[CogVM-blessed] -headless stopped working

[CogVM-blessed] -headless stopped working

Stefan Marr-3

Hi Esteban:

I just downloaded a Cog-Mac-Cocoa-blessed from: https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Cog-Mac-Cocoa-blessed/
It tells me, it is currently 19days old.

And it ignores the -headless parameter.

The old VM I used so far is from Jul 6th and does execute headless without problems.

I did not find the mail on the list that was naming the primitives to get more version infos out of the VMs, sorry.

The latest StackVM also got that problem, but it works with the version from July.

Is there actually something like -version on the command line to ask for the exact version infos?
I checked -help, which also offers a lot less info then it used to. It still mentions -headless, but misses the options below.

Best regards
Stefan

Missing help for commandline options:

 -breaksel selector    set breakpoint on send of selector
 -eden <size>[mk]      set eden memory to bytes
 -leakcheck num        check for leaks in the heap
 -stackpages num       use n stack pages
 -codesize <size>[mk]  set machine code memory to bytes
 -sendtrace[=num]      enable send tracing (optionally to a specific value)
 -tracestores          enable store tracing (assert check stores)
 -cogmaxlits <n>       set max number of literals for methods compiled to machine code
 -cogminjumps <n>      set min number of backward jumps for interpreted methods to be considered for compilation to machine code
 -pathenc <enc>        set encoding for pathnames (default: macintosh)

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [CogVM-blessed] -headless stopped working

EstebanLM

Hi Stefan,

do you know if it ever worked? (on cocoa builds)
because I'm looking at that code and it looks like never was there...

Cheers,
Esteban

El 30/12/2011, a las 6:06p.m., Stefan Marr escribió:

> Hi Esteban:
>
> I just downloaded a Cog-Mac-Cocoa-blessed from: https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Cog-Mac-Cocoa-blessed/
> It tells me, it is currently 19days old.
>
> And it ignores the -headless parameter.
>
> The old VM I used so far is from Jul 6th and does execute headless without problems.
>
> I did not find the mail on the list that was naming the primitives to get more version infos out of the VMs, sorry.
>
> The latest StackVM also got that problem, but it works with the version from July.
>

> Is there actually something like -version on the command line to ask for the exact version infos?
> I checked -help, which also offers a lot less info then it used to. It still mentions -headless, but misses the options below.
>
> Best regards
> Stefan
>

> Missing help for commandline options:
>
> -breaksel selector    set breakpoint on send of selector
> -eden <size>[mk]      set eden memory to bytes
> -leakcheck num        check for leaks in the heap
> -stackpages num       use n stack pages
> -codesize <size>[mk]  set machine code memory to bytes
> -sendtrace[=num]      enable send tracing (optionally to a specific value)
> -tracestores          enable store tracing (assert check stores)
> -cogmaxlits <n>       set max number of literals for methods compiled to machine code
> -cogminjumps <n>      set min number of backward jumps for interpreted methods to be considered for compilation to machine code
> -pathenc <enc>        set encoding for pathnames (default: macintosh)
>
> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 2974
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [CogVM-blessed] -headless stopped working

Stefan Marr-3

Hi Esteban:

How do I know which whether it is Cocoa or Carbon?

The VM that works gives me the following infos:

Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1004
                'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog-IgorStasenko.92] CogVM VM 4.0.0'

Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1007
                'CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog-IgorStasenko.92 uuid: 9823f129-7da4-4aee-967f-2bce7feb6770 Jul  5 2011'

Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1008
                'StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-oscog-IgorStasenko.92 uuid: 9823f129-7da4-4aee-967f-2bce7feb6770 Jul  5 2011'

Best regards
Stefan

Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [CogVM-blessed] -headless stopped working

Stefan Marr-3

Ok, just saw that it said Carbon in the Mac menu.

I just checked version 5.7.4.1 of the VM. Which, I think, but am not completely sure, should be Cocoa.
And here I only see that the argument handling is completely broken.

I think, that was something you already fixed a while ago.
5.7.4.1 does not accept the image parameter if I give the -headless option, instead it opens a file dialog.

So, maybe it never supported -headless.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 2974
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [CogVM-blessed] -headless stopped working

johnmci

Yes never supported headless, general lack of interest by the
community to have that on os-x via the cocoa vm.

However on my near term todo list is having to add that feature, I'll
say more in a few weeks once I deal with the refactoring of the
drawing surface.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, just saw that it said Carbon in the Mac menu.
>

> I just checked version 5.7.4.1 of the VM. Which, I think, but am not completely sure, should be Cocoa.
> And here I only see that the argument handling is completely broken.
>
> I think, that was something you already fixed a while ago.
> 5.7.4.1 does not accept the image parameter if I give the -headless option, instead it opens a file dialog.
>
> So, maybe it never supported -headless.
>
> Best regards
> Stefan
>

> On 04 Jan 2012, at 00:11, Stefan Marr wrote:
>

>> Hi Esteban:
>>
>> How do I know which whether it is Cocoa or Carbon?
>>
>> The VM that works gives me the following infos:
>>
>> Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1004
>>               'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog-IgorStasenko.92] CogVM VM 4.0.0'
>>
>> Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1007
>>               'CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog-IgorStasenko.92 uuid: 9823f129-7da4-4aee-967f-2bce7feb6770 Jul  5 2011'
>>
>> Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1008
>>               'StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-oscog-IgorStasenko.92 uuid: 9823f129-7da4-4aee-967f-2bce7feb6770 Jul  5 2011'
>>

>> Best regards
>> Stefan
>>

>> On 02 Jan 2012, at 16:29, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Stefan,
>>>
>>> do you know if it ever worked? (on cocoa builds)
>>> because I'm looking at that code and it looks like never was there...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Esteban

>> --
>> Stefan Marr
>> Software Languages Lab
>> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
>> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
>> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
>> Phone: +32 2 629 2974
>> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525
>>

> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 2974
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: [CogVM-blessed] -headless stopped working

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
John M McIntosh wrote
Yes never supported headless, general lack of interest by the
community to have that on os-x via the cocoa vm.

However on my near term todo list is having to add that feature, I'll
say more in a few weeks once I deal with the refactoring of the
drawing surface.
Hey John, any progress on os-x headless? It's not super important, but I'm running my own Jenkins server now, and:
    $ /path/to/CogVM -headless "/path/to/file.image" -headless
launches an image that appears in a window in the background, but does not accept input. If I Cmd-., it quits because it's non-interactive and a debugger comes up.

Like I said, not a big deal because it's in the background, but just wondering...

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean