CogVM arguments in Win32

1 message Options

CogVM arguments in Win32

Torsten Bergmann
1. HEADLESS

   The SqueakVM had support for this and it was usable in the past

   <quote>
     -headless

      Tells Squeak to run without a main window. However, for allowing at least some access to Squeak, an icon is added to the  system
      tray. If you double-click this icon, the Squeak window will show up again.
   </quote>

  Ask on the VM list - maybe the "headless" option could be fixed for Pharo VM to work again.

2. Shell_NotifyIcon route

    You use "apicall" pragram - so I expect you will use FFI. Note that I would not go that
    path because FFI its outdated and unsupported. Go the NativeBoost route - its much better!

    PNOTIFYICONDATA is a windows structure you would have to wrap. You could look at various
    examples in the "OS-Windows" package (loadable from config browser in Pharo 3.0) to get
    some examples of wrapped structures.

    I'm not sure if "Shell_NotifyIcon" is the right way - if I remember correctly from my
    C/C++ and SmalltalkMT times it is just used to work with the tray icons.
    These will usally have a menu (so you need callbacks) and the window is just invisible
    (receiving no events, ...) while the process is running.

    Note that you have to dive down into the darkness of Win API before you get enlightened here ;)

Bye
T.