Code Completion Table with dead entries

Volkert
Hello,

i have a question. Why does the code completion offers methods that were removed? I have some
cases where deleted methods still listed as "symbol (no implementors)". I there a way to remove
them from the code completion table?

Pharo-1.4, Nautilus, NOCController

Volkert

Re: Code Completion Table with dead entries

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 29, 2012, at 1:22 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have a question. Why does the code completion offers methods that were removed?

probably because it works at the symbol level and not method dictionary.
May be removing a method could unintern its selector from the symbol cache.

> I have some
> cases where deleted methods still listed as "symbol (no implementors)".

where?
In nautilus?

> I there a way to remove
> them from the code completion table?
>
> Pharo-1.4, Nautilus, NOCController
>
> Volkert

Re: Code Completion Table with dead entries

Volkert

>> Hello,
>>
>> i have a question. Why does the code completion offers methods that were removed?
>
> probably because it works at the symbol level and not method dictionary.
> May be removing a method could unintern its selector from the symbol cache.
>
>> I have some
>> cases where deleted methods still listed as "symbol (no implementors)".
>
> where?
> In nautilus?
In workspace, nautilus, ... the removed methods still listed in the code completion popup.

I removed the messages with nautilus and also with the default system browser. Same effect.

if this is an bug, i can open a ticket.

Volkert

Re: Code Completion Table with dead entries

EstebanLM
Hi

that's because it does not has anything to do with the code completion, but with the fact that symbols are still there (they are not removed when you remove the method). OCompletion just shows you a bunch of *symbols* you used lately (sorted with some -not much- intelligence), not methods or classes or anything...
I think there are to possible fixes:
1) just remove the symbols (but that can lead to other problems, when you remove a method but there are still references around),  or
2) iimplement a new-new ocompletion who actually sort method and classes, not just symbols

Of course that can be fixed (and should be, eventually)... but who can take it? The "in house pharo team" now is really busy stabilizing 2.0 to take another feature action right now.
But I think I don't need to remember you that the "full pharo team" are not just us, it includes all of you too. Any help (implementing cool stuff, fixing bugs or just reporting them) is always welcome (and talking by myself, I welcome much more the first, "implementing cool stuff" ;)

best,
Esteban

On May 29, 2012, at 5:07 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i have a question. Why does the code completion offers methods that were removed?
>>
>> probably because it works at the symbol level and not method dictionary.
>> May be removing a method could unintern its selector from the symbol cache.
>>
>>> I have some
>>> cases where deleted methods still listed as "symbol (no implementors)".
>>
>> where?
>> In nautilus?
> In workspace, nautilus, ... the removed methods still listed in the code completion popup.
>
> I removed the messages with nautilus and also with the default system browser. Same effect.
>
> if this is an bug, i can open a ticket.
>
> Volkert

Re: Code Completion Table with dead entries

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Maybe a Symbol compactSymbolTable "solves" the problem. What still, when to execute the compact?

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Code Completion Table with dead entries

Volkert

> that's because it does not has anything to do with the code completion, but with the fact that symbols are still there (they are not removed when you remove the method). OCompletion just shows you a bunch of *symbols* you used lately (sorted with some -not much- intelligence), not methods or classes or anything...
Understand. So it  shows the expected behaviour, even if it not nice one.

> Of course that can be fixed (and should be, eventually)... but who can take it? The "in house pharo team" now is really busy stabilizing 2.0 to take another feature action right now.
I have no expectations here that this should fixed/enhanced with the upcoming 2.0. In my eyes it
was not clear, if it was a bug. Anyway i can open a feature request. ;-)

> But I think I don't need to remember you that the "full pharo team" are not just us, it includes all of you too. Any help (implementing cool stuff, fixing bugs or just reporting them) is always welcome (and talking by myself, I welcome much more the first, "implementing cool stuff" ;)
I just started with Pharo, so give me a few weeks (to implement cool stuff ;-))

Appreciate your work.

--
www.nivoba.de
www.software-wartung.net

PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Am 29.05.2012 um 17:21 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> that's because it does not has anything to do with the code completion, but with the fact that symbols are still there (they are not removed when you remove the method). OCompletion just shows you a bunch of *symbols* you used lately (sorted with some -not much- intelligence), not methods or classes or anything...
> I think there are to possible fixes:
> 1) just remove the symbols (but that can lead to other problems, when you remove a method but there are still references around),  or
> 2) iimplement a new-new ocompletion who actually sort method and classes, not just symbols
>
> Of course that can be fixed (and should be, eventually)... but who can take it? The "in house pharo team" now is really busy stabilizing 2.0 to take another feature action right now.
> But I think I don't need to remember you that the "full pharo team" are not just us, it includes all of you too. Any help (implementing cool stuff, fixing bugs or just reporting them) is always welcome (and talking by myself, I welcome much more the first, "implementing cool stuff" ;)
>

> Maybe a Symbol compactSymbolTable "solves" the problem. What still, when to execute the compact?
No effect.

> best,
> Esteban

> >> probably because it works at the symbol level and not method dictionary.
> >> May be removing a method could unintern its selector from the symbol cache.

> >> where?
> >> In nautilus?
> > In workspace, nautilus, ... the removed methods still listed in the code completion popup.
> >
> > I removed the messages with nautilus and also with the default system browser. Same effect.
> >
> > if this is an bug, i can open a ticket.
> >
> > Volkert
> >

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
www.nivoba.de
www.software-wartung.net
www.erlang-dach.org

PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Code Completion Table with dead entries

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 29 May 2012, at 18:05, Volkert Barr wrote:

> No effect.

But this is more complicated: OK, the method was removed, code completion shows the method based on the fact that the symbol exists. Now, compacting the table could remove the symbol, or not, maybe it is still used somewhere else (recent changes, changesets, monticello, …). IMHO, this feels like interfering with GC.

Completions is a hard problem: it would be dead slow if it was 100% accurate.

Sven

Re: Code Completion Table with dead entries

>> that's because it does not has anything to do with the code completion, but with the fact that symbols are still there (they are not removed when you remove the method). OCompletion just shows you a bunch of *symbols* you used lately (sorted with some -not much- intelligence), not methods or classes or anything...
> Understand. So it  shows the expected behaviour, even if it not nice one.
>
>> Of course that can be fixed (and should be, eventually)... but who can take it? The "in house pharo team" now is really busy stabilizing 2.0 to take another feature action right now.
> I have no expectations here that this should fixed/enhanced with the upcoming 2.0. In my eyes it
> was not clear, if it was a bug. Anyway i can open a feature request. ;-)
>
>> But I think I don't need to remember you that the "full pharo team" are not just us, it includes all of you too. Any help (implementing cool stuff, fixing bugs or just reporting them) is always welcome (and talking by myself, I welcome much more the first, "implementing cool stuff" ;)
> I just started with Pharo, so give me a few weeks (to implement cool stuff ;-))

excellent!

> Appreciate your work.

tx