Closure compiler

Torsten Bergmann
FYI: loading seaside 2.9 alpha3 crashes in latest pharo #10269 in
Parser/EncoderForV3PlusClosures with NonBooleanReceiver.

To easily reproduce evaluate:

(HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://builder.seaside.st/?distribution=Seaside%202.9.0-alpha3&packages=all&download=Load%20Script')
                fileIn.

Bye
T.

--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dslspecial.gmx.de/freedsl-surfflat/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a

Re: Closure compiler

Lukas Renggli
I fixed it, try again.

It was a bug in the loader of the builder. There is an exception
handler that tries to work around the variable capitalization errors
the Pharo compiler is (or was) throwing. I should work with the old
old-compiler, the old new-compiler, and the new old-compiler (closure
compiler) now.

However keep in mind that a Seaside installed like this won't work
just like that for various reasons. For example #renderOn:,
#fixCallbackTemps and various other required methods are not
implemented in BlockClosure.

Lukas

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI: loading seaside 2.9 alpha3 crashes in latest pharo #10269 in
> Parser/EncoderForV3PlusClosures with NonBooleanReceiver.
>
> To easily reproduce evaluate:
>
> (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://builder.seaside.st/?distribution=Seaside%202.9.0-alpha3&packages=all&download=Load%20Script')
>                fileIn.
>
> Bye
> T.
>

> --
> Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dslspecial.gmx.de/freedsl-surfflat/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Stéphane Ducasse
lukas do you want that we produce a backward compatibility layer so
that old seaside code loads in pharo?

Stef

On Apr 8, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I fixed it, try again.
>
> It was a bug in the loader of the builder. There is an exception
> handler that tries to work around the variable capitalization errors
> the Pharo compiler is (or was) throwing. I should work with the old
> old-compiler, the old new-compiler, and the new old-compiler (closure
> compiler) now.
>
> However keep in mind that a Seaside installed like this won't work
> just like that for various reasons. For example #renderOn:,
> #fixCallbackTemps and various other required methods are not
> implemented in BlockClosure.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> FYI: loading seaside 2.9 alpha3 crashes in latest pharo #10269 in
>> Parser/EncoderForV3PlusClosures with NonBooleanReceiver.
>>
>> To easily reproduce evaluate:
>>
>> (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://builder.seaside.st/?distribution=Seaside%202.9.0-alpha3&packages=all&download=Load%20Script')
>>                fileIn.
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

>> --
>> Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate +
>> Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dslspecial.gmx.de/freedsl-surfflat/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Lukas Renggli
> lukas do you want that we produce a backward compatibility layer so
> that old seaside code loads in pharo?

No, I don't think it is necessary.

The way builder.seaside.st creates the load scripts assuming that the
compiler throws warnings for uppercase inst-vars only. However the
closure compiler now also throws a warning when a variable is
undeclared (yeah, there is at least one bug in Seaside2.9alpha3),
whereas the previous compiler silently ignored it. I changed my
exception handler to tell the compiler to ignore it as well (what is
the default, when you don't catch warnings anyway).

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Lukas Renggli
> lukas do you want that we produce a backward compatibility layer so
> that old seaside code loads in pharo?

Sorry, I probably misunderstood your previous mail.

After loading Seaside with the script above load:

- Seaside-Closures-lr.1 from the Seaside 2.9 repository

- DynamicBindings-damiencassou.9
- KomHttpServer-damiencassou.47 from the Kom repository

And then you should have a Seaside with closures.

Note that two tests for partial continuations fail, because they
assume the old Squeak block behavior. Ignore them, these tests are
wrong.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Lukas Renggli
I noticed that #argumentCount is missing in the class BlockClosure.
#argumentCount is part of ANSI and Seaside depends on it (for now it
is part of Seaside-Closures).

Furthermore the following messages are missing #valueWithExit,
#valueSuppressingAllMessages, #valueWithEnoughArguments: on
BlockClosure, I guess these are used at various places within Pharo.

All the mentioned methods can be copied verbatim from BlockContext.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

my questions was
        if you need fixtemps and other friends in blockclosure so that the
old code can load
        we can create a package for that.

Stef

On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> lukas do you want that we produce a backward compatibility layer so
>> that old seaside code loads in pharo?
>
> Sorry, I probably misunderstood your previous mail.
>
> After loading Seaside with the script above load:
>
> - Seaside-Closures-lr.1 from the Seaside 2.9 repository
>
> - DynamicBindings-damiencassou.9
> - KomHttpServer-damiencassou.47 from the Kom repository
>
> And then you should have a Seaside with closures.
>
> Note that two tests for partial continuations fail, because they
> assume the old Squeak block behavior. Ignore them, these tests are
> wrong.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>        if you need fixtemps and other friends in blockclosure so that the
> old code can load
>        we can create a package for that.

I guess it's not necessary because I implemented them in
DynamicBindings and KomHttpServer.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Closure compiler

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I noticed that #argumentCount is missing in the class BlockClosure.
#argumentCount is part of ANSI and Seaside depends on it (for now it
is part of Seaside-Closures).

I am trying to make GLORP work with Pharo and I get the same error:

 BlockClosure(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #argumentCount

Actually, this is in Dialect #argumentCountFor: aBlock

Do you know how should I fix this ?

Thanks!

Mariano

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Mariano

BlockContext implemented #argumentCount (just delegating to #numArgs)
but BlockClosure does not.

You can change the sender in GLORP to #numArgs or implement
BlockClosure>>#argumentCount

Cheers,
Adrian

On May 17, 2009, at 22:06 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I noticed that #argumentCount is missing in the class BlockClosure.
>> #argumentCount is part of ANSI and Seaside depends on it (for now it
>> is part of Seaside-Closures).
>>

> I am trying to make GLORP work with Pharo and I get the same error:
>
> BlockClosure(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #argumentCount
>
> Actually, this is in Dialect #argumentCountFor: aBlock
>
> Do you know how should I fix this ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mariano
>

>> Furthermore the following messages are missing #valueWithExit,
>> #valueSuppressingAllMessages, #valueWithEnoughArguments: on
>> BlockClosure, I guess these are used at various places within Pharo.
>>
>> All the mentioned methods can be copied verbatim from BlockContext.
>>
>> Lukas

>>> Sorry, I probably misunderstood your previous mail.
>>>
>>> After loading Seaside with the script above load:
>>>
>>> - Seaside-Closures-lr.1 from the Seaside 2.9 repository
>>>
>>> - DynamicBindings-damiencassou.9
>>> - KomHttpServer-damiencassou.47 from the Kom repository
>>>
>>> And then you should have a Seaside with closures.
>>>
>>> Note that two tests for partial continuations fail, because they
>>> assume the old Squeak block behavior. Ignore them, these tests are
>>> wrong.
>>>
>>> Lukas
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch
>>>

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Stéphane Ducasse
adrian
may be we should add argumentCount to BlockClosure too.

Stef

On May 17, 2009, at 10:20 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi Mariano
>
> BlockContext implemented #argumentCount (just delegating to #numArgs)
> but BlockClosure does not.
>
> You can change the sender in GLORP to #numArgs or implement
> BlockClosure>>#argumentCount
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On May 17, 2009, at 22:06 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed that #argumentCount is missing in the class BlockClosure.
>>> #argumentCount is part of ANSI and Seaside depends on it (for now it
>>> is part of Seaside-Closures).
>>>

>> I am trying to make GLORP work with Pharo and I get the same error:
>>
>> BlockClosure(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #argumentCount
>>
>> Actually, this is in Dialect #argumentCountFor: aBlock
>>
>> Do you know how should I fix this ?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>>> Furthermore the following messages are missing #valueWithExit,
>>> #valueSuppressingAllMessages, #valueWithEnoughArguments: on
>>> BlockClosure, I guess these are used at various places within Pharo.
>>>
>>> All the mentioned methods can be copied verbatim from BlockContext.
>>>
>>> Lukas

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Adrian Lienhard

On May 17, 2009, at 22:56 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> adrian
> may be we should add argumentCount to BlockClosure too.

Yes, probably.
Adrian

> Stef
>
> On May 17, 2009, at 10:20 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> Hi Mariano
>>
>> BlockContext implemented #argumentCount (just delegating to #numArgs)
>> but BlockClosure does not.
>>
>> You can change the sender in GLORP to #numArgs or implement
>> BlockClosure>>#argumentCount
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On May 17, 2009, at 22:06 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>>> I am trying to make GLORP work with Pharo and I get the same error:
>>>
>>> BlockClosure(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #argumentCount
>>>
>>> Actually, this is in Dialect #argumentCountFor: aBlock
>>>
>>> Do you know how should I fix this ?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Mariano

Re: Closure compiler

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
adrian
may be we should add argumentCount to BlockClosure too.

Yes. That was actually my question. I saw Lukas said that, but I didn't know if I should add it in my code (as an extension) or if this should be part of BlockClosure in the Pharo core.

Thanks!

Mariano

Stef

On May 17, 2009, at 10:20 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi Mariano
>
> BlockContext implemented #argumentCount (just delegating to #numArgs)
> but BlockClosure does not.
>
> You can change the sender in GLORP to #numArgs or implement
> BlockClosure>>#argumentCount
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On May 17, 2009, at 22:06 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed that #argumentCount is missing in the class BlockClosure.
>>> #argumentCount is part of ANSI and Seaside depends on it (for now it
>>> is part of Seaside-Closures).
>>>

>> I am trying to make GLORP work with Pharo and I get the same error:
>>
>> BlockClosure(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #argumentCount
>>
>> Actually, this is in Dialect #argumentCountFor: aBlock
>>
>> Do you know how should I fix this ?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>>> Furthermore the following messages are missing #valueWithExit,
>>> #valueSuppressingAllMessages, #valueWithEnoughArguments: on
>>> BlockClosure, I guess these are used at various places within Pharo.
>>>
>>> All the mentioned methods can be copied verbatim from BlockContext.
>>>
>>> Lukas

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Lukas Renggli
#argumentCount is important, it is part of the ANSI standard. Seaside
uses it and we had to add our own version up to now.

Lukas

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 17, 2009, at 22:56 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> adrian
>> may be we should add argumentCount to BlockClosure too.
>
> Yes, probably.
> Adrian
>

>> Stef
>>
>> On May 17, 2009, at 10:20 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mariano
>>>
>>> BlockContext implemented #argumentCount (just delegating to #numArgs)
>>> but BlockClosure does not.
>>>
>>> You can change the sender in GLORP to #numArgs or implement
>>> BlockClosure>>#argumentCount
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Closure compiler

Adrian Lienhard
ok, I created an issue:

Adrian

On May 17, 2009, at 23:04 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

> #argumentCount is important, it is part of the ANSI standard. Seaside
> uses it and we had to add our own version up to now.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On May 17, 2009, at 22:56 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> adrian
>>> may be we should add argumentCount to BlockClosure too.
>>
>> Yes, probably.
>> Adrian
>>

>>> Stef

> Lukas Renggli