Cobalt VR Meetup follow-up

Chris Cunnington
That was pretty fun.

I posted a link to the LDAP called Tron Legacy and had people join in the CobaltWorldIntro space. I tried the default CobaltWorld space, but I've added OpenGL code to it and Aik-Siong couldn't join my world. So I switched to CobaltWorldIntro.

We tried the audio chat by hitting a button in the lower left of the screen, and at one point we had four people talking while their avatars were standing in a group. My voice, as the host world, sounded choppy, which may be a result of my bandwidth, because other people were connecting to my computer. I have 4768 Kbps down/ and 787 up. (Thank you testmyspeed.com).

One problem is that almost everybody was an Alice avatar, which is too the same. There is a menu option to change avatars, but there is only one .mdl file in that directory - Alice. So, I'll need to get some new .mdl files for next time.

Also for next time, we probably want to meet at a place that has higher bandwidth than my DSL Basic package from Bell Canada.

So that's it for this month. One person said they wanted to do it again sooner, which should be as easy as posting a message on the OpenCobalt Google Group ( http://groups.google.com/group/opencobalt ).

Thank you to the people who participated. I look forward to doing it again, and hope to see your avatar again in May.

Chris

Re: Cobalt VR Meetup follow-up

Gary Dunn
On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 21:17 -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> That was pretty fun.
>

> I posted a link to the LDAP called Tron Legacy and had people join in
> the CobaltWorldIntro space. I tried the default CobaltWorld space, but
> I've added OpenGL code to it and Aik-Siong couldn't join my world. So
> I switched to CobaltWorldIntro.

I would like to try this next time. Just yesterday I got my Fujitsu
tablet tethered to my brand new T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Android phone. Today
I tested at work, seemed fine but no load testing. Being in Honolulu
these afternoon/evening hookups take place while I am at work, and where
I work any sort of live chat is blocked.

I don't have a cool Cobalt world. Would that make me an outcast? What
version is considered most stable on Windows 7, or Ubuntu 9.10? I hope
we can get Cobalt working on FreeBSD after Squeak 4.1 is released.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]

Re: Cobalt VR Meetup follow-up

Chris Cunnington
That would be great. I'll be posting the announcement about it 6 May. If the day comes and you have any questions about how to proceed, please feel free to email me directly.

Cool Cobalt World? I don't have one. I have a default space that looks like the holodeck at night on the Enterprise. Cobalt also comes with a very beautiful world. I got ribbed once for not interior decorating. But then I go and put a floating triangle in my holodeck, and people can't join my space. Seems you need to use 3D Studio Max or Sketchup or something to add stuff to the world. You don't need a cool world.

Windows 7 or Ubuntu? Which is more stable? That's a great question and one I'm not best suited to ask. I'm on a Mac. But really, that's what the Cobalt VR Meetup is all about. We use Skype IRC and that's solid as a rock. Then we can try stuff in Cobalt to see what's working and what isn't. Get Skype and OpenCobalt and join the dialog. It's pretty cool stuff. Your students will love it. It's Primo, as in the beer.

Chris

Re: Cobalt VR Meetup follow-up

cedreek

One problem is that almost everybody was an Alice avatar, which is too the same. There is a menu option to change avatars, but there is only one .mdl file in that directory - Alice. So, I'll need to get some new .mdl files for next time.

Did you download the optional content pack ?

So you can get more avatars and orher elements...

hth,

Cédrick

Also for next time, we probably want to meet at a place that has higher bandwidth than my DSL Basic package from Bell Canada.

So that's it for this month. One person said they wanted to do it again sooner, which should be as easy as posting a message on the OpenCobalt Google Group ( http://groups.google.com/group/opencobalt ).

Thank you to the people who participated. I look forward to doing it again, and hope to see your avatar again in May.

Chris

Re: Cobalt VR Meetup follow-up

Chris Cunnington
"Did you download the optional content pack ?"

Nope, I hadn't thought of that.
Now I have lots of avatars. Thanks!

Chris