Coding conventions

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

As Jimmie proposed I started writing coding conventions for developing
Aida and Scribo: http://www.aidaweb.si/coding-conventions.html.

So far just:

1. Because Aida is a portable framework, we must be careful to use
Sport portability library instead of dialect classes for Times, Files
and Sockets.
2. Aida is an international framework, with full Unicode support
internally and UTF-8 encoding externally

.. and I'm now out of ideas ..:)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Coding conventions

Nicolas Petton

Le vendredi 18 janvier 2008 à 12:50 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> As Jimmie proposed I started writing coding conventions for developing
> Aida and Scribo: http://www.aidaweb.si/coding-conventions.html.

Hi all,

Maybe use :

new
  ^self basicNew initialize

#contains: instead of #anySatisfy: for collections, and use ":=" instead
of "_" would be good too.

Cheers!

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Coding conventions

Nicholas Moore
Well done Janko - more than I have managed!

It seems to me that Smalltalk has been around for so long that there are many best practices that have emerged with respect to coding standards and patterns, enough to create a small library.

That suggests to me that there will not be many things which are unique to Aida because what is best practice in Smalltalk generally will apply to Aida. Therefore perhaps the 'conventions' might be more like a cross between a HowTo, a glossary and a features list.

Just trying to make life easier!! :-)).

Nicholas

Janko Mivšek wrote:
Dear all,

As Jimmie proposed I started writing coding conventions for developing
Aida and Scribo: http://www.aidaweb.si/coding-conventions.html.

So far just:

1. Because Aida is a portable framework, we must be careful to use
Sport portability library instead of dialect classes for Times, Files
and Sockets.
2. Aida is an international framework, with full Unicode support
internally and UTF-8 encoding externally

.. and I'm now out of ideas ..:)

Janko

--
NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore

Re: Coding conventions

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> As Jimmie proposed I started writing coding conventions for developing
> Aida and Scribo: http://www.aidaweb.si/coding-conventions.html.
>
> So far just:
>
> 1. Because Aida is a portable framework, we must be careful to use
> Sport portability library instead of dialect classes for Times, Files
> and Sockets.
> 2. Aida is an international framework, with full Unicode support
> internally and UTF-8 encoding externally
>
> .. and I'm now out of ideas ..:)

Thanks.

I think things like this need to grow organically over time. We don't
need the waterfall method for this.

Take a look at Seaside's conventions. Those will be the conventions of
our fellow Smalltalk web community. As we would like people from Seaside
to feel comfortable using AIDA/Web/Scribo when they feel that it fits
them or their project better, it would be nice if where reasonable the
conventions were the same. It would enable and encourage people in the
Smalltalk community to better go from one to other depending on their
preferences and projects.

Much of the conventions on the Seaside page cover issues regarding
portability. Issues that are not covered by Sport as described above.
Now those issues may not be a problem in AIDA. I don't know. I know
Seaside and AIDA will handle some things differently.

But as I said, some of the conventions will come from experiences
porting from one dialect to the other and the problems encountered. Some
you may have already experienced and some maybe you can learn from the
Seaside experience.

Outside of that, it doesn't have to be a lot conventions. Smalltalk is
meant to be simple. Its conventions don't have to be extensive.

Just some thoughts.

Again, thanks.

Jimmie