CodeCity

Richard Wettel-3
Dear all

After the short preview at the last Moose Dojo, I am happy to let you know that the first version of the brand new CodeCity is out.

CodeCity is a 3D visualization engineased on a city metaphor, which enables us to depict software systems as cities. If you want to know more about this approach, have a look here:

I have now implemented the basic functionality of CodeCity in Pharo and integrated it with Moose. Here is a code city of ArgoUML in the new CodeCity:

Inline image 1

To install CodeCity, you need to run this code in a Moose image (setting Moose as a prerequisite is on my TODO list):

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'RichardWettel' project: 'CodeCity'; configuration; load. (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCodeCity) loadDevelopment

You can also get the latest successful build from:

The new CodeCity does not provide a configuration UI, but it relies on scripting. A script to obtain a city visualization of a Moose model is shown here:

Inline image 4

A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).

Inline image 2

While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.

In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!

Cheers
Ricky

Re: [Pharo-users] CodeCity

Tudor Girba-2
Beautiful! (I have been spoiled by being exposed to this for quite some time now :))

Thanks, Ricky. This is a valuable addition.

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-users] CodeCity

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Wow !

On 11 Mar 2014, at 14:29, Richard Wettel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> After the short preview at the last Moose Dojo, I am happy to let you know that the first version of the brand new CodeCity is out.
>
> CodeCity is a 3D visualization engineased on a city metaphor, which enables us to depict software systems as cities. If you want to know more about this approach, have a look here:
> http://www.inf.usi.ch/phd/wettel/codecity.html
>
> I have now implemented the basic functionality of CodeCity in Pharo and integrated it with Moose. Here is a code city of ArgoUML in the new CodeCity:
>
> <CodeCity-Argo.png>
>
> To install CodeCity, you need to run this code in a Moose image (setting Moose as a prerequisite is on my TODO list):
>
> Gofer new
>    smalltalkhubUser: 'RichardWettel' project: 'CodeCity';
>    configuration;
>    load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCodeCity) loadDevelopment
>

> You can also get the latest successful build from:
> http://ci.inria.fr/moose/job/codecity/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/codecity.zip
>
> The new CodeCity does not provide a configuration UI, but it relies on scripting. A script to obtain a city visualization of a Moose model is shown here:
>
> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>

> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>
> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>
> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>
> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!
>
> Cheers
> Ricky

Re: [Pharo-users] CodeCity

abergel
Impressive!
It would be great if we could join forces. Roassal 3d offers all the low level bricks to build appealing visualization in 3d.

Alexandre

On Mar 11, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow !
>
> On 11 Mar 2014, at 14:29, Richard Wettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> After the short preview at the last Moose Dojo, I am happy to let you know that the first version of the brand new CodeCity is out.
>>
>> CodeCity is a 3D visualization engineased on a city metaphor, which enables us to depict software systems as cities. If you want to know more about this approach, have a look here:
>> http://www.inf.usi.ch/phd/wettel/codecity.html
>>
>> I have now implemented the basic functionality of CodeCity in Pharo and integrated it with Moose. Here is a code city of ArgoUML in the new CodeCity:
>>
>> <CodeCity-Argo.png>
>>
>> To install CodeCity, you need to run this code in a Moose image (setting Moose as a prerequisite is on my TODO list):
>>
>> Gofer new
>>   smalltalkhubUser: 'RichardWettel' project: 'CodeCity';
>>   configuration;
>>   load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCodeCity) loadDevelopment
>>

>> You can also get the latest successful build from:
>> http://ci.inria.fr/moose/job/codecity/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/codecity.zip
>>
>> The new CodeCity does not provide a configuration UI, but it relies on scripting. A script to obtain a city visualization of a Moose model is shown here:
>>
>> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>>

>> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>>
>> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>>
>> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>>
>> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ricky

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Pharo-users] CodeCity

jannik laval
Hi,

It seems interesting,
Could you provide some example code, that we can try. For example the script you use for ArgoUML ?

Thank you,
Cheers,
Jannik

Impressive!
It would be great if we could join forces. Roassal 3d offers all the low level bricks to build appealing visualization in 3d.

Alexandre

On Mar 11, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow !
>
> On 11 Mar 2014, at 14:29, Richard Wettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> After the short preview at the last Moose Dojo, I am happy to let you know that the first version of the brand new CodeCity is out.
>>
>> CodeCity is a 3D visualization engineased on a city metaphor, which enables us to depict software systems as cities. If you want to know more about this approach, have a look here:
>> http://www.inf.usi.ch/phd/wettel/codecity.html
>>
>> I have now implemented the basic functionality of CodeCity in Pharo and integrated it with Moose. Here is a code city of ArgoUML in the new CodeCity:
>>
>> <CodeCity-Argo.png>
>>
>> To install CodeCity, you need to run this code in a Moose image (setting Moose as a prerequisite is on my TODO list):
>>
>> Gofer new
>>   smalltalkhubUser: 'RichardWettel' project: 'CodeCity';
>>   configuration;
>>   load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCodeCity) loadDevelopment
>>

>> You can also get the latest successful build from:
>> http://ci.inria.fr/moose/job/codecity/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/codecity.zip
>>
>> The new CodeCity does not provide a configuration UI, but it relies on scripting. A script to obtain a city visualization of a Moose model is shown here:
>>
>> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>>

>> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>>
>> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>>
>> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>>
>> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ricky

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
Enseignant-chercheur
http://www.jannik-laval.eu
http://car.mines-douai.fr/

Re: [Pharo-users] CodeCity

Hi richie

I have another question why Moose is a prerequisite?
We have ring and Smalltalk classes and methods objects so it would be nice to have an API that lets people use different kinds of objects
as city.

Stef

[...]

Re: CodeCity

pharo4Stef@free.fr
Hi richie

This is really cool.
Do you use NBOpenGL?
[...]

Yes, it is.

Doru

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool!
Is it based on NBOpenGL?

Stef

[...]

Moose is not a prerequisite.

It's just a convenience to get the inspector integration when you have it.

Doru

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Alex. Maybe we can do something together.
One thing I was looking into at the beginning was using Roassal 3D to do the rendering.
Unfortunately I am a newbie with OpenGL and the Roassal building blocks were too much for me.
I had to fight my way into OpenGL to achieve the basic funtionality needed in CodeCity.
Now I only have minor things (optimizations and such) to solve and then I can focus on objects :)

Cheers
Ricky

On 11 Mar 2014, at 15:29, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Impressive!
> It would be great if we could join forces. Roassal 3d offers all the low level bricks to build appealing visualization in 3d.
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Mar 11, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wow !
>>
>> On 11 Mar 2014, at 14:29, Richard Wettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> After the short preview at the last Moose Dojo, I am happy to let you know that the first version of the brand new CodeCity is out.
>>>
>>> CodeCity is a 3D visualization engineased on a city metaphor, which enables us to depict software systems as cities. If you want to know more about this approach, have a look here:
>>> http://www.inf.usi.ch/phd/wettel/codecity.html
>>>
>>> I have now implemented the basic functionality of CodeCity in Pharo and integrated it with Moose. Here is a code city of ArgoUML in the new CodeCity:
>>>
>>> <CodeCity-Argo.png>
>>>
>>> To install CodeCity, you need to run this code in a Moose image (setting Moose as a prerequisite is on my TODO list):
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>  smalltalkhubUser: 'RichardWettel' project: 'CodeCity';
>>>  configuration;
>>>  load.
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCodeCity) loadDevelopment
>>>

>>> You can also get the latest successful build from:
>>> http://ci.inria.fr/moose/job/codecity/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/codecity.zip
>>>
>>> The new CodeCity does not provide a configuration UI, but it relies on scripting. A script to obtain a city visualization of a Moose model is shown here:
>>>
>>> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>>>

>>> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>>>
>>> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>>>
>>> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>>>
>>> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Ricky

Re: [Pharo-users] CodeCity

Richard Wettel-3
Hi Jannik

You can find examples in the CCBuilder, class side, in the #examples protocol.
These are all things that do not depend on Moose, vizualization of objects available in a vanilla image of Pharo.
As for the script I used for ArgoUML, you can find this in CCScriptExamples#exampleCity.

Cheers
Ricky

On 11 Mar 2014, at 20:34, jannik laval <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>>

>> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>>
>> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>>
>> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>>
>> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!

Thanks, Stef.
Yes, it is.

Ricky

On 11 Mar 2014, at 20:43, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cool!
Is it based on NBOpenGL?

Stef

On 11 Mar 2014, at 14:29, Richard Wettel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all

After the short preview at the last Moose Dojo, I am happy to let you know that the first version of the brand new CodeCity is out.

CodeCity is a 3D visualization engineased on a city metaphor, which enables us to depict software systems as cities. If you want to know more about this approach, have a look here:

I have now implemented the basic functionality of CodeCity in Pharo and integrated it with Moose. Here is a code city of ArgoUML in the new CodeCity:

<CodeCity-Argo.png>

To install CodeCity, you need to run this code in a Moose image (setting Moose as a prerequisite is on my TODO list):

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'RichardWettel' project: 'CodeCity'; configuration; load. (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCodeCity) loadDevelopment

You can also get the latest successful build from:

The new CodeCity does not provide a configuration UI, but it relies on scripting. A script to obtain a city visualization of a Moose model is shown here:

<CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>

A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).

<PharoScreenshot.5.png>

While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.

In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!

Cheers
Ricky

Re: [Pharo-users] CodeCity

abergel
> I had to fight my way into OpenGL to achieve the basic funtionality needed in CodeCity.

But we already fought against all the technical details with OpenGL :-)

> Now I only have minor things (optimizations and such) to solve and then I can focus on objects :)

I will probably allocate some engineering resource on having CodeCity on Roassal3d :-)

Alexandre

> On 11 Mar 2014, at 15:29, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Impressive!
>> It would be great if we could join forces. Roassal 3d offers all the low level bricks to build appealing visualization in 3d.
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On Mar 11, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Wow !

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Pharo-users] CodeCity

jannik laval
Thank you Ricky,

I just tried, but without success: it does not work on packages.
I added the method nestingLevel (just returns 1 for trying it), and I have this screen:
Images intégrées 1

> [...]

>> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>>

>> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>>
>> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>>
>> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>>
>> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!

Can you attach the script, Jannik?

Ricky

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 9:54 PM, jannik laval <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you Ricky,

I just tried, but without success: it does not work on packages.
I added the method nestingLevel (just returns 1 for trying it), and I have this screen:
<Untitled.png>

> [...]

>> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>>

>> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>>
>> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>>
>> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>>
>> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!

Hi Ricky,

This is the exampleCity, but applied on a Smalltalk imported code.

Jannik

> [...]

>> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>>

>> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>>
>> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>>
>> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>>
>> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!

I wrote an example of what the script for a Smalltalk system could look like.
Have a look at CCScriptExamples#exampleCityOfNonSmalltalkSystem.
You can replace the #weightedMethodCount metric in the normalizer with
whatever package metric you care for.

Cheers
Ricky

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM, jannik laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> <CodeCity-ArgoScript.png>
>>

>> A good way to get familiar with the scripting API of CodeCity are the examples. You can open CCBuilder in the new workspace (Playground) and you can browse the examples (the "e.g." tab).
>>
>> <PharoScreenshot.5.png>
>>
>> While CodeCity was initially aimed at software systems only, there is nothing that stops us to use it at visualizing any kind of data! One example was the visualization of the data taken from a database (population, city, countries, continents) presented at the Moose Dojo. I'm sure Doru will be pleased to show you more of that.
>>
>> In conclusion, I hope you'll enjoy playing/working with CodeCity as much as I have been enjoying re-implementing it in the last few months. Playing with CodeCity integrated in the Moose workflows is pure fun. But don' take my word for it, just give it a try!

It works fine.Images intégrées 1
Here is Phratch status.