Command Line In 4.0

Joey Gibson
I just wanted to say that one of the things I am most excited
about in Dolphin 4.0 is the ease with which one can write command line
programs. I know ST is mostly known for it graphical ability, but this
will really come in handy for me on a daily basis.

        I write headless Java all day, and I frequently need data
conversion programs and whatnot that Java is just too cumbersome for. I
write most of my utility programs in Python or JPython (and occasionally
Scheme). I am looking forward to being able to write some of my utility
programs in the future in ST. (J)Python is really nice, but there are
some ST idioms that just aren't there.

        Thanks OA for a great product!

Joey

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Re: Command Line In 4.0

Blair McGlashan
Joey

You wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I just wanted to say that one of the things I am most excited
> about in Dolphin 4.0 is the ease with which one can write command line
> programs. I know ST is mostly known for it graphical ability, but this
> will really come in handy for me on a daily basis.

Good. In which case you will be pleased to know that we will be publishing a
new education centre very soon which includes a section on Dolphin 4.0's new
ability to construct command line apps. I'm looking forward to seeing how
people use it.

Regards

Blair

Re: Command Line In 4.0

Pearapon S.
Blair,

    Please let US know when this new education center is published.
Thank you

Regards,
Pearapon S.

Re: Command Line In 4.0

Andy Bower
Pearapon,

>  Please let US know when this new education center is published.
> Thank you

The new Education Centre download is available.

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk Wiki Web
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

Re: Command Line In 4.0

L. M. Rappaport
The link doesn't appear to work 11/27/00 07:46 EST.

Larry

"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote (with possible editing):

>Pearapon,
>
>>  Please let US know when this new education center is published.
>> Thank you
>
>The new Education Centre download is available.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Andy Bower
>Dolphin Support
>http://www.object-arts.com
>
>---
>Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk Wiki Web
>http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
>---

Re: Command Line In 4.0

Andy Bower
Larry,

> The link doesn't appear to work 11/27/00 07:46 EST.

Seems alright at this end. Are you using Netscape? If so, you will need to
use Netscape 6 and right click on the link to choose "Save As" from the
context menu. Earlier versions of Netscape can't download MSI files as
binary and seem to insist on treated them as text..

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk Wiki Web
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

Re: Command Line In 4.0

L. M. Rappaport
No, I was using IE 5.5, but it seems to be ok now.  Must have been a
glitch along the path somewhere - page not found error.

Larry

"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote (with possible editing):

>Larry,
>
>> The link doesn't appear to work 11/27/00 07:46 EST.
>
>Seems alright at this end. Are you using Netscape? If so, you will need to
>use Netscape 6 and right click on the link to choose "Save As" from the
>context menu. Earlier versions of Netscape can't download MSI files as
>binary and seem to insist on treated them as text..
>
>Best regards,
>
>Andy Bower
>Dolphin Support
>http://www.object-arts.com
>
>---
>Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk Wiki Web
>http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
>---

Re: Command Line In 4.0

Steve Zara
"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> writes:

>Joey
>
>You wrote in message
>news:[hidden email]...
>> I just wanted to say that one of the things I am most excited
>> about in Dolphin 4.0 is the ease with which one can write command line
>> programs. I know ST is mostly known for it graphical ability, but this
>> will really come in handy for me on a daily basis.
>
>Good. In which case you will be pleased to know that we will be publishing a
>new education centre very soon which includes a section on Dolphin 4.0's new
>ability to construct command line apps. I'm looking forward to seeing how
>people use it.
>
>Regards
>
>Blair

I agree with the comment about command line programming, and specifically
the use of a #main method.  Looks like Dolphin is leading the way in
making Smalltalk easily useful to non-smalltalkers.  Can I (yet again)
throw in the phrase 'future Linux support' along with 'WINE' and 'TWIN'
(Windows porting tools) to make Dolphin more acceptable in my
organisation?

Best wishes

Steve Zara

Re: Command Line In 4.0

Daryl Richter
I __love__ the new command line support in Dolphin 4.0.  I currently write
and maintain many, many perl scripts which need to be run unattended by a
job scheduler.  I am now writing these in Smalltalk.  Dolphin has now
eradicated both VB and perl from my toolbox!  As soon as I can check out the
support for writing COM DLLs, maybe C++ will fall also.

--
Regards,
Daryl

<< Sun, Zoom, Spark! >>

"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:oShT5.7539$[hidden email]...

> Joey
>
> You wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > I just wanted to say that one of the things I am most excited
> > about in Dolphin 4.0 is the ease with which one can write command line
> > programs. I know ST is mostly known for it graphical ability, but this
> > will really come in handy for me on a daily basis.
>
> Good. In which case you will be pleased to know that we will be publishing
> new education centre very soon which includes a section on Dolphin 4.0's
new
> ability to construct command line apps. I'm looking forward to seeing how
> people use it.
>
> Regards
>
> Blair

Re: Command Line In 4.0

Syver Enstad
"Daryl Richter" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:YK556.7851$[hidden email]...
> I __love__ the new command line support in Dolphin 4.0.  I currently write
> and maintain many, many perl scripts which need to be run unattended by a
> job scheduler.  I am now writing these in Smalltalk.  Dolphin has now
> eradicated both VB and perl from my toolbox!  As soon as I can check out
the
> support for writing COM DLLs, maybe C++ will fall also.

What!? Is this possible without the deployment kit?

Re: Command Line In 4.0

Daryl Richter
"Syver Enstad" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:ade66.12375$[hidden email]...

> "Daryl Richter" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:YK556.7851$[hidden email]...
> > I __love__ the new command line support in Dolphin 4.0.  I currently
write
> > and maintain many, many perl scripts which need to be run unattended by
> > job scheduler.  I am now writing these in Smalltalk.  Dolphin has now
> > eradicated both VB and perl from my toolbox!  As soon as I can check out
> the
> > support for writing COM DLLs, maybe C++ will fall also.
>
> What!? Is this possible without the deployment kit?

Although I am unsure which particular feature you are addressing,  I
couldn't comment authoritatively anyway because I only own the professional
version.  I would imagine that you would need the deployment kit, however.

--
Regards,
Daryl

<< Sun, Zoom, Spark! >>