Pillar ?
> How I install these packages ?

load a Pillar image from
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Pillar (using the launcher
for example :-)) and load Pillar-TextRenderer and
Pillar-NautilusProofOfConcept in this order from the pillar repository
(already in monticello).

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Class comments rendered in Nautilus (through Pillar)

Damien Cassou

kilon alios <[hidden email]> writes:

> thank you Damien, will give a look , may I also use configuration browser ?
> is it up to date ?

you can use the configuration browser to get Pillar, but not the
nautilus patch.