Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Diego Gomez Deck
Hi folks,

I'm still having fun with Comet
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMET_(programming)) and related stuff.
My goal is to get an approximated idea of what we can do with "modern"
browsers.

This time I'm hacking with CANVAS tag:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas_(HTML_element))

I implemented a "Fake" canvas on Squeak side (I mean an Squeak-canvas)
that generated JavaScript to push (using Comet) to browsers.  The speed
is not so bad, and we still have room for more optimizations (reduce the
size of the generated JS, compress the socket usint GZip-http, etc).

The example works in Firefox (version 1.5) and IE (using the google's
canvas emulation library).

Next goal: Try to inject the mouse events generated in the browsers in
the Squeak world to get a full interactive environment.

Have fun!

-- Diego

 Diego Gomez Deck

Re: Comet + Canvas (tag) => Morphic on internet browser

Diego Gomez Deck
Sorry, I forgot to include information how to get it.

Just use SqueakMap and install the version 2 of "Asteroid (a small
Comet)".