Color>>faded

Chris Uppal-3
Does anyone else find that Color>>faded doesn't fade the colours *enough* ?

On my (laptop) machine there is not much difference between a faded method
name and a normal one -- certainly not enough to provide useful instant
feedback.

Changing Color>>faded to read:

-------
faded
    "Answer a new color which is a faded copy of the receiver"

    | rgb |
    rgb := self asRGB.
    ^Color
            red: 255 - ((255 - rgb red) // 4)
            green: 255 - ((255 - rgb green) // 4)
            blue: 255 - ((255 - rgb blue) // 4)
-------

results in much clearer feedback.  It also has the effect that:

    Color black faded asRGB = Color gray asRBG.

BTW, the formulation I've used above allows easier tweaking of the degree of
fade than the original version did.

    -- chris

Re: Color>>faded

Andy Bower
Chris,

We're happy to change this according to the general consensus but
personally, on my LCD monitor, I find 1/4 fade results in very faint text
which is getting hard to read. Any comments from others. I'm happy to employ
your more readable method style in any case.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

news:[hidden email]...
?

> On my (laptop) machine there is not much difference between a faded method
> name and a normal one -- certainly not enough to provide useful instant
> feedback.
>
> Changing Color>>faded to read:
>
> -------
> faded
>     "Answer a new color which is a faded copy of the receiver"
>
>     | rgb |
>     rgb := self asRGB.
>     ^Color
>             red: 255 - ((255 - rgb red) // 4)
>             green: 255 - ((255 - rgb green) // 4)
>             blue: 255 - ((255 - rgb blue) // 4)
> -------
>
> results in much clearer feedback.  It also has the effect that:
>
>     Color black faded asRGB = Color gray asRBG.
>
> BTW, the formulation I've used above allows easier tweaking of the degree
of
> fade than the original version did.

Re: Color>>faded

Andy Bower
Chris,

Recorded as #668

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: Color>>faded

Ted Bracht-2
Chris/Andy

"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Chris,
>
> We're happy to change this according to the general consensus but
> personally, on my LCD monitor, I find 1/4 fade results in very faint text
> which is getting hard to read. Any comments from others. I'm happy to
employ
> your more readable method style in any case.

I agree with both of you. I agree with Chris that the grey is too close to
the black, but I also agree with Andy that 'foreign' methods become hardly
detectible with the setting like Chris suggests. Somewhere in between?

Ted

Re: Color>>faded

Chris Uppal-3
Andy,

> We're happy to change this according to the general consensus but
> personally, on my LCD monitor, I find 1/4 fade results in very faint text
> which is getting hard to read.

Are you sure you've given yourself long enough to get used to it ?  ;-)

I imagine it mostly depends on the monitor.  On mine, a fade factor of 4
(i.e. using Color gray for the method names) results in text which would
*not* be suitable for extended reading, but which *is* adequate for reading
the names without difficulty.  But only just without difficulty -- which is
the point, since the important thing is the contrast between the normal text
and the faded.  With a fade factor of 2 (as shipped with D5) the contrast is
not enough that I feel confident that I can see which methods are faded even
if they are visible at the same time, and have no chance of telling when
either all, or none, of the methods are faded.

I tried setting the fade factor to 3 (I've made the obvious refactoring of
#fade into #fade and #fadeBy:) which gives just about enough contrast on my
machine.  Is that more reasonable for you ?

How does that look for other people and other monitors (remembering that the
contrast between the faded and non-faded text is more important than
absolutely optimal readability of the faded text) ?

> Andy Bower

    -- chris

P.S.  I've attached a little package with the refactored Color>>faded[By:].

begin 666 CUX Color-faded.pac
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.97-O=7)C97,B(0T*#0H`
`
end