CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

Dimitry Golubovsky

Hi,

I am pleased to announce that the Android port of Stack Cog has
reached the public alpha stage, and the first pre-built apk file is
available for downloading:

http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/CogDroid-alpha-20110903.apk

This is a debug-signed Android package. When installed, it uses the
Pharo icon (to distinguish from the Squeak package in case it is
installed). In the future, I'll change the icon to something
different.

It was tested mostly with one of recent Pharo Core images, and this
kind of image is suggested for experiments, but information about any
other images is also welcome. Place the image, changes, and sources
files in a directory under the root of your tablet's SD card mount
point. When the application is launched, it will show list of all
image files available.

Information provided in the Wiki pages of the Google Code project for
the classic VM port is valid for the Cog port as well.

http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/w/list

See the CogNotes page
http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/CogNotes for information
about location of sources, and (very sketchy at the moment) building
procedure.

As usual, please send your feedback to this mailing list, or to the
Google code project issues page:

http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/issues/list

Try running the tinyBenchmark (Cog gives slightly better results than
the Classic VM). You may also try the Test Runner. Please let me know
if your favorite tests failed, and any ideas why they might fail ;)
>From my experience running tests amount of failures is not much higher
than same tests run on PC Cog/Pharo.

Have fun and share your experience ;)

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web

Re: CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

Igor Stasenko

Very nice, Dimitry!

Is it ok to merge your CMakeVMMaker package into VMMaker repository?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

stephane ducasse-2

Excellent

let us know if you need specific actions from image side.
I was discussing with igor yesterday and one of these days we will kill all the polling event code and
switch to event driven since now the vms support this.

Stef

On Sep 3, 2011, at 7:07 AM, Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am pleased to announce that the Android port of Stack Cog has
> reached the public alpha stage, and the first pre-built apk file is
> available for downloading:
>
> http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/CogDroid-alpha-20110903.apk
>
> This is a debug-signed Android package. When installed, it uses the
> Pharo icon (to distinguish from the Squeak package in case it is
> installed). In the future, I'll change the icon to something
> different.
>
> It was tested mostly with one of recent Pharo Core images, and this
> kind of image is suggested for experiments, but information about any
> other images is also welcome. Place the image, changes, and sources
> files in a directory under the root of your tablet's SD card mount
> point. When the application is launched, it will show list of all
> image files available.
>
> Information provided in the Wiki pages of the Google Code project for
> the classic VM port is valid for the Cog port as well.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/w/list
>
> See the CogNotes page
> http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/CogNotes for information
> about location of sources, and (very sketchy at the moment) building
> procedure.
>
> As usual, please send your feedback to this mailing list, or to the
> Google code project issues page:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/issues/list
>
> Try running the tinyBenchmark (Cog gives slightly better results than
> the Classic VM). You may also try the Test Runner. Please let me know
> if your favorite tests failed, and any ideas why they might fail ;)
>> From my experience running tests amount of failures is not much higher
> than same tests run on PC Cog/Pharo.
>
> Have fun and share your experience ;)
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Dimitry Golubovsky
>
> Anywhere on the Web

Re: CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

Mariano Martinez Peck

Hi Dimitry. Congratulations!!!  I really like to see all these forks of the squeak/cog VM in different platforms such as Android, iPhone, Chrome, etc...

cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

Dimitry Golubovsky

Thanks for the interest to the CogDroid alpha. Answering to all questions here.

@Gary: I'm afraid I am almost the one involved with this at the moment
;) I do not have a specific timetable, and my next step  is to create
a meaningful tool to make JNI calls to the Java libraries available on
Android, since Google discourages many things to be done natively. I
think I'll announce beta after that's ready. Regarding etoys, I think
it is possible to try the original image, or whatever is available
from the Scat project [1] (OK, that's Scratch, but IMHO similar
purpose) with the new VM. Monticello should work (or if it does not
work in any way, please let me know). In other words, the more people
help me with testing, the sooner we get a higher grade release.

Regarding older images, one thing to keep in mind is how much polling
they have [2]. Although I (remembering from prior discussions) also
made browserPluginExitIfNeeded (sp?) to exit the interpreter if it is
running too long (current time quant is 200ms although this si very
soft rule), so event serverMode may be not so necessary. The VM writes
a log file located at /sdcard/jni.log. Upon exit (via the Quit/Save
and quit item of the world menu) it writes VM time statistics in that
file: what was average time in interpreter, average time between
interpreter calls, etc. This may also give some idea.

@Igor: There are three things to merge simultanesously. My dmg-blessed
repo at Gitorious [3], and the two packages at
squeaksource.com/EventVM: CMakeVMMaker-golubovsky.138.mcz and
VMMaker-oscog-golubovsky.121.mcz Not sure how you adjust
ConfigurationOfCog for these, but I think they should go to the
bleeding edge configuration. Besides, can Google SDK and NDK be
installed on Hudson to test at least buildability? Or I might install
a build slave at my computer solely to test Android builds, but we
need to discuss this in separate thread.

@Stephane: I don't think of any actions on the image side at the
moment since it works with 1.3, and after involving the timed
executionI was able to even draw a PolygonMorph (although very slowly,
but at least the application did not crash every time, only sometimes
;)

@Mariano: Thanks.

And we have the first benchmark (will also add it to the wiki):

Notion Ink Adam, Android 2.2

1 GHz, Dual-core ARM Cortex -A9, Nvidia Tegra 250

Classic VM - Squeak 3.9 36,930,178 bytecodes/s 1,201,501 sends/s

Stack Cog - Squeak 3.9 41,775,456 bytecodes/s 2,074,373 sends/s

which seems a very good speed improvement.

-------------------------------
[1] http://code.google.com/p/scat/
[2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-August/009209.html
[3] http://gitorious.org/~golubovsky/cogvm/dmg-blessed

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web

Re: CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

garduino

2011/9/3 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Dimitry. Congratulations!!!  I really like to see all these forks of the squeak/cog VM in different platforms such as Android, iPhone, Chrome, etc...
>
> cheers

+1!

Re: CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

Stefan Krecher-2

Great to hear that squeak on android is moving forward :-)

I got stuck with the squeak-android-vm Project because i could not get
Sockets/ Networking to work:
http://code.google.com/p/squeak-android-vm/

Does networking have a priority in your port?

Anyone interested in supporting the networking-part?

Tried your port on Samsung Galaxy S I9000 with Android 2.2 but got
only a blank/ black screen. But this is no tablet, it's a cell-phone

regards,
Stefan

--
Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. Stefan Krecher
Neulander Str. 17, 27374 Visselhövede
mobil +49(0)172 3608616
http://krecher.com

Re: CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

Daniel Yokomizo

In my tablet it took quite a while to go from a bpank screen to the list of images in the Presentation folder, it may be the same with you.

Daniel Yokomizo.