Cleaning WriteBarrier (as used in Magma)

Cleaning WriteBarrier (as used in Magma)

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Avi,

how is life at Twitter ;)

Would it be possible that you add me as a developer on

http://www.squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier

so I can clean up underscore assignment in the package.

WriteBarrier is used in Magma (see ConfigurationOfMagma)
which is installable right from a workspace in the
upcoming Pharo 1.1 release. Currently this fails since
by default underscore assignment is not allowed in Pharo.

Thanks
Torsten

Re: Cleaning WriteBarrier (as used in Magma)

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 06-07-2010 a las 11:44 +0200, Torsten Bergmann escribió:

> Hi Avi,
>
> how is life at Twitter ;)
>
> Would it be possible that you add me as a developer on
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier
>
> so I can clean up underscore assignment in the package.
>
> WriteBarrier is used in Magma (see ConfigurationOfMagma)
> which is installable right from a workspace in the
> upcoming Pharo 1.1 release. Currently this fails since
> by default underscore assignment is not allowed in Pharo.
>
> Thanks
> Torsten

Maybe that email isn't monitored currently by Avi.
In his page he states that
[hidden email]
is the email for contact
You can also reach them in twitter
http://twitter.com/avibryant

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Cleaning WriteBarrier (as used in Magma)

Chris Muller-3
Thanks, I will look for your updated WriteBarrier package to include
with the next Magma.  I have just copied my own latest WriteBarrier to
the MagmaTester project of squeaksource.

-------
Name: WriteBarrier-cmm.27
Author: cmm
Time: 19 June 2010, 4:41:13.886 pm
UUID: 84945d10-b0eb-419b-a6bc-2de227aac87a
Ancestors: WriteBarrier-pmm.26

Removed PseudoContext extension for compatibility with Squeak 4.2+.
----------

WriteBarrier unfortunately doesn't work in either of Pharo or Squeak
4.1+.  I am tempted to remove it from the suite altogether, but to do
so would break backward compatibility with 3.9 who may be using
WriteBarrier, because the implementation requires the handler
(MaTransaction) to inherit from the WriteBarrier class itself..  :-(

Thanks,
  Chris

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Avi,
>
> how is life at Twitter ;)
>
> Would it be possible that you add me as a developer on
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier
>
> so I can clean up underscore assignment in the package.
>
> WriteBarrier is used in Magma (see ConfigurationOfMagma)
> which is installable right from a workspace in the
> upcoming Pharo 1.1 release. Currently this fails since
> by default underscore assignment is not allowed in Pharo.
>
> Thanks
> Torsten
> --
> GMX DSL: Internet-, Telefon- und Handy-Flat ab 19,99 EUR/mtl.
> Bis zu 150 EUR Startguthaben inklusive! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Cleaning WriteBarrier (as used in Magma)

Stéphane Ducasse
What is missing to make it work in Pharo?

Stef
On Jul 6, 2010, at 8:16 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> Thanks, I will look for your updated WriteBarrier package to include
> with the next Magma.  I have just copied my own latest WriteBarrier to
> the MagmaTester project of squeaksource.
>
> -------
> Name: WriteBarrier-cmm.27
> Author: cmm
> Time: 19 June 2010, 4:41:13.886 pm
> UUID: 84945d10-b0eb-419b-a6bc-2de227aac87a
> Ancestors: WriteBarrier-pmm.26
>
> Removed PseudoContext extension for compatibility with Squeak 4.2+.
> ----------
>
> WriteBarrier unfortunately doesn't work in either of Pharo or Squeak
> 4.1+.  I am tempted to remove it from the suite altogether, but to do
> so would break backward compatibility with 3.9 who may be using
> WriteBarrier, because the implementation requires the handler
> (MaTransaction) to inherit from the WriteBarrier class itself..  :-(
>
> Thanks,
>  Chris
>

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Avi,
>>
>> how is life at Twitter ;)
>>
>> Would it be possible that you add me as a developer on
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier
>>
>> so I can clean up underscore assignment in the package.
>>
>> WriteBarrier is used in Magma (see ConfigurationOfMagma)
>> which is installable right from a workspace in the
>> upcoming Pharo 1.1 release. Currently this fails since
>> by default underscore assignment is not allowed in Pharo.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Torsten
>> --
>> GMX DSL: Internet-, Telefon- und Handy-Flat ab 19,99 EUR/mtl.
>> Bis zu 150 EUR Startguthaben inklusive! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Cleaning WriteBarrier (as used in Magma)

Chris Muller-4
It makes use of the old ByteCodeGenerator from NewCompiler, can't
remember why at the moment..

WriteBarrier generates overriding methods for all mutating methods of
a class.  They capture the pre-state of all modified vars, call super,
then check the post-state of the vars and, if different, sends
#modified: to the handler....  Something like that.

I'm sure it could be updated to not use ByteCodeGenerator, I just
haven't had time to do it..

 - Chris