Clicking menu ignored -- sometimes, VW7.7 ...

Clicking menu ignored -- sometimes, VW7.7 ...

Dennis smith-4
Running 7.7 on Windows XP / 7 -- sometimes when clicking an item on a
secondary menu
(submenu) even though the items shows as selected, the click gets ignored.

It seems to be slightly related to where the menus are (e.g. near the
boundary of the screen).
It IS reproducible, even when doing it all slowly, but we have really
not figured out exactly
what makes it occur.

Anyone seen this kind of thing?

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: Clicking menu ignored -- sometimes, VW7.7 ...

Steven Kelly
Dennis Smith asked:
> Running 7.7 on Windows XP / 7 -- sometimes when clicking an item on a
> secondary menu (submenu) even though the items shows as selected, the
> click gets ignored.

This is fixed as Resolution 97830:

Problem Description:
        Right click submenu selection does not perform menu action.

Resolution Description:
        MenuController subclass specific updates are required for
appropriate processing of mouse state and event handling.

Resolution Text:
        The open submenu window did not update its mouse state after
opening.  If the state was set to #waitForMousePressed it would not
detect or update that the mouse had entered the submenu depressed since
opening (i.e. change to #waitForMouseRelease).  The changes to
#mouseMovedEvent: now explicitly update the state each time the mouse
moves in a submenu.

        Also, there is a problem with the order the submenu window
closes with respect to its parent menu window.  When the submenu window
closes in #openFromParentMenuItemView: it sets the selectionValue of its
parent menu window which it answers in #openFromView:.  Normally the
most recent submenu closes then all its parents, and so.  However, an
issue arises where the parent menu closes first without its
selectionValue set and then the submenu closes setting the parent
selectionValue too late.

        The update to #buttonReleasedEvent: ensures that the submenu
window that takes the selection is finished first then sets the
selectionValue of its parent and changes its state to finished.  If the
parent is a submenu it in turn sets the selectionValue of its parent
with its value and sets it to finished.  This progresses up the
parent-submenu hierarchy until the topmost parent menu has its value set
and its state is #finished allowing it to close.  This locks the order
for submenus closing first and parents last.

        Download from SupportWeb.cincom.com FTP services.  Navigate to
/support/VisualWorks/VW7.7/Res97830.

        For AR 59360.

Download Location:

ftp://ftp.cincom.com/support/VisualWorks/VW7.7/Res97830/Res97830.zip

Files:
        Res97830.zip - The ZIP file containing the following
files.
        Res97830.txt - This Read Me file
        Res97830.st - File-out with changed method(s).

Applying this patch:
         1.  Copy and unarchive the Res97830.zip file to the VisualWorks
working directory.
         2.  Copy and archive the following files:
                a.  the base VisualWorks image from your working
directory $(VisualWorks).
         3.  Launch the VisualWorks 7.7 image.
         4.  From the VisualWorks Desktop select Tools>Change List.
         5.  From the Change List select File>Read File(s)...
         6.  Select the file Res97830.st and select the Open button.
         7.  From the Change List window, select Replay>All from the
Top.
         8.  Close the Change List.
         9.  Confirm the method(s) identified above have the given
Resolution number added in the comment.
        10.  Confirm the Patch is loaded, by selecting from the
VisualLauncher's menu bar Help>About VisualWorks...
                Click on the System tab and check under the "Patches"
section for the associated patch identifier Res97830.st.
        11.  Save and archive the image.

Testing this patch:
        1.  Open a new refactoring browser window using the
VisualLauncher>Browse>System.
        2.  Left click select
                        Bundle: Base VisualWorks
                        Class: AboutVisualWorksDialog
                        Method: pageSelected
        3.  Press and hold the right mouse button in the method pane.
Drag select Senders>pageSelected from the menu that opens.
        4.  Confirm the selection is performed.