Closure compiler

Michael van der Gulik-2
On 4/8/09, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07.04.2009, at 16:31, Alexandr Batalshikov wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I see in pharo0.1-10268dev09.04.1.image:
>>
>> Compiler class>>closureParserClass
>>           ^self error: 'not installed'.
>>
>> That is right?
>> How to install "closureParserClass"?
>>

> these are leftovers from the NewCompiler ClosureCompiler. We will
> clean this up soon.

What is the story with the NewCompiler? Does Pharo include it? Or are
you moving to Eliot's modification of the old compiler with closure
support?

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Closure compiler

Marcus Denker-3

On 07.04.2009, at 21:50, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On 4/8/09, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 07.04.2009, at 16:31, Alexandr Batalshikov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I see in pharo0.1-10268dev09.04.1.image:
>>>
>>> Compiler class>>closureParserClass
>>>          ^self error: 'not installed'.
>>>
>>> That is right?
>>> How to install "closureParserClass"?
>>>

>> these are leftovers from the NewCompiler ClosureCompiler. We will
>> clean this up soon.
>
> What is the story with the NewCompiler? Does Pharo include it? Or are
> you moving to Eliot's modification of the old compiler with closure
> support?

We integrated Eliot's work into Pharo for now. The actual closure
realization is
different but similar, so there is no reason to not to use his. The
old "ClosureCompiler"
then will be renamed "NewCompiler" and fixed to generate code for
Eliot's closures.

The NewCompiler is a bit more modular/easier to understand and
butcher, we used
in for many experiments already and we will definitly port it.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Closure compiler

Michael van der Gulik-2
On 4/9/09, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07.04.2009, at 21:50, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

>>> these are leftovers from the NewCompiler ClosureCompiler. We will
>>> clean this up soon.
>>
>> What is the story with the NewCompiler? Does Pharo include it? Or are
>> you moving to Eliot's modification of the old compiler with closure
>> support?
>

> We integrated Eliot's work into Pharo for now. The actual closure
> realization is
> different but similar, so there is no reason to not to use his. The
> old "ClosureCompiler"
> then will be renamed "NewCompiler" and fixed to generate code for
> Eliot's closures.
>
> The NewCompiler is a bit more modular/easier to understand and
> butcher, we used
> in for many experiments already and we will definitly port it.

I wonder if it is worth splitting the NewCompiler (which really does
need a better name) into two packages: the front end and the back end.

Later this year (or next) I plan to do some hacking on the NewCompiler
for integration into SecureSqueak. I'll post something on the
NewCompiler mailing list when I get that far; I'll try to contribute
stuff back to the NewCompiler project so hopefully they'll percolate
through to Pharo, Squeak and other users.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Closure compiler

Marcus Denker-3

On 08.04.2009, at 17:40, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

I wonder if it is worth splitting the NewCompiler (which really does
need a better name) into two packages: the front end and the back end.

New name: yes.

So for packages, we have NewParser, AST and the rest.

Where would we split? IRBuilder would be the best candidate, I'd say.

Later this year (or next) I plan to do some hacking on the NewCompiler
for integration into SecureSqueak. I'll post something on the
NewCompiler mailing list when I get that far; I'll try to contribute
stuff back to the NewCompiler project so hopefully they'll percolate
through to Pharo, Squeak and other users.

Cool!

Marcus

Re: Closure compiler

Michael van der Gulik-2
(note: cross-posted on newcompiler and pharo-project lists)

On 4/9/09, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08.04.2009, at 17:40, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
>>>

>> I wonder if it is worth splitting the NewCompiler (which really does
>> need a better name) into two packages: the front end and the back end.
>>

> New name: yes.

Umm... HannanCompiler (after the original author?).

> So for packages, we have NewParser, AST and the rest.
> Where would we split? IRBuilder would be the best candidate, I'd say.

I'll get back to you on this when I have stuff to contribute. I'd like
to separate out the IR classes so I can use them without needing to
install the rest of the compiler.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Closure compiler

Stéphane Ducasse

>> New name: yes.
>
> Umm... HannanCompiler (after the original author?).

umm..... rot and dead compiler that marcus resurrected

Re: Closure compiler

Marcus Denker-3

On 09.04.2009, at 02:49, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> New name: yes.
>>
>> Umm... HannanCompiler (after the original author?).
>
> umm..... rot and dead compiler that marcus resurrected

I wonder what happened to Anthony... he back than did work
one year full time on the compiler, and than even got a Phd
position at a good university in the US.

lots of cool ideas... e.g. in the direction of a secure Squeak:

http://home.cc.gatech.edu/tony/uploads/32/SharedSmalltalk.htm

But he seems to have disappeared...

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Closure compiler

Michael van der Gulik-2
On 4/9/09, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> New name: yes.
>>
>> Umm... HannanCompiler (after the original author?).
>
> umm..... rot and dead compiler that marcus resurrected

That was an inappropriate and unhelpful comment.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Closure compiler

Stéphane Ducasse
Oh yes it was appropriate I did not like simply the fact that you
could imply
that new compiler would be better named HannanCompiler since
people could understand that we were stealing things by not mentioning
his name.
Now of course you may not have implied that and you may not like my
comment.
Still my point is clear. I'm greatfull to marcus to have resurrected
and maintained
this software over the years.

Stef
On Apr 11, 2009, at 2:32 AM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

>>> Umm... HannanCompiler (after the original author?).
>>
>> umm..... rot and dead compiler that marcus resurrected
>
> That was an inappropriate and unhelpful comment.
>
> Gulik.
>
> --
> http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Closure compiler

Michael van der Gulik-2
On 4/12/09, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh yes it was appropriate I did not like simply the fact that you
> could imply
> that new compiler would be better named HannanCompiler since
> people could understand that we were stealing things by not mentioning
> his name.
> Now of course you may not have implied that and you may not like my
> comment.
> Still my point is clear. I'm greatfull to marcus to have resurrected
> and maintained
> this software over the years.

I certainly didn't mean any disrespect or lack of admiration for what
Marcus has done. It was just a name to avoid ambiguity.

Do you have another suggestion for a name?

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Closure compiler

Stéphane Ducasse
OK
        context taken into account.

Suggestion

        Pluggable Compiler
        Layered Compiler

        OpCode: the Smalltalk Open Compiler

:)

Stef

On Apr 12, 2009, at 12:30 AM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On 4/12/09, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Oh yes it was appropriate I did not like simply the fact that you
>> could imply
>> that new compiler would be better named HannanCompiler since
>> people could understand that we were stealing things by not
>> mentioning
>> his name.
>> Now of course you may not have implied that and you may not like my
>> comment.
>> Still my point is clear. I'm greatfull to marcus to have resurrected
>> and maintained
>> this software over the years.
>
> I certainly didn't mean any disrespect or lack of admiration for what
> Marcus has done. It was just a name to avoid ambiguity.
>
> Do you have another suggestion for a name?
>
> Gulik.
>
> --
> http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Closure compiler

Andreas Wacknitz
What about a simple (Squeak Smalltalk) compiler version 2 or compiler 2009?
Some time in the future even this "new compiler" will probably an "old compiler" if Squeak survives long enough.

Andreas