*ColorDict* methods

Phil B
I was browsing around the source and noticed that there are a couple
dozen or so class methods on Color named *ColorDict* that were created
by Ken in 2013 that don't appear to be used anywhere so I browsed the
list archives from back then and saw a discussion about including his
color work so I'm guessing that this is just a piece of that.  Just
curious if there was a reason these are in core rather than an optional
core package?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: *ColorDict* methods

KenDickey
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 21:14:26 -0400
"Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was browsing around the source and noticed that there are a couple
> dozen or so class methods on Color named *ColorDict*

I don't see these in vanilla 2367.

Sure you didn't load one of the named color packages?  Perhaps something that uses named colors?

  https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-NamedColors
    Feature require: 'XKCD-NamedColors'.
    Feature require: 'NBSISCC-NamedColors'.
    Feature require: 'CSS2-NamedColors'.
    Feature require: 'CSS3-NamedColors'.
perhaps:
  https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-ColorEditor

The Installed Packages window sees all, tells all.  ;^)

--
-KenD

-KenD

Re: *ColorDict* methods

Phil B
On Thu, 2015-06-18 at 19:40 -0600, Ken.Dickey wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 21:14:26 -0400
> "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I was browsing around the source and noticed that there are a couple
> > dozen or so class methods on Color named *ColorDict*
>
> I don't see these in vanilla 2367.
>
> Sure you didn't load one of the named color packages?  Perhaps something that uses named colors?

I was using 2358 but updated to 2367 just to be sure.  With just the
base image (no packages loaded) they're still there: #blueColorDict,
#blueColorDict:... (class side)

>   https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-NamedColors
>     Feature require: 'XKCD-NamedColors'.
>     Feature require: 'NBSISCC-NamedColors'.
>     Feature require: 'CSS2-NamedColors'.
>     Feature require: 'CSS3-NamedColors'.
> perhaps:
>   https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-ColorEditor
>
> The Installed Packages window sees all, tells all.  ;^)

Re: *ColorDict* methods

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

Phil talks about stuff like #blueColorDict . Nice to have, but hardly
essential.

(Smalltalk allClasses collect: [ :cls | { cls linesOfCode. cls }
])sorted: [ :a :b | a first > b first ]

shows that Color is the second largest class in Cuis. Any class with
more than, lets say, 1000 lines of code should be candidate for
reduction, cleanup, etc.

I guess we'd build a new package for these nice but optional Color
messages...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich