Class name prefix should be added to Squeak version?

Class name prefix should be added to Squeak version?

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi all,

When I tried AddressBook tutorial, I've encountered class name
conflict problem. There is already a class named Address in AIDA, and
the tutorial also introduces a new Address class.

In VW, there would be no problem, because of namespaces. But in
Squeak, probably we should add some prefixes to all AIDA (and Swazoo)
class names.

This is of course a 'big change', but since we have prepared a brand
new SqueakSource repository, it would be a good timing.

What do you think?

Best regards,
--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: Class name prefix should be added to Squeak version?

Nicolas Petton

Le mercredi 16 janvier 2008 à 20:34 +0900, Masashi UMEZAWA a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> When I tried AddressBook tutorial, I've encountered class name
> conflict problem. There is already a class named Address in AIDA, and
> the tutorial also introduces a new Address class.
>
> In VW, there would be no problem, because of namespaces. But in
> Squeak, probably we should add some prefixes to all AIDA (and Swazoo)
> class names.
>
> This is of course a 'big change', but since we have prepared a brand
> new SqueakSource repository, it would be a good timing.
>
> What do you think?
I agree with you.

Cheers!

> Best regards,

Re: Class name prefix should be added to Squeak version?

Janko Mivšek
Well, I had a bad feeling that a name clash will happen, but not so soon.

Aida has most classes already prefixed with Web (WebSession, WebElement
etc.) which is just natural for a web framework and you hardly noticed
that. I usually don't like prefixes like WA and similar, they just don't
sound well and spoil a natural language feeling of Smalltalk.

In case of Address and other in Party/Role framework, those classes were
added later when VW already had namespaces and I stoped caring about
such slashes. But now with proting to other Smalltalks we need to take
care of them again.

So, I propose to rename just those classes to something nice sounding
and not far from their intention, as it was in case of Web prefix. And
the same for Scribo classes too!

Any ideas about how to prefix all those classes?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Le mercredi 16 janvier 2008 à 15:38 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> Well, I had a bad feeling that a name clash will happen, but not so soon.
>
> Aida has most classes already prefixed with Web (WebSession, WebElement
> etc.) which is just natural for a web framework and you hardly noticed
> that. I usually don't like prefixes like WA and similar, they just don't
> sound well and spoil a natural language feeling of Smalltalk.
It is just a squeak convention, and almost every project use it.

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Class name prefix should be added to Squeak version?

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Well, I had a bad feeling that a name clash will happen, but not so soon.
>
> Aida has most classes already prefixed with Web (WebSession, WebElement
> etc.) which is just natural for a web framework and you hardly noticed
> that. I usually don't like prefixes like WA and similar, they just don't
> sound well and spoil a natural language feeling of Smalltalk.
>
> In case of Address and other in Party/Role framework, those classes were
> added later when VW already had namespaces and I stoped caring about
> such slashes. But now with proting to other Smalltalks we need to take
> care of them again.
>
> So, I propose to rename just those classes to something nice sounding
> and not far from their intention, as it was in case of Web prefix. And
> the same for Scribo classes too!
>
> Any ideas about how to prefix all those classes?
[snip original post]

I don't have a real solution, but possibly a semi-compromise that almost
qualifies for both goals. ??? :)

I don't know if such would cause problems or solve problems.

But how about simply using A for a prefix which also most of the time
looks or sounds reasonable. A for A(IDA).

AWebSession, AWebElement, AAddress, ...

It can stand as a prefix for AIDA and also read reasonably a fair amount
of time. But I don't if it causes other conflicts or issues.

Just a thought. I have no vested interest in it.

Jimmie

Re: Class name prefix should be added to Squeak version?

Nicholas Moore
How about simply prefixing with Aida -

AidaRole
AidaAddress
etc?

Nicholas

Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

Hi all,

When I tried AddressBook tutorial, I've encountered class name
conflict problem. There is already a class named Address in AIDA, and
the tutorial also introduces a new Address class.

In VW, there would be no problem, because of namespaces. But in
Squeak, probably we should add some prefixes to all AIDA (and Swazoo)
class names.

This is of course a 'big change', but since we have prepared a brand
new SqueakSource repository, it would be a good timing.

What do you think?

Best regards,

--
NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore

Re: Class name prefix should be added to Squeak version?

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi all,

I think 'Aida' is meaningful and nice. Other possible ones are 'AI' or
'AD'. Those are ugly but two letter prefix is common in Squeak,
Dolphin, etc.

Prefixing is not an ideal solution. So probably we should use it only
modestly. I hope someday we have real namespaces in Squeak.

2008/1/17, Nicholas Moore <[hidden email]>:

>  How about simply prefixing with Aida -
>
>  AidaRole
>  AidaAddress
>  etc?