CollabActive book :)

12

CollabActive book :)

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Pharoers

We put in place (big big thanks doru, anton, lukas and gemstone for that) a pier book
        http://book.pharo-project.org/

The idea is that we can collect/edit.... information about pharo on this collaborative book.
Now we would like that **you**/**us** control the quality of the contents.  The book will be open:
**you**= anybody from the pharo community can be editor (you should ask probably doru because I have to
really make sure that I do not mess it up) but not everybody can change text, everybody will be able to add notes
following the http://book.seaside.st principle.
As an editor you can register to the rss stream and includes the comments.

Now the idea is that after a while the ready to get publish parts may be used for Pharo by example 2 since we
can generate automatically latex from the web.

Now I would love to have chapter on
        - how to compile my vm on Mac OSX
        - how to compile my vm on linux
        - how to compile my vm on Windows
        - Understanding Announcement
        - Settings
        - Building UI with Polymorph....
        - Help
        - ...

So if you want to be an editor you are more than welcome!
Just ask

Re: CollabActive book :)

laurent laffont
So if you want to be an editor you are more than welcome!
Just ask

I ask :)

Laurent Laffont.

Re: CollabActive book :)

Stéphane Ducasse
I tried to find how to add a new user but I failed. I will ask doru ;(

Stef

On Apr 3, 2010, at 2:38 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> So if you want to be an editor you are more than welcome!
> Just ask
>
> I ask :)
>
> Laurent Laffont.
>

> Stef

Re: CollabActive book :)

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I created the user with editor rights. I will send the password
separately.

For admins, here is how you create new users:
1. Go to: http://book.pharo-project.org/system/management/
2. In the Users section add the user you want (the first input box)
3. In the dialog, make sure you add the groups you want to the user.
Right now there are 2 groups: admin and editor. The editor is allowed
to work on the content, the admin has additional rights in the system
area.

Cheers,
Doru

On 3 Apr 2010, at 16:49, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I tried to find how to add a new user but I failed. I will ask doru ;(
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 3, 2010, at 2:38 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> So if you want to be an editor you are more than welcome!
>> Just ask
>>
>> I ask :)
>>
>> Laurent Laffont.
>>

>> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that
happen. They both matter."

Re: CollabActive book :)

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi doru

I looked for the rss feed but I could not find. May be I missed the obvious?

Re: CollabActive book :)

Tudor Girba
Hi,

You can subscribe to the Diffs RSS here:
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/?view=PBDiffRssView

I also added it in the header.

Cheers,
Doru

On 4 Apr 2010, at 21:17, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi doru
>
> I looked for the rss feed but I could not find. May be I missed the
> obvious?
>
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

Re: CollabActive book :)

SergeStinckwich
Great idea !
But what will be the relationship between this book and "Pharo by
Example" ? Not the same material ?
Regards,

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pharoers
>
> We put in place (big big thanks doru, anton, lukas and gemstone for that) a pier book
>        http://book.pharo-project.org/
>
> The idea is that we can collect/edit.... information about pharo on this collaborative book.
> Now we would like that **you**/**us** control the quality of the contents.  The book will be open:
> **you**= anybody from the pharo community can be editor (you should ask probably doru because I have to
> really make sure that I do not mess it up) but not everybody can change text, everybody will be able to add notes
> following the http://book.seaside.st principle.
> As an editor you can register to the rss stream and includes the comments.
>
> Now the idea is that after a while the ready to get publish parts may be used for Pharo by example 2 since we
> can generate automatically latex from the web.
>
> Now I would love to have chapter on
>        - how to compile my vm on Mac OSX
>        - how to compile my vm on linux
>        - how to compile my vm on Windows
>        - Understanding Announcement
>        - Settings
>        - Building UI with Polymorph....
>        - Help
>        - ...
>
> So if you want to be an editor you are more than welcome!
> Just ask
>
> Stef

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: CollabActive book :)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Maybe this is the basis for PBE2. As then you can export that directly to latex.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Pharoers
>
> We put in place (big big thanks doru, anton, lukas and gemstone for that) a pier book
>        http://book.pharo-project.org/
>
> The idea is that we can collect/edit.... information about pharo on this collaborative book.
> Now we would like that **you**/**us** control the quality of the contents.  The book will be open:
> **you**= anybody from the pharo community can be editor (you should ask probably doru because I have to
> really make sure that I do not mess it up) but not everybody can change text, everybody will be able to add notes
> following the http://book.seaside.st principle.
> As an editor you can register to the rss stream and includes the comments.
>
> Now the idea is that after a while the ready to get publish parts may be used for Pharo by example 2 since we
> can generate automatically latex from the web.
>
> Now I would love to have chapter on
>        - how to compile my vm on Mac OSX
>        - how to compile my vm on linux
>        - how to compile my vm on Windows
>        - Understanding Announcement
>        - Settings
>        - Building UI with Polymorph....
>        - Help
>        - ...
>
> So if you want to be an editor you are more than welcome!
> Just ask
>
> Stef

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: CollabActive book :)

serge

for now there is relationship with PBE (I do not have the time to convert it in web support).
The idea is how I write it: make sure that there is a place for people to consolidate and wrtie knowledge/documentation
tutorial about pharo. After we will probably see how to trun them into chapters for PBE2.

Stef

On Apr 5, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Great idea !
> But what will be the relationship between this book and "Pharo by
> Example" ? Not the same material ?
> Regards,
>
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Pharoers
>>
>> We put in place (big big thanks doru, anton, lukas and gemstone for that) a pier book
>>        http://book.pharo-project.org/
>>
>> The idea is that we can collect/edit.... information about pharo on this collaborative book.
>> Now we would like that **you**/**us** control the quality of the contents.  The book will be open:
>> **you**= anybody from the pharo community can be editor (you should ask probably doru because I have to
>> really make sure that I do not mess it up) but not everybody can change text, everybody will be able to add notes
>> following the http://book.seaside.st principle.
>> As an editor you can register to the rss stream and includes the comments.
>>
>> Now the idea is that after a while the ready to get publish parts may be used for Pharo by example 2 since we
>> can generate automatically latex from the web.
>>
>> Now I would love to have chapter on
>>        - how to compile my vm on Mac OSX
>>        - how to compile my vm on linux
>>        - how to compile my vm on Windows
>>        - Understanding Announcement
>>        - Settings
>>        - Building UI with Polymorph....
>>        - Help
>>        - ...
>>
>> So if you want to be an editor you are more than welcome!
>> Just ask
>>
>> Stef

> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: CollabActive book :)

Michael Roberts-2
Hi,

is there some brief documentation for how to use the book engine? I am
not a pier expert, i just get the basic ideas.  I tried to add some
new pages/sections using the add command, but it kept on logging me
out to the front page.  I could not work out whether these actions had
any side-effect or not.  If there are no docs, perhaps someone
knowledgeable could just add a page, showing how to add a page...

thanks,
Mike

Re: CollabActive book :)

Tudor Girba
Hi Mike,

I am not sure I understand what the problem is.

Try this:
# go to a page: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/introduction
# invoke Add
# enter a name (e.g., "somepage") and select Book Portion
# press add

This should create a new section in the introduction. Please let me
know if it works for you.

Cheers,
Doru

On 6 Apr 2010, at 23:24, Michael Roberts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there some brief documentation for how to use the book engine? I am
> not a pier expert, i just get the basic ideas.  I tried to add some
> new pages/sections using the add command, but it kept on logging me
> out to the front page.  I could not work out whether these actions had
> any side-effect or not.  If there are no docs, perhaps someone
> knowledgeable could just add a page, showing how to add a page...
>
> thanks,
> Mike

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: CollabActive book :)

Simon Denier-3

Also what is missing is the handy toolbar which provides buttons to decorate the text with Pier syntax. Useful when you are not a pro of the syntax. But I don't know how to install this widget.

On 6 avr. 2010, at 23:41, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I am not sure I understand what the problem is.
>
> Try this:
> # go to a page: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/introduction
> # invoke Add
> # enter a name (e.g., "somepage") and select Book Portion
> # press add
>
> This should create a new section in the introduction. Please let me know if it works for you.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 6 Apr 2010, at 23:24, Michael Roberts wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there some brief documentation for how to use the book engine? I am
>> not a pier expert, i just get the basic ideas.  I tried to add some
>> new pages/sections using the add command, but it kept on logging me
>> out to the front page.  I could not work out whether these actions had
>> any side-effect or not.  If there are no docs, perhaps someone
>> knowledgeable could just add a page, showing how to add a page...
>>
>> thanks,
>> Mike

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow."

 Simon

Re: CollabActive book :)

Tudor Girba
Thanks for pointing this out. Indeed something seems to be wrong in
the configuration. I will have to look into this.

I see that you worked on: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Announcements

A couple of notes:
- urls should be lowercase
- you should create book parts for each of the subsections because
like this the table of contents works better, you can reference them
afterwards an the latex generator will produce the right outcome

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Apr 2010, at 01:14, Simon Denier wrote:

> Also what is missing is the handy toolbar which provides buttons to
> decorate the text with Pier syntax. Useful when you are not a pro of
> the syntax. But I don't know how to install this widget.
>

> On 6 avr. 2010, at 23:41, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> I am not sure I understand what the problem is.
>>
>> Try this:
>> # go to a page: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/introduction
>> # invoke Add
>> # enter a name (e.g., "somepage") and select Book Portion
>> # press add
>>
>> This should create a new section in the introduction. Please let me
>> know if it works for you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> On 6 Apr 2010, at 23:24, Michael Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> is there some brief documentation for how to use the book engine?
>>> I am
>>> not a pier expert, i just get the basic ideas.  I tried to add some
>>> new pages/sections using the add command, but it kept on logging me
>>> out to the front page.  I could not work out whether these actions
>>> had
>>> any side-effect or not.  If there are no docs, perhaps someone
>>> knowledgeable could just add a page, showing how to add a page...
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Mike

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: CollabActive book :)

Simon Denier-3

On 7 avr. 2010, at 01:18, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks for pointing this out. Indeed something seems to be wrong in the configuration. I will have to look into this.
>
> I see that you worked on: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Announcements
>
> A couple of notes:
> - urls should be lowercase
> - you should create book parts for each of the subsections because like this the table of contents works better, you can reference them afterwards an the latex generator will produce the right outcome

I see what you mean, but I don't like the way it is displayed, because it makes navigating from section to section cumbersome and just skimming a chapter to get an overview is difficult.

Maybe I can add a +value:children+ or +value:contents+ to display the content of the chapter?

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 7 Apr 2010, at 01:14, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> Also what is missing is the handy toolbar which provides buttons to decorate the text with Pier syntax. Useful when you are not a pro of the syntax. But I don't know how to install this widget.
>>

>> On 6 avr. 2010, at 23:41, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> I am not sure I understand what the problem is.
>>>
>>> Try this:
>>> # go to a page: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/introduction
>>> # invoke Add
>>> # enter a name (e.g., "somepage") and select Book Portion
>>> # press add
>>>
>>> This should create a new section in the introduction. Please let me know if it works for you.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Every thing has its own flow."

>> --
>> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Don't give to get. Just give."

 Simon

Re: CollabActive book :)

Lukas Renggli
> I see what you mean, but I don't like the way it is displayed, because it makes navigating from section to section cumbersome and just skimming a chapter to get an overview is difficult.

While writing/editing the Seaside book we figured out the following
simple guidelines that worked out quite well:

     http://book.seaside.st/system/howto

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: CollabActive book :)

Tudor Girba

The toolbar is now available.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Apr 2010, at 01:14, Simon Denier wrote:

> Also what is missing is the handy toolbar which provides buttons to
> decorate the text with Pier syntax. Useful when you are not a pro of
> the syntax. But I don't know how to install this widget.

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: CollabActive book :)

Simon Denier-3

On 7 avr. 2010, at 09:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I see what you mean, but I don't like the way it is displayed, because it makes navigating from section to section cumbersome and just skimming a chapter to get an overview is difficult.
>
> While writing/editing the Seaside book we figured out the following
> simple guidelines that worked out quite well:
>
>     http://book.seaside.st/system/howto

Thanks! That's helpful.

Adding +value:book.contents+ to create a mini-toc for the chapter works ok, although perhaps this should go in the column.

Doru, another missing thing in the current config is the == syntax for Smalltalk highlighting
See http://book.pharo-project.org/book/announcements/client

--
 Simon

Re: CollabActive book :)

Tudor Girba
Hi Simon,

On 7 Apr 2010, at 10:36, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 7 avr. 2010, at 09:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> I see what you mean, but I don't like the way it is displayed,
>>> because it makes navigating from section to section cumbersome and
>>> just skimming a chapter to get an overview is difficult.
>>
>> While writing/editing the Seaside book we figured out the following
>> simple guidelines that worked out quite well:
>>
>>    http://book.seaside.st/system/howto
>

> Thanks! That's helpful.
>
> Adding +value:book.contents+ to create a mini-toc for the chapter
> works ok, although perhaps this should go in the column.

Please do not use that there. It will make everything complex
afterwards. You can always use the key navigations to switch between
pages:
- "j" or left arrow: previous book part
- "k" or right arrow: next book part
- "i": table of contents
- "p": parent book part

> Doru, another missing thing in the current config is the == syntax
> for Smalltalk highlighting
> See http://book.pharo-project.org/book/announcements/client

Ahh, my bad again. I will look into it.

Cheers,
Doru

> --
> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: CollabActive book :)

Simon Denier-3

On 7 avr. 2010, at 10:52, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Simon,

>>> While writing/editing the Seaside book we figured out the following
>>> simple guidelines that worked out quite well:
>>>
>>>   http://book.seaside.st/system/howto
>>

>> Thanks! That's helpful.
>>
>> Adding +value:book.contents+ to create a mini-toc for the chapter works ok, although perhaps this should go in the column.
>
> Please do not use that there. It will make everything complex afterwards. You can always use the key navigations to switch between pages:

Why exactly?

I still would like such stuff at the chapter level.

On 7 Apr 2010, at 10:59, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 7 avr. 2010, at 10:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon,

>>> Thanks! That's helpful.
>>>
>>> Adding +value:book.contents+ to create a mini-toc for the chapter
>>> works ok, although perhaps this should go in the column.
>>
>> Please do not use that there. It will make everything complex
>> afterwards. You can always use the key navigations to switch
>> between pages:
>
> Why exactly?

Because you are mixing implementation with content.

> I still would like such stuff at the chapter level.

I never felt the need for this, but it is doable. It is just that this
won't come too fast.

>> - "j" or left arrow: previous book part
>> - "k" or right arrow: next book part
>> - "i": table of contents
>> - "p": parent book part
>>
>>> Doru, another missing thing in the current config is the == syntax
>>> for Smalltalk highlighting
>>> See http://book.pharo-project.org/book/announcements/client
>>
>> Ahh, my bad again. I will look into it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
  Tomorrow is a possibility.