Code Assist suggestion

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Guys,

I have a suggestion for Code Assist and I'm wondering what everyone thinks.  I often find myself adding code to the middle of methods.  I won't bore you with why but it isn't because I can't think to write all the code at once.  Anyway, I like the way Code Assist inserts a new line and a tab to get you started on the new line of code.  I think it would be helpful if Code Assist also inserted a period after the tab and then moved the cursor between the tab and the period.  This helps Code Assist by giving it a clean break between the new code I am about to type and whatever follows, making it easier to Code Assist me.  What do you all think?

Lou

Re: Code Assist suggestion

Seth Berman
Hi Lou,

I can definitely see where it would be useful.  I'm wondering if the user would be annoyed that they always have to remove the period from the last statement in the source, since it's not required and most formatters will remove it anyway.

-- Seth

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:46:32 AM UTC-5, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have a suggestion for Code Assist and I'm wondering what everyone thinks.  I often find myself adding code to the middle of methods.  I won't bore you with why but it isn't because I can't think to write all the code at once.  Anyway, I like the way Code Assist inserts a new line and a tab to get you started on the new line of code.  I think it would be helpful if Code Assist also inserted a period after the tab and then moved the cursor between the tab and the period.  This helps Code Assist by giving it a clean break between the new code I am about to type and whatever follows, making it easier to Code Assist me.  What do you all think?

Lou

Re: Code Assist suggestion

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Seth,

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 10:31:00 AM UTC-5, Seth Berman wrote:
Hi Lou,

I can definitely see where it would be useful.  I'm wondering if the user would be annoyed that they always have to remove the period from the last statement in the source, since it's not required and most formatters will remove it anyway.

-- Seth

I'm interested as to what others think.  As for me, I always have a period at the end of the last statement.  I don't think I have a good reason other than habit and that I don't have to remember to add the period if I add code after the last line.

Lou

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:46:32 AM UTC-5, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have a suggestion for Code Assist and I'm wondering what everyone thinks.  I often find myself adding code to the middle of methods.  I won't bore you with why but it isn't because I can't think to write all the code at once.  Anyway, I like the way Code Assist inserts a new line and a tab to get you started on the new line of code.  I think it would be helpful if Code Assist also inserted a period after the tab and then moved the cursor between the tab and the period.  This helps Code Assist by giving it a clean break between the new code I am about to type and whatever follows, making it easier to Code Assist me.  What do you all think?

Lou

Re: Code Assist suggestion

jtuchel
Seth,

I don't like the fact that the last period is removed by my favorite formatter (QA), because I always have to re-add it when I have to add new statements at the end ;-)

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 11. November 2014 16:31:00 UTC+1 schrieb Seth Berman:
[...]

But to answer Lou's suggestion:

In case you'll add a cascade of messages, you'd have to "drag the period around over multiple lines". Sounds a bit odd to me.
On the other hand, this would save a bit of time.

... And of course the thing with Code Assist's code completion that only works correctly if there is a period is a stroooong argument in favor of your suggestion.

So for now +1/-1 ;-)

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 11. November 2014 18:05:12 UTC+1 schrieb Joachim Tuchel:
[...]

Hey Joachim,

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:08:21 PM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
But to answer Lou's suggestion:

In case you'll add a cascade of messages, you'd have to "drag the period around over multiple lines". Sounds a bit odd to me.
On the other hand, this would save a bit of time.

I don't think I understand what you mean.  If you mean that you want to enter a statement on more than one line, pressing enter (when the period is being pushed to the right) would cause a new line/tab/period, and there would be two periods, I think that Code Assist could avoid adding the second period.  If you mean something else, I don't understand, so please tell me more.

Lou

[...]

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:31:00 AM UTC-8, Seth Berman wrote:
I can definitely see where it would be useful.  I'm wondering if the user would be annoyed that they always have to remove the period from the last statement in the source, since it's not required and most formatters will remove it anyway.

I never "have to" remove the period from the last line. The fact that some formatters decide it is appropriate is a matter for debate and in another message. However, no one ever has to removed that final period. If the formatter leaves it, the source code is still valid.

I like the suggestion that if I insert a line following the end of a statement, my new statement is provided with a period. There will be special cases, such as if I am inserting a comment. But if so, my comment should end with a period before the closing quote, so it is not normally a wasted addition.

I would suggest ending the new line with the same "end of line" from the previous one. That would handle periods for ends of statements; semi-colons for "ends" of cascaded statements, and no punctuation for a continued line.

Re: Code Assist suggestion

jtuchel
Hi Lou,

that's exactly what I mean: I'd constantly push the period forward with the Cursor. I think it would feel strange, but still be helpful ;-)
Multiple periods should be avoided, of course, even if there are Tabs and spaces in-between.

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 11. November 2014 19:36:20 UTC+1 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:
[...]

Richard,

thanks for pointing out the several options that may be needed. You bring up a few new aspects, like what if I just opened a square bracket in a line and press Enter? What would the new line contain? A period is not necessarily wrong, but also maybe just "useless". Would I find that more helpful or more annoying? I guess I can't tell right now.

Joachim

Am Mittwoch, 12. November 2014 03:53:29 UTC+1 schrieb Richard Sargent:
[...]

Hi Joachim,

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:37:26 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
Hi Lou,

that's exactly what I mean: I'd constantly push the period forward with the Cursor. I think it would feel strange, but still be helpful ;-)
Multiple periods should be avoided, of course, even if there are Tabs and spaces in-between.

Okay, it may end up feeling strange to some but lately I have been putting the period in and backing up the cursor just to get Code Assist to do its thing (which I really love).  Pushing the period around doesn't seem to bother me.  If it turns out the period isn't needed/wanted, I just press delete as the period is the next thing after the cursor.

I'm sure there are times when using something other than a period or making sure there isn't more than one period needs to be considered but I'm also sure that with our help/comments Seth can figure out what is best to do.

Thanks everyone for the comment.  Keep them coming.

Lou