Collation sequence for Chinese

Terry Raymond

Does Cincom have any plans to add the CLDR collation for Chinese?

Terry

Terry Raymond

Crafted Smalltalk

80 Lazywood Ln.

Tiverton, RI  02878

(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]

Re: Collation sequence for Chinese

Kooyman, Les
Thought I had sent this but no trace of it in my sent folder, so here goes again:

We have plans to support per-locale collation, which would include Chinese.

That said, I need to indicate that adding per-locale collation is a nontrivial exercise in a few high profile cases: certainly German, with its alternate phone book sort, and others. While there are algorithms to sort both Roman and non-Roman expressions of Chinese, it is difficult to say at the moment how soon we would have full support for that.

What would you use it for if you had it? Would you be concerned with Roman and/or non-Roman collations of Chinese? Is your interest in simplified Chinese as favored in mainland China, or as used in Taiwan, or both?

Les Kooyman
Cincom Smalltalk Engineering

Re: Collation sequence for Chinese

Richard Sargent (again)