CogVM

Lukas Renggli
Some people asked me how I got Pharo to run on Cog on OS X. Here's how:

1. Download the Cog source-code from
<http://ftp.squeak.org/Cog/OpenSourceCog.tar.gz>, open the Xcode
project CoreVM.xcodeproj, and compile the thing. For those who want to
skip this step I've put the resulting binaries here:
<http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/dropbox/cog-osx.zip>.

2. Open a (copy of a) Pharo image in an **old** VM and file-in the
appropriate change-set (there is one for Pharo 1.0 and one for Pharo
1.1) from the following issue report:
<http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2579>. Save the image
and quit.

3. Open the image in the Cog VM. Note that if you safe the image, you
won't be able to open it again in a non-Cog VM.

Hopefully John will provide a properly built binary soon :-)

Don't try Seaside, it won't work. Cog does not (yet) support the stack
manipulation tricks yet.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: CogVM

SergeStinckwich
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some people asked me how I got Pharo to run on Cog on OS X. Here's how:
>
> 1. Download the Cog source-code from
> <http://ftp.squeak.org/Cog/OpenSourceCog.tar.gz>, open the Xcode
> project CoreVM.xcodeproj, and compile the thing. For those who want to
> skip this step I've put the resulting binaries here:
> <http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/dropbox/cog-osx.zip>.
>
> 2. Open a (copy of a) Pharo image in an **old** VM and file-in the
> appropriate change-set (there is one for Pharo 1.0 and one for Pharo
> 1.1) from the following issue report:
> <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2579>. Save the image
> and quit.
>
> 3. Open the image in the Cog VM. Note that if you safe the image, you
> won't be able to open it again in a non-Cog VM.
>
> Hopefully John will provide a properly built binary soon :-)

Thank you Lukas !

Quite impressive in some of my highly CPU-intensive robot simulations !!!
Strange that the VM Cog icon is Croquet ;-)

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: CogVM

jannik laval
Hi all,

I just try the new Cog VM,
I have a bug with MessageTally.

You can reproduce it with:
"MessageTally spyOn:[1]"

It does not understand "-".
Could someone reproduce it and have an idea to fix it ?

Cheers,
Jannik

On Jun 21, 2010, at 18:04 , Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Some people asked me how I got Pharo to run on Cog on OS X. Here's how:
>>
>> 1. Download the Cog source-code from
>> <http://ftp.squeak.org/Cog/OpenSourceCog.tar.gz>, open the Xcode
>> project CoreVM.xcodeproj, and compile the thing. For those who want to
>> skip this step I've put the resulting binaries here:
>> <http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/dropbox/cog-osx.zip>.
>>
>> 2. Open a (copy of a) Pharo image in an **old** VM and file-in the
>> appropriate change-set (there is one for Pharo 1.0 and one for Pharo
>> 1.1) from the following issue report:
>> <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2579>. Save the image
>> and quit.
>>
>> 3. Open the image in the Cog VM. Note that if you safe the image, you
>> won't be able to open it again in a non-Cog VM.
>>
>> Hopefully John will provide a properly built binary soon :-)
>
> Thank you Lukas !
>
> Quite impressive in some of my highly CPU-intensive robot simulations !!!
> Strange that the VM Cog icon is Croquet ;-)
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

---
Jannik Laval

Re: CogVM

Nicolas Cellier
Not sure.
You may have to replay some VMMaker changes newer than Eliot base...
See Levente recent message
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151471.html

Nicolas

2010/6/21 Laval Jannik <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I just try the new Cog VM,
> I have a bug with MessageTally.
>
> You can reproduce it with:
> "MessageTally spyOn:[1]"
>
> It does not understand "-".
> Could someone reproduce it and have an idea to fix it ?
>
> Cheers,
> Jannik
>
> On Jun 21, 2010, at 18:04 , Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Some people asked me how I got Pharo to run on Cog on OS X. Here's how:
>>>
>>> 1. Download the Cog source-code from
>>> <http://ftp.squeak.org/Cog/OpenSourceCog.tar.gz>, open the Xcode
>>> project CoreVM.xcodeproj, and compile the thing. For those who want to
>>> skip this step I've put the resulting binaries here:
>>> <http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/dropbox/cog-osx.zip>.
>>>
>>> 2. Open a (copy of a) Pharo image in an **old** VM and file-in the
>>> appropriate change-set (there is one for Pharo 1.0 and one for Pharo
>>> 1.1) from the following issue report:
>>> <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2579>. Save the image
>>> and quit.
>>>
>>> 3. Open the image in the Cog VM. Note that if you safe the image, you
>>> won't be able to open it again in a non-Cog VM.
>>>
>>> Hopefully John will provide a properly built binary soon :-)
>>
>> Thank you Lukas !
>>
>> Quite impressive in some of my highly CPU-intensive robot simulations !!!
>> Strange that the VM Cog icon is Croquet ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

> ---
> Jannik Laval

Re: CogVM

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, Laval Jannik wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just try the new Cog VM,
> I have a bug with MessageTally.
>
> You can reproduce it with:
> "MessageTally spyOn:[1]"
>
> It does not understand "-".
> Could someone reproduce it and have an idea to fix it ?

It's easy to fix it, just replace code like this:

SmalltalkImage current getVMParameters keysAndValuesDo: [ :idx :gcVal |
  gcStats at: idx put: (gcVal - (gcStats at: idx))].

with this:

Smalltalk getVMParameters keysAndValuesDo: [ :idx :gcVal |
  gcVal ifNotNil: [ gcStats at: idx put: (gcVal - (gcStats at: idx)) ] ].

in MessageTally's #spyAllEvery:on:, #spyEvery:on: and
#spyEvery:onProcess:forMilliseconds: (I think these are the same in Pharo
and Squeak. If not, then just look at the senders of #getVMParameters).

Levente

> Cheers,
> Jannik
>
> On Jun 21, 2010, at 18:04 , Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Some people asked me how I got Pharo to run on Cog on OS X. Here's how:
>>>
>>> 1. Download the Cog source-code from
>>> <http://ftp.squeak.org/Cog/OpenSourceCog.tar.gz>, open the Xcode
>>> project CoreVM.xcodeproj, and compile the thing. For those who want to
>>> skip this step I've put the resulting binaries here:
>>> <http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/dropbox/cog-osx.zip>.
>>>
>>> 2. Open a (copy of a) Pharo image in an **old** VM and file-in the
>>> appropriate change-set (there is one for Pharo 1.0 and one for Pharo
>>> 1.1) from the following issue report:
>>> <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2579>. Save the image
>>> and quit.
>>>
>>> 3. Open the image in the Cog VM. Note that if you safe the image, you
>>> won't be able to open it again in a non-Cog VM.
>>>
>>> Hopefully John will provide a properly built binary soon :-)
>>
>> Thank you Lukas !
>>
>> Quite impressive in some of my highly CPU-intensive robot simulations !!!
>> Strange that the VM Cog icon is Croquet ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

> ---
> Jannik Laval

Re: CogVM

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks levente

On Jun 22, 2010, at 12:42 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, Laval Jannik wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just try the new Cog VM,
>> I have a bug with MessageTally.
>>
>> You can reproduce it with:
>> "MessageTally spyOn:[1]"
>>
>> It does not understand "-".
>> Could someone reproduce it and have an idea to fix it ?
>
> It's easy to fix it, just replace code like this:
>
> SmalltalkImage current getVMParameters keysAndValuesDo: [ :idx :gcVal |
> gcStats at: idx put: (gcVal - (gcStats at: idx))].
>
> with this:
>
> Smalltalk getVMParameters keysAndValuesDo: [ :idx :gcVal |
> gcVal ifNotNil: [ gcStats at: idx put: (gcVal - (gcStats at: idx)) ] ].
>
> in MessageTally's #spyAllEvery:on:, #spyEvery:on: and #spyEvery:onProcess:forMilliseconds: (I think these are the same in Pharo and Squeak. If not, then just look at the senders of #getVMParameters).
>

> Levente
>

>> Cheers,
>> Jannik

>>> Thank you Lukas !
>>>
>>> Quite impressive in some of my highly CPU-intensive robot simulations !!!
>>> Strange that the VM Cog icon is Croquet ;-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

Re: CogVM

jannik laval
Thanks Levente,

Now, I continue to try Cog, and I have different bugs:
- graphical bug: someties, when I move a window, text disappears during the move. (I put a screenshot in attachement)
- Metacello/Monticello bug: I cannot reproduce it easily. When I load my metacello Script (ConfigurationOfO2 and ConfigurationOfMoose for example), sometimes the VM crash.

For information, I use the latest Pharo core (12011) with the cog changes integrated.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Jun 22, 2010, at 08:49 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks levente

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 12:42 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, Laval Jannik wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just try the new Cog VM,
>>> I have a bug with MessageTally.
>>>
>>> You can reproduce it with:
>>> "MessageTally spyOn:[1]"
>>>
>>> It does not understand "-".
>>> Could someone reproduce it and have an idea to fix it ?
>>
>> It's easy to fix it, just replace code like this:
>>
>> SmalltalkImage current getVMParameters keysAndValuesDo: [ :idx :gcVal |
>> gcStats at: idx put: (gcVal - (gcStats at: idx))].
>>
>> with this:
>>
>> Smalltalk getVMParameters keysAndValuesDo: [ :idx :gcVal |
>> gcVal ifNotNil: [ gcStats at: idx put: (gcVal - (gcStats at: idx)) ] ].
>>
>> in MessageTally's #spyAllEvery:on:, #spyEvery:on: and #spyEvery:onProcess:forMilliseconds: (I think these are the same in Pharo and Squeak. If not, then just look at the senders of #getVMParameters).
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Jannik

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

---
Jannik Laval

11.jpeg (20K) Download Attachment

Re: CogVM

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/6/22 Laval Jannik <[hidden email]>
Thanks Levente,

Now, I continue to try Cog, and I have different bugs:
- graphical bug: someties, when I move a window, text disappears during the move. (I put a screenshot in attachement)

maybe this is the Juan fix for fonts that is not included in Cog ?
try using FreeType plugin.

---
Jannik Laval