Code Organization: story boarding

James Ashley
This is a problem I haven't ever been able to even really even been
able to contemplate expressing in another language. Yet again, my
apologies if this is the wrong forum for such a discussion.

I'd like to be able to write a program that allows me to plot out a
"story board" for a series of books. The details are pretty nebulous
at this point.

I'm imagining a series of classes that include things like a TimeLine,
Characters, Map, and Scenes. It seems to me that each Scene would need
some sort of instance of each Character--his/her outfit, etc.

Now, assuming I were some sort of amazingly prolific writer, it seems
like I'd wind up with a huge collection of Packages to wander through.
Especially if I started trying to mix and match characters. "For this
book, I'd like to use Santa Claus *and* the Easter Bunny"...characters
I created for earlier books that belonged separate packages, back
then. And probably will again, for my next book.

I'm actually thinking of a website that allows authors to set up
story-boarding scenarios. Which would mean creating class hierarchies
like this behind the scenes. Making RDBMS entries works, sort of, but
that just doesn't really cut the mustard.

What's the idiomatic way to handle something like this? (Yes, it's all
theoretical...I'm a lousy fiction writer). Multiple images, importing
the bits and pieces that make sense for a given project?

Thanks,
James

Re: Code Organization: story boarding

Stéphane Ducasse
did you look at Sophie

Stef

On Nov 7, 2010, at 3:50 AM, James Ashley wrote:

> This is a problem I haven't ever been able to even really even been
> able to contemplate expressing in another language. Yet again, my
> apologies if this is the wrong forum for such a discussion.
>
> I'd like to be able to write a program that allows me to plot out a
> "story board" for a series of books. The details are pretty nebulous
> at this point.
>
> I'm imagining a series of classes that include things like a TimeLine,
> Characters, Map, and Scenes. It seems to me that each Scene would need
> some sort of instance of each Character--his/her outfit, etc.
>
> Now, assuming I were some sort of amazingly prolific writer, it seems
> like I'd wind up with a huge collection of Packages to wander through.
> Especially if I started trying to mix and match characters. "For this
> book, I'd like to use Santa Claus *and* the Easter Bunny"...characters
> I created for earlier books that belonged separate packages, back
> then. And probably will again, for my next book.
>
> I'm actually thinking of a website that allows authors to set up
> story-boarding scenarios. Which would mean creating class hierarchies
> like this behind the scenes. Making RDBMS entries works, sort of, but
> that just doesn't really cut the mustard.
>
> What's the idiomatic way to handle something like this? (Yes, it's all
> theoretical...I'm a lousy fiction writer). Multiple images, importing
> the bits and pieces that make sense for a given project?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Re: Code Organization: story boarding

James Ashley
On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 3:51 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> did you look at Sophie

I'm still trying to get the basics under my belt. Thank you for the pointer.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> did you look at Sophie

Looking back, I see that my question was very badly worded and far too concrete.

Let's suppose that I have multiple projects that are big, nasty,
enterprise-level pieces of complexity. What's the Smalltalk "way" of
dealing with them?

I'm inclined to think that I should create multiple images, one for
each instance of "nastiness." But I fear that's just my naive clueless
n00bism rushing in, whining about not having name spaces.

So how do experts deal with this issue?

Thank you,
James