Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

12

Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Simon Denier-3
I just performed a mass class renaming in Moose Algos Graph. Some classes still had the old prefix MO*, they now all have a MA* prefix. Class references in default Moose have been updated too (this includes DSM...)

So, if you use Moose-Algos-Graph and your package is not part of Moose default, you might to take a look and see if you need to update some references.

Also, the API of MAGraphAlgorithm has been extracted into trait MATGraphBuilder if someone wants to reuse it in a different setting (as requested). I don't support nested graph for now though, as it is not clear for me the best way to build them.

--
 Simon

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Lukas Renggli
Please note that the MA* (with an uppercase $A) prefix is already
taken by Magritte. Ma* (with a lowercase $a) is taken by Magma, if I
remember correctly they renamed their classes at some point a long
time ago to avoid the conflict with Magritte.

Lukas

On 27 September 2010 17:51, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just performed a mass class renaming in Moose Algos Graph. Some classes still had the old prefix MO*, they now all have a MA* prefix. Class references in default Moose have been updated too (this includes DSM...)
>
> So, if you use Moose-Algos-Graph and your package is not part of Moose default, you might to take a look and see if you need to update some references.
>

> Also, the API of MAGraphAlgorithm has been extracted into trait MATGraphBuilder if someone wants to reuse it in a different setting (as requested). I don't support nested graph for now though, as it is not clear for me the best way to build them.
>
> --
>  Simon

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

anquetil.nicolas
Not directly in the thread of the discussion :

I can understand the fear of having very long name, but:
- Abbreviation make it just a little bit more difficult to understand things
- the Pharo/Moose/... universe is already full of a lot of names (each
new project makes a point to add its contribution to the babel tower
of names) to the point that I felt the need to create a dictionary to
try to remember and understand what people where talking about.

In conclusion, I would suggest that people think a good deal before
using any abbreviations, and also before introducing any new project
name ...

nicolas

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please note that the MA* (with an uppercase $A) prefix is already
> taken by Magritte. Ma* (with a lowercase $a) is taken by Magma, if I
> remember correctly they renamed their classes at some point a long
> time ago to avoid the conflict with Magritte.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 27 September 2010 17:51, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just performed a mass class renaming in Moose Algos Graph. Some classes still had the old prefix MO*, they now all have a MA* prefix. Class references in default Moose have been updated too (this includes DSM...)
>>
>> So, if you use Moose-Algos-Graph and your package is not part of Moose default, you might to take a look and see if you need to update some references.
>>

>> Also, the API of MAGraphAlgorithm has been extracted into trait MATGraphBuilder if someone wants to reuse it in a different setting (as requested). I don't support nested graph for now though, as it is not clear for me the best way to build them.
>>
>> --
>>  Simon

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Nicolas Anquetil        Univ. Lille1 / INRIA-equipe RMod

On 27 sept. 2010, at 18:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Please note that the MA* (with an uppercase $A) prefix is already
> taken by Magritte. Ma* (with a lowercase $a) is taken by Magma, if I
> remember correctly they renamed their classes at some point a long
> time ago to avoid the conflict with Magritte.

ok, one issue is that all classes in Moose-Algos (not only Moose-Algos-Graph) are prefixed with MA so we will need to change that...

but at least now there is some consistency in class names.

> Lukas
>
> On 27 September 2010 17:51, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just performed a mass class renaming in Moose Algos Graph. Some classes still had the old prefix MO*, they now all have a MA* prefix. Class references in default Moose have been updated too (this includes DSM...)
>>
>> So, if you use Moose-Algos-Graph and your package is not part of Moose default, you might to take a look and see if you need to update some references.
>>

>> Also, the API of MAGraphAlgorithm has been extracted into trait MATGraphBuilder if someone wants to reuse it in a different setting (as requested). I don't support nested graph for now though, as it is not clear for me the best way to build them.
>>
>> --
>>  Simon

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

 Simon

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Tudor Girba
Hi Simon,

These classes should be called MAlgo (or MAL ?). I started to do that a while ago, but apparently I forgot to commit this change.

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 Sep 2010, at 19:42, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 27 sept. 2010, at 18:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> Please note that the MA* (with an uppercase $A) prefix is already
>> taken by Magritte. Ma* (with a lowercase $a) is taken by Magma, if I
>> remember correctly they renamed their classes at some point a long
>> time ago to avoid the conflict with Magritte.
>

> ok, one issue is that all classes in Moose-Algos (not only Moose-Algos-Graph) are prefixed with MA so we will need to change that...
>
> but at least now there is some consistency in class names.
>

>> Lukas
>>
>> On 27 September 2010 17:51, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I just performed a mass class renaming in Moose Algos Graph. Some classes still had the old prefix MO*, they now all have a MA* prefix. Class references in default Moose have been updated too (this includes DSM...)
>>>
>>> So, if you use Moose-Algos-Graph and your package is not part of Moose default, you might to take a look and see if you need to update some references.
>>>

>>> Also, the API of MAGraphAlgorithm has been extracted into trait MATGraphBuilder if someone wants to reuse it in a different setting (as requested). I don't support nested graph for now though, as it is not clear for me the best way to build them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Tudor Girba
Hi Simon,

It looks like while renaming you missed to publish some packages: MOTarjanNodeDSM still seems to inherit from the old MOTarjanNode, and because of that the build breaks :).

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 Sep 2010, at 22:00, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> These classes should be called MAlgo (or MAL ?). I started to do that a while ago, but apparently I forgot to commit this change.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 27 Sep 2010, at 19:42, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> On 27 sept. 2010, at 18:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>>> Please note that the MA* (with an uppercase $A) prefix is already
>>> taken by Magritte. Ma* (with a lowercase $a) is taken by Magma, if I
>>> remember correctly they renamed their classes at some point a long
>>> time ago to avoid the conflict with Magritte.
>>

>> ok, one issue is that all classes in Moose-Algos (not only Moose-Algos-Graph) are prefixed with MA so we will need to change that...
>>
>> but at least now there is some consistency in class names.
>>

>>> Lukas

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

>> --
>> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

On 28 sept. 2010, at 09:11, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> It looks like while renaming you missed to publish some packages: MOTarjanNodeDSM still seems to inherit from the old MOTarjanNode, and because of that the build breaks :).

Argh, never thought I could still be bitten by the non-dirty package bug in MC :(

So changing a superclass does not make a package dirty mmm... I guess I will to check with Package Blueprints what's the impact of renaming classes.

As for the prefix, I will take Mal, just because fireflies do not bite (...)

On 28 Sep 2010, at 13:01, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 28 sept. 2010, at 09:11, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> It looks like while renaming you missed to publish some packages: MOTarjanNodeDSM still seems to inherit from the old MOTarjanNode, and because of that the build breaks :).
>

> Argh, never thought I could still be bitten by the non-dirty package bug in MC :(

I thought it was something like that.

> So changing a superclass does not make a package dirty mmm... I guess I will to check with Package Blueprints what's the impact of renaming classes.

Thanks.

> As for the prefix, I will take Mal, just because fireflies do not bite (...)

Great, although I am not sure I understand the word play :)

Cheers,
Doru

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 27 Sep 2010, at 22:00, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Simon,
>>>
>>> These classes should be called MAlgo (or MAL ?). I started to do that a while ago, but apparently I forgot to commit this change.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

On 28 sept. 2010, at 13:05, Tudor Girba wrote:

As for the prefix, I will take Mal, just because fireflies do not bite (...)

Great, although I am not sure I understand the word play :)

Hehe, I hope some people in the wave got it pretty easily :D

--
 Simon

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Guillermo Schwarz
Hi Guys,

Why don't you do something more focused on the long term and don't you change the Smalltalk compiler with namespaces?

I don't think it should be that hard since each class already belongs to a category. Each category could instead be a dictionary from where the compiler could find classes that are mentioned in the class source.

This has worked wonders in Java (classes inside packages). This way classes' names can be repeated ad eternum without generating collisions or otherwise polluting excessively the name space.

So for example:

FAMIXAssociation subclass: #FAMIXInvocation
instanceVariableNames: 'sender receiver receiverSourceCode signature candidates'
classVariableNames: ''
poolDictionaries: ''
category: 'Famix-Core'

Would be instead:

Association subclass: #Invocation
instanceVariableNames: 'sender receiver receiverSourceCode signature candidates'
classVariableNames: ''
poolDictionaries: ''
category: #FamixCore

Then the category would be an index in the SystemDictionary:

SystemDictionary at: #FamixCore put: Category new.

(SystemDictionary at: #FamixCore) belongingClassList add: #Invocation "this should be done automatically by the subclass: method above"

(SystemDictionary at: #FamixCore) referencedClassList add: ... "classes that are referenced by classes belonging to category #FamixCore"

What do you think?

Cheers,
Guillermo.

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:00:33 +0200
From: Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Moose-dev] Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph
To: Moose-related development <[hidden email]>

Hi Simon,

These classes should be called MAlgo (or MAL ?). I started to do that a while ago, but apparently I forgot to commit this change.

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 Sep 2010, at 19:42, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 27 sept. 2010, at 18:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> Please note that the MA* (with an uppercase $A) prefix is already
>> taken by Magritte. Ma* (with a lowercase $a) is taken by Magma, if I
>> remember correctly they renamed their classes at some point a long
>> time ago to avoid the conflict with Magritte.

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Alexandre Bergel
It would be really cool to have namespaces. The recent issue on MA vs Ma vs Mal remainded us to think about a long term solution.
The most difficult things on this are (i) to keep backward compatibility and (ii) make all the tools aware of namespaces.

What happened with Squeak 3.3 clearly shows that you cannot manage your namespaces in an inspector.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On 28 sept. 2010, at 15:16, Guillermo Schwarz wrote:

Hi Guys,

Why don't you do something more focused on the long term and don't you change the Smalltalk compiler with namespaces?

As you said, it's something for long-term....

Meanwhile, I'm just  putting some pressure on our daily tools (Moose + OR) and it's also good :)

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:00:33 +0200
From: Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
To: Moose-related development <[hidden email]>

Hi Simon,

These classes should be called MAlgo (or MAL ?). I started to do that a while ago, but apparently I forgot to commit this change.

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 Sep 2010, at 19:42, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 27 sept. 2010, at 18:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> Please note that the MA* (with an uppercase $A) prefix is already
>> taken by Magritte. Ma* (with a lowercase $a) is taken by Magma, if I
>> remember correctly they renamed their classes at some point a long
>> time ago to avoid the conflict with Magritte.

 Simon

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Simon Denier-3

It's done. Squeaksource was down a bit this afternoon, and Lukas's server seems down since this morning, so I can't test a load default now, but hopefully everything is alright now. We will see tomorrow.

--
 Simon

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I just tried creating a new image, but there is a problem with traits definition:
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/370/console

Could you take a look?

Cheers,
Doru

On 28 Sep 2010, at 17:20, Simon Denier wrote:

> It's done. Squeaksource was down a bit this afternoon, and Lukas's server seems down since this morning, so I can't test a load default now, but hopefully everything is alright now. We will see tomorrow.
>

> On 28 sept. 2010, at 13:01, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> On 28 sept. 2010, at 09:11, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Simon,
>>>
>>> It looks like while renaming you missed to publish some packages: MOTarjanNodeDSM still seems to inherit from the old MOTarjanNode, and because of that the build breaks :).
>>

>> Argh, never thought I could still be bitten by the non-dirty package bug in MC :(
>>
>> So changing a superclass does not make a package dirty mmm... I guess I will to check with Package Blueprints what's the impact of renaming classes.
>>

>> As for the prefix, I will take Mal, just because fireflies do not bite (...)
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

>> --
>> Simon
>>

> --
> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

On 28 sept. 2010, at 20:57, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried creating a new image, but there is a problem with traits definition:
> http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/370/console
>
> Could you take a look?

Re-argh, same problem, renaming a trait does not make a package dirty by default, and I didn't check for external users of traits (now I know how to do that :()
Fixed in Famix-Extensions and DSM.

Can you try again?

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 28 Sep 2010, at 17:20, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> It's done. Squeaksource was down a bit this afternoon, and Lukas's server seems down since this morning, so I can't test a load default now, but hopefully everything is alright now. We will see tomorrow.

>>> Argh, never thought I could still be bitten by the non-dirty package bug in MC :(
>>>
>>> So changing a superclass does not make a package dirty mmm... I guess I will to check with Package Blueprints what's the impact of renaming classes.
>>>

>>> As for the prefix, I will take Mal, just because fireflies do not bite (...)

>>> --
>>> Simon
>>>

>> --
>> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

 Simon

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Tudor Girba
Great, now it's all fine:
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/

I just had to fix a missing refactoring in Famix-Extensions.

Cheers,
Doru

On 28 Sep 2010, at 21:46, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 28 sept. 2010, at 20:57, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just tried creating a new image, but there is a problem with traits definition:
>> http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/370/console
>>
>> Could you take a look?
>

> Re-argh, same problem, renaming a trait does not make a package dirty by default, and I didn't check for external users of traits (now I know how to do that :()
> Fixed in Famix-Extensions and DSM.
>
> Can you try again?
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 28 Sep 2010, at 17:20, Simon Denier wrote:
>>

>>> It's done. Squeaksource was down a bit this afternoon, and Lukas's server seems down since this morning, so I can't test a load default now, but hopefully everything is alright now. We will see tomorrow.

>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

On 28 sept. 2010, at 22:51, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Great, now it's all fine:
> http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/
>
> I just had to fix a missing refactoring in Famix-Extensions.

Good, apparently I was a bit careless with the refactoring in Ma Graph (well the image hung up, I had to restart and probably forgot to commit)

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 28 Sep 2010, at 21:46, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> On 28 sept. 2010, at 20:57, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just tried creating a new image, but there is a problem with traits definition:
>>> http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/370/console
>>>
>>> Could you take a look?
>>

>> Re-argh, same problem, renaming a trait does not make a package dirty by default, and I didn't check for external users of traits (now I know how to do that :()
>> Fixed in Famix-Extensions and DSM.
>>
>> Can you try again?
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

>> --
>> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

 Simon

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

simon can you open bug entry for pharo?

Stef

On 29 sept. 2010, at 09:08, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> simon can you open bug entry for pharo?

What issue should I report? The fact that Monticello is not aware/notified of the impact of class/trait renaming on external clients?

> Stef
>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just tried creating a new image, but there is a problem with traits definition:
>>> http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/370/console
>>>
>>> Could you take a look?
>>

>> Re-argh, same problem, renaming a trait does not make a package dirty by default, and I didn't check for external users of traits (now I know how to do that :()
>> Fixed in Famix-Extensions and DSM.
>>
>> Can you try again?
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

>> --
>> Simon

 Simon

Re: Class renaming in Moose Algos Graph

Chris Muller-3
Lukas, I'm glad you said that!  Because while we are a small community
two-letter prefixes are not a lot of namespace.

Indeed, all of my frameworks begin with "Ma" (lowercase a) which is
actually an abbreviation for "Muller Automation" and, only by
fortunate coincidence, matching the initial letters of "Magma".

It would be funny if two classes ended up in someone's image with the
same name but only a difference of that second-letter "a" vs. "A".
Probably wouldn't happen but we will not encroach into each other's
namespace prefix..  :)

 - Chris

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please note that the MA* (with an uppercase $A) prefix is already
> taken by Magritte. Ma* (with a lowercase $a) is taken by Magma, if I
> remember correctly they renamed their classes at some point a long
> time ago to avoid the conflict with Magritte.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 27 September 2010 17:51, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just performed a mass class renaming in Moose Algos Graph. Some classes still had the old prefix MO*, they now all have a MA* prefix. Class references in default Moose have been updated too (this includes DSM...)
>>
>> So, if you use Moose-Algos-Graph and your package is not part of Moose default, you might to take a look and see if you need to update some references.
>>

>> Also, the API of MAGraphAlgorithm has been extracted into trait MATGraphBuilder if someone wants to reuse it in a different setting (as requested). I don't support nested graph for now though, as it is not clear for me the best way to build them.
>>
>> --
>>  Simon

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch