Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All,

Code Assist doesn't seem to be working or turned on in 8.5.2.  What do I need to do to turn it on?

Lou

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Marten Feldtmann-2
I noticed this also - no idea why ... because sometimes it worked ...

Marten

Am Freitag, 21. September 2012 20:24:38 UTC+2 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:
Hi All,

Code Assist doesn't seem to be working or turned on in 8.5.2.  What do I need to do to turn it on?

Lou

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Marten Feldtmann-2
When I open a Workspace it is working out of the box - in the source code widget of a browser it does not work any more ... any idea or can you confirm it.

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Seth Berman
Is this an install to an existing manager or fully clean?  Windows?
I can't yet confirm this on a clean install of 8.5.2.

You can try the following to restore default CA settings in the manager:
System Transcript->Options->Code Assist->Edit...
Change the 'Filter By:' to read 'All'
Press the 'Restore All Defaults' button on the bottom left.
Close the config window.

Try it again...still seeing the issue?

Am 22.09.2012 21:52, schrieb Seth Berman:
> Is this an install to an existing manager or fully clean?  Windows?

Existing Manager

> You can try the following to restore default CA settings in the manager:
> System Transcript->Options->Code Assist->Edit...
> Change the 'Filter By:' to read 'All'
> Press the 'Restore All Defaults' button on the bottom left.
> Close the config window.
>
> Try it again...still seeing the issue?

Yes

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Seth Berman
I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different configurations and setups...but no joy.
You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the browser widget.
This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

-- Seth

Am 23.09.2012 01:29, schrieb Seth Berman:
> I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different
> configurations and setups...but no joy.
> You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
> You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

I tested this with a new mgr85.dat and got the following results (here
W7/64bit):

Workspaces: Yes
Inspectors: No
Debuggers: Yes
ClassBrowser: Yes
ApplicationsBrowser: No
HierarchyBrowser: Yes
Script Editor: no

> Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could
> never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the
> browser widget.
> This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look
> and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code
> assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
> If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

No changes here ...

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Seth Berman
Thanks Marten...found it.  Looks like some regressions came in as a result of the inspector inclusion.
I'm opening a case and will put a patch together.

BTW, everything you listed above I was able to reproduce except for the inspector.  Can you tell me the
class of the inspector that you were using?  Thanks

-- Seth

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:46:14 AM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Am 23.09.2012 01:29, schrieb Seth Berman:
> I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different
> configurations and setups...but no joy.
> You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
> You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

I tested this with a new mgr85.dat and got the following results (here
W7/64bit):

Workspaces: Yes
Inspectors: No
Debuggers: Yes
ClassBrowser: Yes
ApplicationsBrowser: No
HierarchyBrowser: Yes
Script Editor: no

> Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could
> never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the
> browser widget.
> This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look
> and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code
> assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
> If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

No changes here ...

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Jan van de Sandt
Hello Seth,

Is a patch for the Code Assist problems in version 8.5.2 already available? Or is there some setting or workaround so that we can get Code Assist working in the browsers again? I really miss this very useful feature ...

Jan.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Seth Berman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Marten...found it.  Looks like some regressions came in as a result of the inspector inclusion.
I'm opening a case and will put a patch together.

BTW, everything you listed above I was able to reproduce except for the inspector.  Can you tell me the
class of the inspector that you were using?  Thanks

-- Seth

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:46:14 AM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Am 23.09.2012 01:29, schrieb Seth Berman:
> I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different
> configurations and setups...but no joy.
> You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
> You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

I tested this with a new mgr85.dat and got the following results (here
W7/64bit):

Workspaces: Yes
Inspectors: No
Debuggers: Yes
ClassBrowser: Yes
ApplicationsBrowser: No
HierarchyBrowser: Yes
Script Editor: no

> Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could
> never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the
> browser widget.
> This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look
> and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code
> assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
> If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

No changes here ...

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Seth Berman
Hello Jan,

Attached is the *unofficial* patch I've worked up so far and will restore CA to the application browsers.

Attached are exported applications to:

1. Add code assist back to Application, Applications and AbtScript Browsers
2. Fix code completions in inspectors when the completion request falls within
    the range of the debugPrintString size.

Regards,
Seth

b232_CA_Fixes1.zip (2M) Download Attachment

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Jan van de Sandt
Hello Seth,

Thank you for the fixes. Code Assist now works fine again.

Jan.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Seth Berman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Jan,

Attached is the *unofficial* patch I've worked up so far and will restore CA to the application browsers.

Attached are exported applications to:

1. Add code assist back to Application, Applications and AbtScript Browsers
2. Fix code completions in inspectors when the completion request falls within
    the range of the debugPrintString size.

Regards,
Seth

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:17:59 AM UTC-4, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
Hello Seth,

Is a patch for the Code Assist problems in version 8.5.2 already available? Or is there some setting or workaround so that we can get Code Assist working in the browsers again? I really miss this very useful feature ...

Jan.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Seth Berman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Marten...found it.  Looks like some regressions came in as a result of the inspector inclusion.
I'm opening a case and will put a patch together.

BTW, everything you listed above I was able to reproduce except for the inspector.  Can you tell me the
class of the inspector that you were using?  Thanks

-- Seth

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:46:14 AM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Am 23.09.2012 01:29, schrieb Seth Berman:
> I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different
> configurations and setups...but no joy.
> You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
> You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

I tested this with a new mgr85.dat and got the following results (here
W7/64bit):

Workspaces: Yes
Inspectors: No
Debuggers: Yes
ClassBrowser: Yes
ApplicationsBrowser: No
HierarchyBrowser: Yes
Script Editor: no

> Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could
> never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the
> browser widget.
> This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look
> and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code
> assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
> If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

No changes here ...

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Louis LaBrunda
Hello Seth,

Thank you for the fixes. And thanks to Marten for answering all your questions.  Code Assist now works great again.

Lou

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:22:00 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
Hello Jan,

Attached is the *unofficial* patch I've worked up so far and will restore CA to the application browsers.

Attached are exported applications to:

1. Add code assist back to Application, Applications and AbtScript Browsers
2. Fix code completions in inspectors when the completion request falls within
    the range of the debugPrintString size.

Regards,
Seth

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:17:59 AM UTC-4, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
Hello Seth,

Is a patch for the Code Assist problems in version 8.5.2 already available? Or is there some setting or workaround so that we can get Code Assist working in the browsers again? I really miss this very useful feature ...

Jan.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Seth Berman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Marten...found it.  Looks like some regressions came in as a result of the inspector inclusion.
I'm opening a case and will put a patch together.

BTW, everything you listed above I was able to reproduce except for the inspector.  Can you tell me the
class of the inspector that you were using?  Thanks

-- Seth

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:46:14 AM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Am 23.09.2012 01:29, schrieb Seth Berman:
> I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different
> configurations and setups...but no joy.
> You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
> You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

I tested this with a new mgr85.dat and got the following results (here
W7/64bit):

Workspaces: Yes
Inspectors: No
Debuggers: Yes
ClassBrowser: Yes
ApplicationsBrowser: No
HierarchyBrowser: Yes
Script Editor: no

> Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could
> never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the
> browser widget.
> This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look
> and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code
> assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
> If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

No changes here ...

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Dusty-2
Hi Seth

Sorry for my ignorence (as mentioned, I've been developing for 6 months or so) but how do I patch my VAST with your fix?
You can learn me! heh
Thanks
Dusty

On Tuesday, 9 October 2012 19:22:00 UTC+2, Seth Berman wrote:
Hello Jan,

Attached is the *unofficial* patch I've worked up so far and will restore CA to the application browsers.

Attached are exported applications to:

1. Add code assist back to Application, Applications and AbtScript Browsers
2. Fix code completions in inspectors when the completion request falls within
    the range of the debugPrintString size.

Regards,
Seth

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:17:59 AM UTC-4, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
Hello Seth,

Is a patch for the Code Assist problems in version 8.5.2 already available? Or is there some setting or workaround so that we can get Code Assist working in the browsers again? I really miss this very useful feature ...

Jan.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Seth Berman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Marten...found it.  Looks like some regressions came in as a result of the inspector inclusion.
I'm opening a case and will put a patch together.

BTW, everything you listed above I was able to reproduce except for the inspector.  Can you tell me the
class of the inspector that you were using?  Thanks

-- Seth

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:46:14 AM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Am 23.09.2012 01:29, schrieb Seth Berman:
> I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different
> configurations and setups...but no joy.
> You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
> You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

I tested this with a new mgr85.dat and got the following results (here
W7/64bit):

Workspaces: Yes
Inspectors: No
Debuggers: Yes
ClassBrowser: Yes
ApplicationsBrowser: No
HierarchyBrowser: Yes
Script Editor: no

> Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could
> never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the
> browser widget.
> This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look
> and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code
> assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
> If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

No changes here ...

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Seth Berman
Hi Dusty,

Sure...no problem.

1. Download and unzip the file attached to this thread: b232_CA_Fixes1.zip
   - You will now have a file named b232_CA_Fixes1.dat, which contains two
     updated versions of applications that have been exported to this file

2. Open an abt vast image

3. System Transcript Menu -> Tools -> Manage Applications
   - Click on the resulting Application manger windows

4. Now you will import the applications from the patch file
   Application Manager Menu -> Applications -> Import/Export -> Import Applications...

5. Erase 'localhost' from the resulting popup so the text field is blank and press 'Ok'

6. Select the patch file, which you unzipped, from the file dialog and press 'Open'

7. You will now see a selection required dialog, from which you will select all names and versions
   from the left side and use the '>>' button to commit to the selection to the right side.  At the
   end of this, you should see the following in the Selected Version column
   StsCodeAssistApp b232 + 50057 a
   StsPowerTools b232 + 50058 a
   Press 'Ok' when finished to import these fixes into your manager.

8.  Now the code is in your manager repository, but not loaded into you live image...so we need to do that.
    From the Application Manager, find and select StsPowerTools in the left pane.
Bring up a popup menu on it -> Load -> Another Edition...
Select 'StsPowerTools b232 + 50058 a' and press ok.
9.  Now we load the other part of the patch
    From the Application Manager, find and select StsCodeAssistApp in the left pane.
Bring up a popup menu on it -> Load -> Another Edition...
Select 'StsCodeAssistApp b232 + 50057 a' and press ok.
You should now have the patch not only imported into your manager, but also loaded into your running image.
In order to retain what you just did, you will probably want to save your image.  Otherwise, you will need to
repeat steps 8 and 9 every time you start a new image.

Hope this helps...let me know if you need additional help

Regards

--Seth

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:00:18 AM UTC-4, Dusty wrote:
Hi Seth

Sorry for my ignorence (as mentioned, I've been developing for 6 months or so) but how do I patch my VAST with your fix?
You can learn me! heh
Thanks
Dusty

On Tuesday, 9 October 2012 19:22:00 UTC+2, Seth Berman wrote:
Hello Jan,

Attached is the *unofficial* patch I've worked up so far and will restore CA to the application browsers.

Attached are exported applications to:

1. Add code assist back to Application, Applications and AbtScript Browsers
2. Fix code completions in inspectors when the completion request falls within
    the range of the debugPrintString size.

Regards,
Seth

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:17:59 AM UTC-4, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
Hello Seth,

Is a patch for the Code Assist problems in version 8.5.2 already available? Or is there some setting or workaround so that we can get Code Assist working in the browsers again? I really miss this very useful feature ...

Jan.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Seth Berman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Marten...found it.  Looks like some regressions came in as a result of the inspector inclusion.
I'm opening a case and will put a patch together.

BTW, everything you listed above I was able to reproduce except for the inspector.  Can you tell me the
class of the inspector that you were using?  Thanks

-- Seth

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:46:14 AM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Am 23.09.2012 01:29, schrieb Seth Berman:
> I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different
> configurations and setups...but no joy.
> You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
> You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

I tested this with a new mgr85.dat and got the following results (here
W7/64bit):

Workspaces: Yes
Inspectors: No
Debuggers: Yes
ClassBrowser: Yes
ApplicationsBrowser: No
HierarchyBrowser: Yes
Script Editor: no

> Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could
> never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the
> browser widget.
> This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look
> and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code
> assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
> If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

No changes here ...

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

jtuchel
Hi Seth,

it seems the fix does not work for the workspace in INspectors (the one you can toggle on/off in Inspectors). Is that a feature?

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2012 19:22:00 UTC+2 schrieb Seth Berman:
Hello Jan,

Attached is the *unofficial* patch I've worked up so far and will restore CA to the application browsers.

Attached are exported applications to:

1. Add code assist back to Application, Applications and AbtScript Browsers
2. Fix code completions in inspectors when the completion request falls within
    the range of the debugPrintString size.

Regards,
Seth

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:17:59 AM UTC-4, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
Hello Seth,

Is a patch for the Code Assist problems in version 8.5.2 already available? Or is there some setting or workaround so that we can get Code Assist working in the browsers again? I really miss this very useful feature ...

Jan.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Seth Berman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Marten...found it.  Looks like some regressions came in as a result of the inspector inclusion.
I'm opening a case and will put a patch together.

BTW, everything you listed above I was able to reproduce except for the inspector.  Can you tell me the
class of the inspector that you were using?  Thanks

-- Seth

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:46:14 AM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Am 23.09.2012 01:29, schrieb Seth Berman:
> I've been trying to reproduce it for a while now in different
> configurations and setups...but no joy.
> You say its in a browser...exactly what kind of browser is it.
> You said it works for workspaces...how about inspectors and/or debuggers?

I tested this with a new mgr85.dat and got the following results (here
W7/64bit):

Workspaces: Yes
Inspectors: No
Debuggers: Yes
ClassBrowser: Yes
ApplicationsBrowser: No
HierarchyBrowser: Yes
Script Editor: no

> Once upon a time...I thought I saw some z-order issues but I could
> never repeat it...it may be that the popup is hiding behind the
> browser widget.
> This can be found by setting the "Max Visible Suggestions"  in "Look
> and Feel" options to something like 50, and then requesting code
> assist on an empty partial so we get a lot of suggestions.
> If this is the case, you will see the popup show up from behind.

No changes here ...

Re: Code Assist not working in 8.5.2?

Seth Berman
Hi Joachim,

No..it was just simply never enabled.  Looks like a simple fix to enable...I'll look at doing this or the up coming release.

The fix is trivial enough that I will just put it here if you are really interested.
Just add the following line to the end of StsWorkspaceInspector>>initializeAfterRealize

(self stsRequestCodeAssistOn: wsTextWidget contextProvider: self) ifNotNil: [:codeAssist | codeAssist connect].

...and that should do it