CodeCritic

Long Haired David
Hi everyone. Many years ago, when we first started shipping frameworks, we used to run the code through Envy Code Critic. I am in the process of developing a Key/Value database and would like to do the same when it is ready to go. However, the main elements of the feature are now built in to the browsers but I would like to analyse a single app in one go if possible and get a summary of all the issues.

Is there a way to do that in 9.1?

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: CodeCritic

Mariano Martinez Peck-2

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 4:26 PM Totally Objects <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone. Many years ago, when we first started shipping frameworks, we used to run the code through Envy Code Critic. I am in the process of developing a Key/Value database and would like to do the same when it is ready to go. However, the main elements of the feature are now built in to the browsers but I would like to analyse a single app in one go if possible and get a summary of all the issues.

Is there a way to do that in 9.1?

Hi,

Maybe what you are looking for is Tools -> Smalllint ? You need to install the feature ST: ENVY/QA first..

See attached example. You can select as many apps/classes as you want and also select which rules to run.

Is that what you want?

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 4.33.45 PM.png (274K) Download Attachment

Re: CodeCritic

Noschvie
Hi Mariano

Maybe what you are looking for is Tools -> Smalllint ? You need to install the feature ST: ENVY/QA first..

have loaded "ST: ENVY/QA" since years and uses this tool but never seen "Tools -> Smalllint".
Any idea?
Thanks
Norbert

Re: CodeCritic

Mariano Martinez Peck-2

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 4:32 AM Norbert Schlemmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano

Maybe what you are looking for is Tools -> Smalllint ? You need to install the feature ST: ENVY/QA first..

have loaded "ST: ENVY/QA" since years and uses this tool but never seen "Tools -> Smalllint".
Any idea?

Sorry... you were right. Thing is...I always load a bunch of features to a clean image so I didn't remember where exactly it came from.
In this case, this was "z.ST: Refactoring Browser".

BTW, just for sharing purposes, below is the script I run into a fresh image to become it my "dev" image (you may want to copy parts and customize it for your own?)

| fontStruct fontName mapsToLoad enhancedListColor |

"Setting for rendering fonts nicer"
StsCodeFontManager default directWriteEnabled: true.

"Set custom code font"
"To get this string from the CURRENT configuration, just send evaluat:
 StsCodeFontManager default codeBrowserFontFor: Transcript  "
fontName := '-microsoft-droid sans mono-medium-r-normal--13-100-96-96-m-0-iso8859-1'.
fontStruct := Transcript shell display loadQueryFont: fontName.
fontStruct isNil
ifTrue: [CwMessagePrompter errorMessage: (NlsCatEST indexedMsg: 5)]
ifFalse: [
StsCodeFontManager default
updateCodeFontList: (CwFontList fontStruct: fontStruct)].

"Set custom browse font"
"To get this string from the CURRENT configuration, just evaluate:
 EtWindow fontName"
"fontName := '-microsoft-droid sans-medium-r-normal-sans serif-13-100-96-96-p-0-iso8859-1'."
"fontName := '-microsoft-amaranth-medium-r-normal--13-100-96-96-p-0-iso8859-1'.
(fontStruct := Transcript shell display loadQueryFont: fontName) isNil
ifTrue: [CwMessagePrompter errorMessage: (NlsCatEST  indexedMsg: 5)]
ifFalse: [EtWindow updateFontList: (CwFontList fontStruct: fontStruct)].
"

"Setting for sorting apps needing versioning first on app manager"
StsApplicationManager sort: #applicationsNeedingVersioningFirst.

"Setting to autofocus 'All' tab in class browser"
EtClassBrowser methodFiltering: #ShowPublicPrivateAll.

"Set color syntax max size to something much bigger than default"
StsPowerTools
parseTreeMaxMethodTextSize: SmallInteger largest;
updateStyling.
"Set custom color for lists"
enhancedListColor := Color fromString: '7D8C93'.
StsPowerTools
enhancedListColor: enhancedListColor;
updateAllBrowsersWithListColor: enhancedListColor.

"Select all categories in class browser"
EtClassBrowser selectAllCategoriesByDefault: true.

"Set desired theme"
StsPowerTools currentEditorTheme: 'Pharo 7.x Dark Theme'.

"Show timestamp as part of editions"
EmTimeStamp showVersionTimeStamps: true.

"Show horizontal scroll bars in upper panels of class browser"
EtClassBrowser showListHorizontalScrollBars: true.

"Bigger default size for some browsers"
StsApplicationManager defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800.
StsTabbedClassesBrowserWin  defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800.
StsConfigurationMapsBrowser defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800.
MedScriptManager defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800.
StsTabbedChangesBrowserWin defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800.
StsTabbedClassEditionBrowserWin defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800.
StsApplicationEditionsBrowser defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800.
StsApplicationsChangesBrowser defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800.
"SUnitBrowser defaultWindowSize: 1024 @ 800."
StsTranscript defaultWindowSize: 800 @ 320.

"Show line number in debugger and class browser too"
StsPowerTools showBrowserLineNumbers: true.
StsPowerTools showDebuggerLineNumbers: true.

"Show some more icons on the methods selectors on class browser"
StsPowerTools settings removeKey: #IconAbstract ifAbsent: [].
StsPowerTools settings removeKey: #IconRunnable ifAbsent: [].
StsPowerTools settings removeKey: #IconSubclassOverride ifAbsent: [].
StsPowerTools settings removeKey: #IconSubclassesRedefine ifAbsent: [].
StsPowerTools settings removeKey: #IconWarning ifAbsent: [].
StsPowerTools settings at: #ShowScratchApplicationHierarchies put: true.
StsPowerTools settings at: #ColorChangedCategories put: Color blue.
StsPowerTools settings at: #DragDrop put: true.
StsPowerTools settings at: #DragDropButton put: CwConstants::Button3.
StsPowerTools showGuiTypeAttributes: false.
StsPowerTools updateAllBrowsers.

"Customize CodeAssist"
StsCodeAssist configuration
bracketHighlightInsideComments: true;
bracketHighlightInsideStrings: true;
smartHighlightStyleSelectedWord: true.
StsCodeAssistApp storeCodeAssistConfiguration.

"So that when we import from a shipped manager we have the development versions
 and not the builder renamed tags"
"StsPowerTools importNewNamesAlwaysAccept."

"Load Development tools"
mapsToLoad :=  #(
'z.ST: ENVY/QA'
'z.ST: Monticello Importer'
'z.ST: Performance Workbench'
'z.ST: Refactoring Browser'
'z.ST: Server Workbench, Base'
'z.ST: Server, SST'
'z.ST: SUnit'
'Mastering ENVY/Developer Script Manager'
"'Instantiations ABT Development Preload'"
 ).
mapsToLoad do: [:each | (EmConfigurationMap editionsFor: each)
first loadWithRequiredMaps
].

System startUpClass debuggerClass: StsDebugger.

 "Finally, reset transcript"
 Transcript textWidget setString: Transcript defaultText

Thanks
Norbert

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: CodeCritic

Long Haired David
Hi Mariano.

I have tried running your script. I get two errors.

On says that MedScriptManager is undefined and the second just tells me that a font failed to load (don't know which one).

I deleted the Medscript line and just continued on the font failure. I can now see Smalllint but there are no check boxes in the columns as per the screen shot attached. Also, I can only see two of my apps (TobFlatToolBarsWidgetApp and TobToolBarsWidgetApp. None of my other apps are showing.

David

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:26:55 PM UTC, Totally Objects wrote:
Hi everyone. Many years ago, when we first started shipping frameworks, we used to run the code through Envy Code Critic. I am in the process of developing a Key/Value database and would like to do the same when it is ready to go. However, the main elements of the feature are now built in to the browsers but I would like to analyse a single app in one go if possible and get a summary of all the issues.

Is there a way to do that in 9.1?

smalllint.png (38K) Download Attachment
David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: CodeCritic

jtuchel
David

Iirc, the checkboxes only appear when you click on them. The tool is about 30 years old and even back then didn’t follow any GUI standars ;-) it is still helpful , however...

Joachim