Cmd-line (headless) Pharo Launcher - structure of commands

Cmd-line (headless) Pharo Launcher - structure of commands

DavidBajger

Hi all!
I had a chat with Stephane regarding his inquiry about Pharo Launcher controlled from command-line interface (headless mode).
I'd like to ask core Pharo developers to briefly review, if current list of commands seems to be ok. Document here: https://github.com/Bajger/Pharo-snippets/blob/master/pharoLauncherCmdLine-description.md
Some notes:
- List of commands is based on what can be executed on UI of Pharo Launcher
- there are some open questions, that you can try to comment on.

Also, please suggest, if I should move .md page to some more appropriate project (e.g. Pharo wiki?)
Thanks for feedback!
David

David Bajger

Re: Cmd-line (headless) Pharo Launcher - structure of commands

Guillermo Polito
Hi David,

I think this is cool :)

The things you describe are what I was having in mind too.
The commands I use the most from the UI are:
 - create/delete an image
 - launch it

:)

About the design of the command line, have you checked Clap? It should provide support for parsing command line arguments and printing all the helps for you.

Also, If I can dream, I’d like that the launcher remembers the open images, so we could also introduce something like

launcher kill imageXXX

Thanks!!!
G.

El 10 mar 2021, a las 14:00, [hidden email] escribió:

Hi all!
I had a chat with Stephane regarding his inquiry about Pharo Launcher controlled from command-line interface (headless mode).
I'd like to ask core Pharo developers to briefly review, if current list of commands seems to be ok. Document here: https://github.com/Bajger/Pharo-snippets/blob/master/pharoLauncherCmdLine-description.md
Some notes:
- List of commands is based on what can be executed on UI of Pharo Launcher
- there are some open questions, that you can try to comment on.

Also, please suggest, if I should move .md page to some more appropriate project (e.g. Pharo wiki?)
Thanks for feedback!
David

Re: Cmd-line (headless) Pharo Launcher - structure of commands

DavidBajger

Hi Guille,

I already had a quick chat with Damien Pollet about how commands should be structured. Based on his recommendations, my original list of commands will be re-worked to be subject-verb like (gittish, dockerish) style, since CLAP allows this and it will be more logically stucured around vm, image, image template subjects.

I also set up project with CLAP dependency, so I could experiment with commands, here: https://github.com/Bajger/PharoLauncher-cli

More to come hopefully soon (as soon, as I get full understanding how CLAP works).

Thanks for positive words!

David

Guillermo Polito wrote:

Hi David,

I think this is cool :)

The things you describe are what I was having in mind too. The commands I use the most from the UI are:

  • create/delete an image

  • launch it

:)

About the design of the command line, have you checked Clap? It should provide support for parsing command line arguments and printing all the helps for you.

Also, If I can dream, I’d like that the launcher remembers the open images, so we could also introduce something like

launcher kill imageXXX

Thanks!!! G.

Hi all! I had a chat with Stephane regarding his inquiry about Pharo Launcher controlled from command-line interface (headless mode). I'd like to ask core Pharo developers to briefly review, if current list of commands seems to be ok. Document here: https://github.com/Bajger/Pharo-snippets/blob/master/pharoLauncherCmdLine-description.md https://github.com/Bajger/Pharo-snippets/blob/master/pharoLauncherCmdLine-description.md Some notes: