Cobol to MOOSE?

Stephan Eggermont-3
What support for Cobol is available in MOOSE? Is there a MSE generator,
or do I need to build my own parser/generator?

Stephan Eggermont

Re: Cobol to MOOSE?

Alexandre Bergel
Making Moose eat cobol code would be great to have!

Ideally, you can produce a .MSE file from the source code of the
application you wish to analyze. Alternatively, you can produce xml
files and write you own parser.

More info about MSE files on http://www.moosetechnology.org/docs

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 20 Apr 2010, at 18:07, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> What support for Cobol is available in MOOSE? Is there a MSE
> generator,
> or do I need to build my own parser/generator?
>
> Stephan Eggermont

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Cobol to MOOSE?

if you get serious about it we could ask some friends to see if they have a support.
I know that they parse Cobol islands.

in the past we have a bunch of perl scripts but I do not know where they are that produced mse
Then there is openCobol that could be extended to generate mse but again no ressources for that
except if you tell us more. :)

Stef

On Apr 21, 2010, at 12:07 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> What support for Cobol is available in MOOSE? Is there a MSE generator,
> or do I need to build my own parser/generator?
>
> Stephan Eggermont

Re: Cobol to MOOSE?

Simon Denier-3

On 21 avr. 2010, at 08:24, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> if you get serious about it we could ask some friends to see if they have a support.
> I know that they parse Cobol islands.
>
> in the past we have a bunch of perl scripts but I do not know where they are that produced mse
> Then there is openCobol that could be extended to generate mse but again no ressources for that
> except if you tell us more. :)

Yep basically the biggest problem is the parser, and identifying the grammar which corresponds to your Cobol island. Perhaps using PetitParser (which is now installed with Moose) could help to write and adapt more easily a Cobol parser.

> Stef
>

> On Apr 21, 2010, at 12:07 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
>
>> What support for Cobol is available in MOOSE? Is there a MSE generator,
>> or do I need to build my own parser/generator?
>>
>> Stephan Eggermont

 Simon

Re: Cobol to MOOSE?

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 21 apr 2010, at 08:24, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> if you get serious about it we could ask some friends to see if they
> have a support.
> I know that they parse Cobol islands.
>
> in the past we have a bunch of perl scripts but I do not know where
> they are that produced mse
> Then there is openCobol that could be extended to generate mse but
> again no ressources for that
> except if you tell us more. :)

It's a system of about 200 programs written in MBP Visual Cobol/XO.
That's a dos compiler running on windows (up to XP)
On the web I found that MBP was integrated in EDS and
Micro Focus between 1992 and 1994...
It looks like a good fit for Suixo...

Stephan

Re: Cobol to MOOSE?

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok  now how do you see moose helping.

Stef

On Apr 22, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> On 21 apr 2010, at 08:24, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> if you get serious about it we could ask some friends to see if they have a support.
>> I know that they parse Cobol islands.
>>
>> in the past we have a bunch of perl scripts but I do not know where they are that produced mse
>> Then there is openCobol that could be extended to generate mse but again no ressources for that
>> except if you tell us more. :)
>
> It's a system of about 200 programs written in MBP Visual Cobol/XO.
> That's a dos compiler running on windows (up to XP)
> On the web I found that MBP was integrated in EDS and
> Micro Focus between 1992 and 1994...
> It looks like a good fit for Suixo...
>
> Stephan

Re: Cobol to MOOSE?

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 22 apr 2010, at 20:53, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Ok  now how do you see moose helping.

1 Visualize the complexity of the cobol programs and files.
2 Visualize dependencies between cobol programs and files
3 Visualize what functionality is migrated from cobol to smalltalk
4 Visualize what functionality is eliminated/not used
5 Visualize what functionality is added
6 Easier navigate and browse the cobol source
7 Find and eliminate duplication in the cobol code
8 Generate smalltalk data file accessors from the parse tree
9 Visualize data file contents
10 Visualize data changes in time
11 Identify incompabilities with OpenCobol

We need to estimate the size of the migration effort,
show in a spike we can co-exist and transfer data,
identify risks, create and describe a migration path
with small enough steps,  and show progress and
work remaining.

Stephan

Re: Cobol to MOOSE?

Tudor Girba
Hi,

These use cases look doable, but we need the parser. Could you produce
one?

Cheers,
Doru

On 22 Apr 2010, at 23:02, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> On 22 apr 2010, at 20:53, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Ok  now how do you see moose helping.
>

> 1 Visualize the complexity of the cobol programs and files.
> 2 Visualize dependencies between cobol programs and files
> 3 Visualize what functionality is migrated from cobol to smalltalk
> 4 Visualize what functionality is eliminated/not used
> 5 Visualize what functionality is added
> 6 Easier navigate and browse the cobol source
> 7 Find and eliminate duplication in the cobol code
> 8 Generate smalltalk data file accessors from the parse tree
> 9 Visualize data file contents
> 10 Visualize data changes in time
> 11 Identify incompabilities with OpenCobol
>
> We need to estimate the size of the migration effort,
> show in a spike we can co-exist and transfer data,
> identify risks, create and describe a migration path
> with small enough steps,  and show progress and
> work remaining.
>
> Stephan

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."