Combine several FileLibraries into a single one

Combine several FileLibraries into a single one

Esteban A. Maringolo
Did anybody create an utility that enables the merge the contents of
several files in FileLibraries into a few methods into another library?

I mean, for deployment in production I don't want to deploy to disk the
contents of the files to be served statically, but I want to keep them
within the image, but combining them into a single file (or a few) to
avoid having multiple network requests, and cache the contents only once.

So if I have
FileLibraryA>>mylibraryaJs
FileLibraryB>>mylibrarybJs
FileLibraryC>>mylibrarydJs

etc...

And I'd like to have:
CombinedFileLibrary>>librariesJs

CombinedFileLibrary could be a meta-meta library, where #librariesJs has
the file description, but the contents is built dinamically somehow.

Does it exist, or should I build it? :)

--
Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Combine several FileLibraries into a single one

Tim Mackinnon
Just curious - in a world of iceberg why do we need FileLibeary? Is it not worth investing in more git tools?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 22 Jun 2018, at 20:10, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did anybody create an utility that enables the merge the contents of
> several files in FileLibraries into a few methods into another library?
>
> I mean, for deployment in production I don't want to deploy to disk the
> contents of the files to be served statically, but I want to keep them
> within the image, but combining them into a single file (or a few) to
> avoid having multiple network requests, and cache the contents only once.
>
> So if I have
> FileLibraryA>>mylibraryaJs
> FileLibraryB>>mylibrarybJs
> FileLibraryC>>mylibrarydJs
>
> etc...
>
> And I'd like to have:
> CombinedFileLibrary>>librariesJs
>
> CombinedFileLibrary could be a meta-meta library, where #librariesJs has
> the file description, but the contents is built dinamically somehow.
>
> Does it exist, or should I build it? :)
>
> --
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Combine several FileLibraries into a single one

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Tim,

The world of Iceberg is only available in Pharo,
and I need it in VisualWorks. :-)

Also, and because the Seaside application is going to be
served directly by the image, it is, without reverse proxy,
I find it very convenient for "everything" to be self-contained
in the image.

Of course I could fallback to traditional static file serving
done by VW's HTTP server (which even supports HTTP 2.0).
But I'm trying to avoid going down that path.

Regards!

On 22/06/2018 17:25, Tim Mackinnon wrote:

> Just curious - in a world of iceberg why do we need FileLibeary? Is it not worth investing in more git tools?
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 22 Jun 2018, at 20:10, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Did anybody create an utility that enables the merge the contents of
>> several files in FileLibraries into a few methods into another library?
>>
>> I mean, for deployment in production I don't want to deploy to disk the
>> contents of the files to be served statically, but I want to keep them
>> within the image, but combining them into a single file (or a few) to
>> avoid having multiple network requests, and cache the contents only once.
>>
>> So if I have
>> FileLibraryA>>mylibraryaJs
>> FileLibraryB>>mylibrarybJs
>> FileLibraryC>>mylibrarydJs
>>
>> etc...
>>
>> And I'd like to have:
>> CombinedFileLibrary>>librariesJs
>>
>> CombinedFileLibrary could be a meta-meta library, where #librariesJs has
>> the file description, but the contents is built dinamically somehow.
>>
>> Does it exist, or should I build it? :)
>>
>> --
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Combine several FileLibraries into a single one

Tim Mackinnon
Gotcha.

I’ve been very pleased (albeit hobby style) with the digital ocean recommendation you guys gave me, along with supervisord and Nginx. Giltlab deploys it automatically along with an Nginx include and script to restart and it’s quite neat and tidy.
But haven’t really got many assets yet, hence my interest.

Tim