Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Diego Gomez Deck
Hi folks,

I'm still having fun with Comet
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMET_(programming)) and related stuff.
My goal is to get an approximated idea of what we can do with "modern"
browsers.

This time I'm hacking with CANVAS tag:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas_(HTML_element))

I implemented a "Fake" canvas on Squeak side (I mean an Squeak-canvas)
that generated JavaScript to push (using Comet) to browsers.  The speed
is not so bad, and we still have room for more optimizations (reduce the
size of the generated JS, compress the socket usint GZip-http, etc).

The example works in Firefox (version 1.5) and IE (using the google's
canvas emulation library).

Next goal: Try to inject the mouse events generated in the browsers in
the Squeak world to get a full interactive environment.

Have fun!

-- Diego

 Diego Gomez Deck
 http://www.consultar.com/DiegoGomezDeck/
 http://diegogomezdeck.blogspot.com/
 http://smalltalk.consultar.com/

Re: Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Diego Gomez Deck
Sorry, I forgot to include information how to get it.

Just use SqueakMap and install the version 2 of "Asteroid (a small
Comet)".

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm still having fun with Comet
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMET_(programming)) and related stuff.
> My goal is to get an approximated idea of what we can do with "modern"
> browsers.
>
> This time I'm hacking with CANVAS tag:
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas_(HTML_element))
>
> I implemented a "Fake" canvas on Squeak side (I mean an Squeak-canvas)
> that generated JavaScript to push (using Comet) to browsers.  The speed
> is not so bad, and we still have room for more optimizations (reduce the
> size of the generated JS, compress the socket usint GZip-http, etc).
>

> The example works in Firefox (version 1.5) and IE (using the google's
> canvas emulation library).
>
> Next goal: Try to inject the mouse events generated in the browsers in
> the Squeak world to get a full interactive environment.
>
> Have fun!
>
> -- Diego

Re: Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Edgar J. De Cleene
Hola Diego !!

Here one of our students have what you talk, Firefox click and Squeak image
responding.
I send mail to he for contact you.

Are you using Comanche ? Start digging why the first test fail.
Maybe you use a different Comanche what I using.
I Have a 3.9B 7032 image with
DynamicBindings-gk.1
KomServices-gk.1
KomHttpServer-gk.6

And something what I name "Process glue" (missed / different methods not in
3.9) for having all running, we using for our TEG game development.

Good work !!

Edgar

Esa persona especial te espera en Yahoo! Encuentros.
¡Dejate encontrar!
http://ar.encuentros.yahoo.com/

Re: Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Lord ZealoN
Interesting. I will try it when go back to home.

Cheers.

--

::Mi blog::
http://blog.lordzealon.com

Re: Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Diego Gomez Deck
Hi Edgar,

> Hola Diego !!
>
> Here one of our students have what you talk, Firefox click and Squeak image
> responding.
> I send mail to he for contact you.

What your student has, as far as I can recall, it a modified version of
the WAScreenshot example included in Seaside. This example sends a PNG
with the contents of the World (note the upper $W, it is the global
pointing the active morphic world) and injects the event in the
only-one-active world.

My hack is a different type of animal, it send JavaScript to render the
world (note the lower $w, I can have as many world as I want) in a
browser canvas area.  If you look with good eyes, you'll note that the
ellipse looks better in the browser.  It occurs because the browsers
provides antialiasing for default.  On the other side, to inject events
in several world at the same time is much more tricky than do it just
for the active world.

> Are you using Comanche ?

Yes, Comanche and JSON as it's stated in SqueakMap entry:
http://map.squeak.org/package/b33c680e-5f7e-41e3-98b9-d84324fa2587

Cheers,

-- Diego

Re: Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Edgar J. De Cleene
Diego Gomez Deck puso en su mail :

> What your student has, as far as I can recall, it a modified version of
> the WAScreenshot example included in Seaside. This example sends a PNG
> with the contents of the World (note the upper $W, it is the global
> pointing the active morphic world) and injects the event in the
> only-one-active world.
Yes , is that.
We sends a JPEG with a selected part of the World or all or only the Morph
of interest.

> My hack is a different type of animal, it send JavaScript to render the
> world (note the lower $w, I can have as many world as I want) in a
> browser canvas area.  If you look with good eyes, you'll note that the
> ellipse looks better in the browser.  It occurs because the browsers
> provides antialiasing for default.  On the other side, to inject events
> in several world at the same time is much more tricky than do it just
> for the active world.

Well, you are a Master.
We are toying with send and mix JavaScript , but still need learn a lot

> Yes, Comanche and JSON as it's stated in SqueakMap entry:
> http://map.squeak.org/package/b33c680e-5f7e-41e3-98b9-d84324fa2587

I download something different what do not mention JSON or Comanche (the web
page yes)
Maybe my SqueakMap inside Squeak is not working well.Sure I do some wrong
thing.
I try the correct one now

Horóscopos, Salud y belleza, Chistes, Consejos de amor:
el contenido más divertido para tu celular está en Yahoo! Móvil.
Obtenelo en http://movil.yahoo.com.ar

Re: Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Brad Fuller
Diego Gomez Deck wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to include information how to get it.
>
> Just use SqueakMap and install the version 2 of "Asteroid (a small
> Comet)".

Hi Diego,

I tried Comet but can't get either demo to work for the second browser.
Specifically, the second browser never connects in the ACometWidgets
demo. I think the second browser tries to start because if I reload the
page of the 1st browser, the 2nd browser will connect. Then, of course,
the 1st browser is left not connected.

I'm still trying to found out why the ACometCanvas isn't working. The
browser starts up and the script loads, but there are no images in the
canvas.

brad

--
Brad Fuller
Sonaural Audio Studio
See me on O'Reilly <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2184>

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Diego Gomez Deck wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I forgot to include information how to get it.
>>
>> Just use SqueakMap and install the version 2 of "Asteroid (a small
>> Comet)".
>>

> Hi Diego,
>
> I tried Comet but can't get either demo to work for the second browser.
> Specifically, the second browser never connects in the ACometWidgets
> demo. I think the second browser tries to start because if I reload the
> page of the 1st browser, the 2nd browser will connect. Then, of course,
> the 1st browser is left not connected.
>
> I'm still trying to found out why the ACometCanvas isn't working. The
> browser starts up and the script loads, but there are no images in the
> canvas.

sorry... Squeak 3.8-6665, Linux (FC5)