ColorEditor progress

KenDickey
I have to clean the code and tweak things, but there is enough progress to share it with you.

The smaller color swatch is the closest CSS3 color and name (need to add its RGB value).

Obviously the package now requires CSS3-NamedColors.pck.st

Again,
  select a Morph
  open its menu and select "Show my Drop Target"
  click on the focus ring in the ColorPane
  drop on the DropTargetMorph

Enjoy!
-KenD

ColorEditor.png (143K) Download Attachment
-KenD

Re: ColorEditor progress

nacho
Nice!
It will allow us to change the desktop background?
thanks
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: ColorEditor progress

garduino
Nope, it's a color picker.

To change the background check the PasteUpMorph >>backgroundImageData: method.

2013/12/7 nacho <[hidden email]>
Nice!
It will allow us to change the desktop background?
thanks
Nacho

-----
Nacho
Smalltalker apprentice.
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: ColorEditor progress

KenDickey
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 05:33:57 -0800 (PST)
nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It will allow us to change the desktop background?
> thanks

You can change the Color of the background.

Just control-click to select the PasteUpMorph,
  select "Show my Drop Target" from the menu,
  move the DropTargetMorph aside a bit to expose the ColorEditorWindow
  click on the focus color and drag to the drop target
and ... new desktop color!

-KenD

-KenD

Re: ColorEditor progress

garduino
upss, sorry Nacho, I misunderstood your question, as how to change the jpg background....Thanks Ken.

nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It will allow us to change the desktop background?
> thanks

You can change the Color of the background.

Just control-click to select the PasteUpMorph,
  select "Show my Drop Target" from the menu,
  move the DropTargetMorph aside a bit to expose the ColorEditorWindow
  click on the focus color and drag to the drop target
and ... new desktop color!

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: ColorEditor progress

KenDickey
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:40:52 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> upss, sorry Nacho, I misunderstood your question, as how to change the jpg
> background....Thanks Ken.

It is good to know how to change the background picture.

Somebody (who me?) should add a menu item to the PasteUpMorph when we get a chance.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: ColorEditor progress

garduino
Yes, good idea.

A (may be stupid) question.....why the world in cuis is shown as "world" name and I can't use the World as is documented?

Of course, I can iterate in the instances of PasteUpMorph and change the background, but World is not here ....

2013/12/7 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:40:52 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> upss, sorry Nacho, I misunderstood your question, as how to change the jpg
> background....Thanks Ken.

It is good to know how to change the background picture.

Somebody (who me?) should add a menu item to the PasteUpMorph when we get a chance.

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: ColorEditor progress

KenDickey
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:08:30 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, good idea.
>
> A (may be stupid) question.....why the world in cuis is shown as "world"
> name and I can't use the World as is documented?

I have not seen documentation.

There is a basic problem with multiple projects when changing worlds (i.e. which PasteUpMorph is the "world" at the current time).  So what World are you in?

> Of course, I can iterate in the instances of PasteUpMorph and change the
> background, but World is not here ....

There is an assumption in the code that worlds form a tree:

PasteUpMorph>>world
        worldState ifNil: [^super world].
        ^self

Typically we are not making use of multiple worlds in Cuis, but I know of no reason not to.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: ColorEditor progress

Hannes Hirzel

Re: ColorEditor progress

garduino
Hi Ken:

2013/12/7 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:08:30 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, good idea.
>
> A (may be stupid) question.....why the world in cuis is shown as "world"
> name and I can't use the World as is documented?

I have not seen documentation.

I was thinking in the examples at PasteUpMorph >>backgroundImageData: method.

There is a basic problem with multiple projects when changing worlds (i.e. which PasteUpMorph is the "world" at the current time).  So what World are you in?

> Of course, I can iterate in the instances of PasteUpMorph and change the
> background, but World is not here ....

There is an assumption in the code that worlds form a tree:

PasteUpMorph>>world
        worldState ifNil: [^super world].
        ^self

Typically we are not making use of multiple worlds in Cuis, but I know of no reason not to.

Yes, agree, but my doubt is more simple, as I said to Hannes in the other thread, we shouldn't have the current world pointed as "World" for easiest manipulation?

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: ColorEditor progress

KenDickey
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 22:36:57 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, agree, but my doubt is more simple, as I said to Hannes in the other
> thread, we shouldn't have the current world pointed as "World" for easiest
> manipulation?

I really don't know.  We do have a singleton Display (a DisplayScreen).

At Apple, we used to use multiple displays (CRTs) connected to a single computer and one could drag windows between them.  So a world might have multiple displays, but that is rare these days.

Another thought is synchronization between multiple global dictionaries.

But these are problems we currently do not have.

The code is pervasive enough that it must have solved a problem at one time.  It would be good to know the problem context.

Perhaps a posting on the Squeak and/or Pharo mailing lists (which I do not read) would be helpful.

I do not know,
-KenD

-KenD

Re: ColorEditor progress

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi folks,

On 12/7/2013 9:36 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
Hi Ken:

2013/12/7 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:08:30 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, good idea.
>
> A (may be stupid) question.....why the world in cuis is shown as "world"
> name and I can't use the World as is documented?

I have not seen documentation.

I was thinking in the examples at PasteUpMorph >>backgroundImageData: method.

Will fix them right way!

There is a basic problem with multiple projects when changing worlds (i.e. which PasteUpMorph is the "world" at the current time).  So what World are you in?

> Of course, I can iterate in the instances of PasteUpMorph and change the
> background, but World is not here ....

There is an assumption in the code that worlds form a tree:

PasteUpMorph>>world
        worldState ifNil: [^super world].
        ^self

Typically we are not making use of multiple worlds in Cuis, but I know of no reason not to.

Yes, agree, but my doubt is more simple, as I said to Hannes in the other thread, we shouldn't have the current world pointed as "World" for easiest manipulation?

World is a global name. There's no such thing as the current world for the whole image. There could be several worlds, or none. Additionally, globals are bad, and reducing them is good. And absolute reference systems re bad too. Relative references are much better.

Maybe you can use #world or #runningWorld. These are relative references (to some morph, or some process).

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,