Cleaning up... baseClass, instanceSide, theNonMetaclass

Cleaning up... baseClass, instanceSide, theNonMetaclass

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

We already got this discussion and I plan to address it.
Now I discovered that in addition to instanceSide and theNonMetaclass we have

- classClass and baseClass
- theMetaclass and theNonMetaclass
- instanceSide and classSide

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20941/deprecate-theMetaclass-and-the-theNonMeta

Even if instanceSide and classSide come from UI concerns I think that
there are much
better than the others.

So have you any concerns and prefer one of the other couples? Because
we should stop
accumulate cruft in the system. We do not need three ways to do the same.

Re: Cleaning up... baseClass, instanceSide, theNonMetaclass

Guillermo Polito
In my code I use to use instanceSide and classSide. don't know why. Maybe they are clearer to me?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 8:59 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

We already got this discussion and I plan to address it.
Now I discovered that in addition to instanceSide and theNonMetaclass we have

- classClass and baseClass
- theMetaclass and theNonMetaclass
- instanceSide and classSide

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20941/deprecate-theMetaclass-and-the-theNonMeta

Even if instanceSide and classSide come from UI concerns I think that
there are much
better than the others.

+ 100

So have you any concerns and prefer one of the other couples? Because
we should stop
accumulate cruft in the system. We do not need three ways to do the same.

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Cleaning up... baseClass, instanceSide, theNonMetaclass

Ben Coman
I found it quite insightful when I read someone describe that the way Smalltalk uses Classes is essentially the Factory Pattern.
That makes me wonder whether classClass and classSide of a class might confuse newcomers
and maybe factorySide of a class would make more sense.

The again...

cheers -ben

On 12 February 2018 at 16:45, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:+33%206%2052%2070%2066%2013" value="+33652706613" target="_blank">+33 06 52 70 66 13