Class declaration syntax

Damien Pollet
Hi all,

back to Coral after a (much too long) teaching hiatus, I'm pondering
what the best solution is for the class declaration syntax.

The usual message will always work, of course:

SomeClass subclass: #NameOfNewClass
        instanceVariableNames: 'a b c'
        classVariableNames: 'D E F'
        poolDictionaries: ''
        category: 'Foo'

But one idea of the prototype was to make that a bit more flexible and
terse, by using a cascade:

SomeClass < #NameOfNewClass
        iv: 'a b c';
        shared: 'D E F';
        package: 'Foo'

Now the first problem is that #package is used by RPackage so
redefining it on Class breaks the system. #package: might be less
problematic but… for now I will switch back to #category:

I was thinking SomeClass < #NameOfNewClass should return a builder
object, but in that case there is no way for the builder to know when
the cascade is finished; it can of course do things on the fly, but
that implies recompiling the class for each message… not really
beautiful.

Suggestions?

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Class declaration syntax

Luc Fabresse

#Luc

2011/12/15 Damien Pollet <[hidden email]>
[...]

we can also fix that the package message should be always sent as the latest one by convention.
but that is not really good too.

Luc

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Class declaration syntax

abergel
> SomeClass < #NameOfNewClass
> iv: 'a b c';
> shared: 'D E F';
> package: 'Foo'

Why not:

SomeClass subclass: #NameOfNewClass
        vars: 'a b c D E F'
        package: 'APackage'

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Class declaration syntax

Marcus Denker-4

On Dec 15, 2011, at 3:36 PM, Damien Pollet wrote:

> I was thinking SomeClass < #NameOfNewClass should return a builder
> object, but in that case there is no way for the builder to know when
> the cascade is finished; it can of course do things on the fly, but
> that implies recompiling the class for each message… not really
> beautiful.
>
> Suggestions?

I think Alex has a point: just don't use cascades. Add all the needed methods.
(this forces people to keep the order, too).

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

On 15 December 2011 17:27, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think Alex has a point: just don't use cascades. Add all the needed methods.
> (this forces people to keep the order, too).

Fair enough.

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Class declaration syntax

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Pollet wrote
I'm pondering
what the best solution is for the class declaration syntax.
Suggestions?
SomeClass < #NameOfNewClass
        vars: 'a b c D E F'
        package: 'APackage'.

where "SomeClass < #NameOfNewClass" returns your builder. Now you can define the combinations on the builder, effectively making arguments optional without bloating Class:
package:
vars:package:
vars:classVars:package:
vars:pools:package:
pools:package:
classVars:package:
classVars:pools:package:
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Class declaration syntax

why do you want to have a builder?

Stef

On Dec 15, 2011, at 3:36 PM, Damien Pollet wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> back to Coral after a (much too long) teaching hiatus, I'm pondering
> what the best solution is for the class declaration syntax.
>
> The usual message will always work, of course:
>
> SomeClass subclass: #NameOfNewClass
> instanceVariableNames: 'a b c'
> classVariableNames: 'D E F'
> poolDictionaries: ''
> category: 'Foo'
>
> But one idea of the prototype was to make that a bit more flexible and
> terse, by using a cascade:
>
> SomeClass < #NameOfNewClass
> iv: 'a b c';
> shared: 'D E F';
> package: 'Foo'
>
> Now the first problem is that #package is used by RPackage so
> redefining it on Class breaks the system. #package: might be less
> problematic but… for now I will switch back to #category:
>
> I was thinking SomeClass < #NameOfNewClass should return a builder
> object, but in that case there is no way for the builder to know when
> the cascade is finished; it can of course do things on the fly, but
> that implies recompiling the class for each message… not really
> beautiful.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: Class declaration syntax

you should have also
shared
so you should get all the combination .
but damien just use the simplest one and we will see.
We should have a working version and that people use it + a documentation.