classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Command Line Arguments

blake watson
Hi--

I've seen this come up several times (and it's in "Deep") but I can't seem to actually make Command Line Arguments work.

If I do (this is under Windows, but I set up a fresh Linux just to ensure it wasn't a Windows quirk):

Pharo.exe Pharo4.0image 99

Pharo comes up with "Command line handler failed". I see in the stack  trace that the "99" comes in as an orderedCollection. And if I do:

Pharo.exe Pharo4.0image 99 100 101

I get an orderedCollection with 99, 100 and 101, which is what I'd expect. In fact, it would be perfect if it didn't crash and put those values somewhere, like, I don't know, CommandLineArguments' arguments variable? =)

So, I'm obviously not getting something here. How do I make simple parm passing work?

Also, I note that:

Pharo.exe 99 100 101

Brings up Pharo with the default image but swallows the 99, which seems odd. I'm guessing that it looks for a 99.image and not finding it, ignores the parameter and loads the default image. But it'd be smarter at that point to put the 99 back, I think.

===Blake===

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Command Line Arguments

philippe.back@highoctane.be

there should be a handler name in there.

Like in pharo-ui Pharo.image st somefile.st

st is the handler.
as is eval or config or your own.

Check subclasses of CommandLineHandler including class side.

Phil

On Apr 27, 2016 6:50 PM, "blake watson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi--

I've seen this come up several times (and it's in "Deep") but I can't seem to actually make Command Line Arguments work.

If I do (this is under Windows, but I set up a fresh Linux just to ensure it wasn't a Windows quirk):

Pharo comes up with "Command line handler failed". I see in the stack  trace that the "99" comes in as an orderedCollection. And if I do:

I get an orderedCollection with 99, 100 and 101, which is what I'd expect. In fact, it would be perfect if it didn't crash and put those values somewhere, like, I don't know, CommandLineArguments' arguments variable? =)

So, I'm obviously not getting something here. How do I make simple parm passing work?

Also, I note that:

Pharo.exe 99 100 101

Brings up Pharo with the default image but swallows the 99, which seems odd. I'm guessing that it looks for a 99.image and not finding it, ignores the parameter and loads the default image. But it'd be smarter at that point to put the 99 back, I think.

===Blake===

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
pharo Pharo.image  --list 

will give you the command lines available, then 

pharo Pharo.image  aCommand --help 

will give you the subcommands possible

in your case, you want something like this: 

pharo Pharo.image eval “99 factorial”

cheers, 
Esteban

ps: this questions are more for the pharo-users list than pharo-dev :)

On 27 Apr 2016, at 20:04, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

st is the handler.

Phil

Hi--

Also, I note that:

Pharo.exe 99 100 101

===Blake===

Reply | Threaded
|

blake watson
Phil, Estevan--

I think part of what confused me is that there's no printout at all under Windows, so Pharo opens and says "Yep, that worked." But there's no actual output anywhere.

>>ps: this questions are more for the pharo-users list than pharo-dev :)

Duly noted. For some reason, I thought that was defunct. (But I had just unsubscribed somehow.)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
pharo Pharo.image  --list 

will give you the command lines available, then 

pharo Pharo.image  aCommand --help 

will give you the subcommands possible

in your case, you want something like this: 

pharo Pharo.image eval “99 factorial”

cheers, 
Esteban

ps: this questions are more for the pharo-users list than pharo-dev :)

On 27 Apr 2016, at 20:04, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

st is the handler.

Phil

Hi--

Also, I note that:

Pharo.exe 99 100 101

===Blake===

Reply | Threaded
|

CyrilFerlicot
Le 27/04/2016 22:51, blake watson a écrit :
> Phil, Estevan--
>
> I think part of what confused me is that there's no printout at all
> under Windows, so Pharo opens and says "Yep, that worked." But there's
> no actual output anywhere.

Hi,

This is because stdin/stdout/stderr stream does not work on windows :(
There might be a "stderr" file close to your image with the output.

>
>>>ps: this questions are more for the pharo-users list than pharo-dev :)
>
> Duly noted. For some reason, I thought that was defunct. (But I had just
> unsubscribed somehow.)
>
>

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment