Com ports in Windows from Squeak

Jon Hylands

Hi everyone,

I've been interfacing Squeak with an Atmel ATmega128 microcontroller for
quite some time, through a USB -> TTL serial converter. The com port that
this converter gets seems to change somewhat randomly as time goes on and
it gets plugged in an unplugged. Recently, it has come up as Com13, which
for some reason I am unable to access from Squeak.

I can run HyperTerminal and access the port, and see the characters I am
typing show up. When I run Squeak, and try and do an #openPort: with 13 as
the port number, I get back nil, signifying the port isn't available.

Does Squeak have some kind of hard-coded limit in the serial plugin?

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

  Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
           http://www.huv.com/blog

RE: Com ports in Windows from Squeak

Tansel Ersavas
Hi Jon,

I don't know where it comes from but in Windows it seems there is a single
digit limit. In some cases Windows device manager (under ports) allows you
to remap the port to another number under an "Advanced" option. Maybe that
could help?

Tansel

Re: Com ports in Windows from Squeak

Jon Hylands
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 23:28:01 +0200, "Tansel" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I don't know where it comes from but in Windows it seems there is a single
> digit limit. In some cases Windows device manager (under ports) allows you
> to remap the port to another number under an "Advanced" option. Maybe that
> could help?

Tansel,

Yeah, I did a little digging, and found that option, so I re-mapped it down
to COM2 and everyone is happy again.

I have successfully run it under COM12 however, so I don't think there is a
single-digit limitation.

I had a quick look at the SerialPlugin code, and it looks like the limit in
there is 16.

Thanks,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

  Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
           http://www.huv.com/blog

Re: Com ports in Windows from Squeak

Andreas.Raab
Jon Hylands wrote:
> I had a quick look at the SerialPlugin code, and it looks like the limit in
> there is 16.

That is correct. I set the limit (arbitrarily; hey 640k ought to be
enough for anyone, right?) to 16 COM ports but extending it is trivial
if this is an issue.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

RE: Com ports in Windows from Squeak

Tansel Ersavas
Would be great! Windows regularly assigns numbers up to 40s, especially with
Bluetooth drivers allocating several ports.

Tansel

> I had a quick look at the SerialPlugin code, and it looks like the limit
in
> there is 16.

That is correct. I set the limit (arbitrarily; hey 640k ought to be
enough for anyone, right?) to 16 COM ports but extending it is trivial
if this is an issue.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Com ports in Windows from Squeak

Andreas.Raab
How much would you like? 64? 128? More?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Tansel wrote:

> Would be great! Windows regularly assigns numbers up to 40s, especially with
> Bluetooth drivers allocating several ports.
>
> Tansel

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 00:08:47 -0800, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How much would you like? 64? 128? More?

Looking at the port assignments in Windows, it appears the limit there is
256,,,