CogSpur crash on OS X when resizing with Moom

bpi

CogSpur crash on OS X when resizing with Moom

bpi

Dear VM developers,

I can reliably crash the latest stable CogSpur.r3732.app using the Squeak5.1-15113.image when I resize it with Moom (http://manytricks.com/moom/) right after starting the image. I tried to reproduce it by resizing it manually without Moom. I *think* it happened occasionally when resizing manually, but I could not reproduce it today.

Versions up to r3427 do not crash. The crash happens starting with version r3602.

With the latest unstable version 201606301459 built by Travis the crash still happens.

I attach the crash dump for version r3732. Maybe it is helpful.

Thanks for all your work!

Cheers,
Bernhard

crash.dmp (7K) Download Attachment

Re: CogSpur crash on OS X when resizing with Moom

johnmci

Thanks, this appears to be a problem between the window size that Squeak thinks the screen is, versus the size that open/GL thinks the size is. I had made some changes earlier this summer to handle resizing (manually). Obviously this crash gets triggered by Moom which doesn't follow the manual resize use pattern.

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk
bpi

Re: CogSpur crash on OS X when resizing with Moom

bpi

Hi,

I just had this crash again using the latest Cog Spur VM [1] and the latest trunk image 16852 [2]. I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555) on a MacBookPro11,1.

Have other Mac users seen this type of crash?

[1] https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/download_file?file_path=cog_macos32x86_squeak.cog.spur_201611292325.tar.gz
[2] http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/Squeak6.0alpha-16852-32bit/Squeak6.0alpha-16852-32bit.zip

> Am 03.07.2016 um 21:55 schrieb John McIntosh <[hidden email]>:
>
> Thanks, this appears to be a problem between the window size that Squeak thinks the screen is, versus the size that open/GL thinks the size is. I had made some changes earlier this summer to handle resizing (manually). Obviously this crash gets triggered by Moom which doesn't follow the manual resize use pattern.
>
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear VM developers,
>
> I can reliably crash the latest stable CogSpur.r3732.app using the Squeak5.1-15113.image when I resize it with Moom (http://manytricks.com/moom/) right after starting the image. I tried to reproduce it by resizing it manually without Moom. I *think* it happened occasionally when resizing manually, but I could not reproduce it today.
>
> Versions up to r3427 do not crash. The crash happens starting with version r3602.
>
> With the latest unstable version 201606301459 built by Travis the crash still happens.
>
> I attach the crash dump for version r3732. Maybe it is helpful.
>
> Thanks for all your work!
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard

> John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

crash.dmp (9K) Download Attachment

Re: CogSpur crash on OS X when resizing with Moom

fniephaus

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 6:00 PM Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Hi,

I just had this crash again using the latest Cog Spur VM [1] and the latest trunk image 16852 [2]. I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555) on a MacBookPro11,1.

Have other Mac users seen this type of crash?

I use Magnet instead of Moom and that seems to be working just fine. However, my current default VM crashes every now and then randomly, but I need to upgrade to a later build to see if this has been fixed.

bpi

Re: CogSpur crash on OS X when resizing with Moom

bpi

Dear VM developers,

I would like to help debug this. I built my own VM (macOS Sierra 10.12.1, Xcode 8.1 (8B62)). However, even when I use the debug VM (CocoaDebug.app) I don’t get more information on the command line than in the crash.dmp.

I am a newbie when it comes to VM building and debugging. How can I help in the best way? Is there a way to debug this using Xcode?

Bernhard