Coming here from the Pharo mailing list

FDominicus
On the Pharo Mailing list, someone pointed me to this group.

My question is AFAIKT not covered but IMHO simple

How do  I connect via  ODBC to an Access Database

Here are my tries
I modified
DBXExamples  > testExampleConnection

estExampleConnection
        | conn connectionSettings |
        connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
                host: 'testDB'
                port: ''
                database: ''
                userName: ''
                userPassword: ''.
        conn := DBXConnection platform: DBXOdbcBackend new settings: connectionSettings.
        conn connect.
        conn open.
        self addConnectionToRelease: conn.
        conn close.
        conn disconnect

Not enough information is the Error message

I tried
with database ste to testDB also

'[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Datei ''(unbekannt)'' nicht
gefunden.'

So that's not it.

So what should I place where in the DBXConnectionSettings?

Regards
Friedrich

Re: Coming here from the Pharo mailing list

Guillermo Polito
Hi!

Can you share your ODBC configuration for the database?

Tx,
Guille

Friedrich

Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Can you share your ODBC configuration for the database?

Well the connection string seems (generated from the ODBC package for Pharo)

'testDB;UID=;PWD='

With the normal  ODBC interface I just have to write:

accessConnection := ODBCConnection dsn: 'testDB' user: '' password: ''.

I don't know what I'm supposed to use in OpenDBX

Friedrich Dominicus <[hidden email]> writes:

> On the Pharo Mailing list, someone pointed me to this group.
>
> My question is AFAIKT not covered but IMHO simple
>
> How do  I connect via  ODBC to an Access Database
>
> Here are my tries
> I modified
> DBXExamples  > testExampleConnection
>
> estExampleConnection
> | conn connectionSettings |
> connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
> host: 'testDB'
> port: ''
> database: ''
> userName: ''
> userPassword: ''.
> conn := DBXConnection platform: DBXOdbcBackend new settings: connectionSettings.
> conn connect.
> conn open.
> self addConnectionToRelease: conn.
> conn close.
> conn disconnect
I' still not finding the magic incarnation to connect to an MDB odbc
data source. Has anyone ever have had this running?

Regards
Friedrich

Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: Coming here from the Pharo mailing list

SebastianHC
I just had trouble with it, too.

In my case I had a ODBC for 64Bit installed and Pharo was looking for te 32Bit one....

Maybe you check you odbc testdb connections on either side.

Are you working on windows?

Sebastian

Re: Coming here from the Pharo mailing list

jtuchel
Friedrich,

are you sure you've used the right ODBC administrator? If you are on Win 7 x64, you have at least two odbc administrators, one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit drivers / engines. You definitely need to use odbc32adm.exe to create a dsn that a 32 bit application can use. I've had similar problems with VA Smalltalk and MS Access Databases on Win 7.
The ODBC error message you copied here looks like that's your problem rather than the connect string...

Please let us know about your progress...

Joachim

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:13:50 PM UTC+2, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:
Friedrich Dominicus <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="MDyoNNQuZu0J">fr...@...> writes:

> On the Pharo Mailing list, someone pointed me to this group.
>
> My question is AFAIKT not covered but IMHO simple
>
> How do  I connect via  ODBC to an Access Database
>
> Here are my tries
> I modified
> DBXExamples  > testExampleConnection
>
> estExampleConnection
>         | conn connectionSettings |
>         connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
>                 host: 'testDB'
>                 port: ''
>                 database: ''
>                 userName: ''
>                 userPassword: ''.
>         conn := DBXConnection platform: DBXOdbcBackend new settings: connectionSettings.
>         conn connect.
>         conn open.
>         self addConnectionToRelease: conn.
>         conn close.
>         conn disconnect
I' still not finding the magic incarnation to connect to an MDB odbc
data source. Has anyone ever have had this running?

Regards
Friedrich

Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: Coming here from the Pharo mailing list

jtuchel
Oh, and I guess you're using a local DB / DSN, so you shouldn't have to set a host: ... But my knowledge of OpenDBX is very limited, so maybe I am wrong. It just sounds illogical.