Code critic filters

davidbuck
A little-known feature of the Code Critic is that it allows you to create filter sets. Once you've looked at a warning produced by the Code Critic and decided that it's really ok, you can add the method to a filter set and save the filter set to a file. Thereafter, the code critic won't complain about that code.

At least, that's the way it's supposed to work.  In VW7.7 (and likely for a long time before that), the ability to add methods to filter sets hasn't been enabled. If you click on the Code Critic tab, you can still see the menu items under Edit to load and save filter sets, but you can't add classes or methods to them which makes them rather useless.

As far as I can tell, this feature just fell by the wayside years ago. There's ENVY loaded code that's supposed to add the menu items but it doesn't even work because of a change in the structure of the menus.

If you want to enable this functionality, you can make the following changes:

In BrowserNavigator
addFilterForClass
    <menuItem: 'Add Filter for Class'
        icon: nil
        nameKey: #AddFilter
        enablement: #canFilterClasses
        indication: nil
        menu: #(#classMenu )
        position:220.1>

    self changeRequest ifFalse: [^self].
    self selectedClasses
        do: [:each | self environment addFilterForClass: each].
    self refreshLists
-------------------------------
addFilterForSelector
    <menuItem: 'Add Filter for Selector'
        icon: nil
        nameKey: #AddFilter
        enablement: #canFilterSelectors
        indication: nil
        menu: #(#selectorMenu )
        position:220.1>

    self changeRequest ifFalse: [^self].
    self definitions do:
            [:each |
            self environment addFilterForClass: each implementingClass
                andSelector: each selector].
    self refreshLists
Does Cincom plan to re-enable this feature?

David Buck
Simberon Inc.
www.simberon.com

Re: Code critic filters

Niall Ross
Dear David
    AR 60330 Reenable filter sets in Code Critic

          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross

> A little-known feature of the Code Critic is that it allows you to
> create filter sets. Once you've looked at a warning produced by the
> Code Critic and decided that it's really ok, you can add the method to
> a filter set and save the filter set to a file. Thereafter, the code
> critic won't complain about that code.
>
> At least, that's the way it's supposed to work.  In VW7.7 (and likely
> for a long time before that), the ability to add methods to filter
> sets hasn't been enabled. If you click on the Code Critic tab, you can
> still see the menu items under Edit to load and save filter sets, but
> you can't add classes or methods to them which makes them rather useless.
>
> As far as I can tell, this feature just fell by the wayside years ago.
> There's ENVY loaded code that's supposed to add the menu items but it
> doesn't even work because of a change in the structure of the menus.
>
> If you want to enable this functionality, you can make the following
> changes:
>
> In BrowserNavigator
>
>     addFilterForClass
>         <menuItem: 'Add Filter for Class'
>             icon: nil
>             nameKey: #AddFilter
>             enablement: #canFilterClasses
>             indication: nil
>             menu: #(#classMenu )
>             position:220.1>
>
>         self changeRequest ifFalse: [^self].
>         self selectedClasses
>             do: [:each | self environment addFilterForClass: each].
>         self refreshLists
>
> -------------------------------
>
>     addFilterForSelector
>         <menuItem: 'Add Filter for Selector'
>             icon: nil
>             nameKey: #AddFilter
>             enablement: #canFilterSelectors
>             indication: nil
>             menu: #(#selectorMenu )
>             position:220.1>
>
>         self changeRequest ifFalse: [^self].
>         self definitions do:
>                 [:each |
>                 self environment addFilterForClass: each implementingClass
>                     andSelector: each selector].
>         self refreshLists
>
> Does Cincom plan to re-enable this feature?
>
> David Buck
> Simberon Inc.
> www.simberon.com

Re: Code critic filters

Sherry Michael
This has already been handled for VW 7.7.1 in the context of AR 60150: "Fix Store Browser menu
execution with correct enablement, show/hide", which required review of all RB menu items for
their relevance to the Store Browsers.