Command key processing on Mac OS X

Steven Kelly
Do the native Aqua Mac VMs really not pass Command key combinations to
the image*? As far as I can tell from instrumenting InputState in 7.7
and 7.9, only the key down and key up of the Command key on its own are
passed, but any key press like Command+N does not reach the image.

Steve

* Except for the undocumented hack in the default VW system menu .nib
that munges Command+X/C/V/Z into Ctrl+X/C/V/Z into the image, but let's
not get into that...

Re: Command key processing on Mac OS X

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
That appears to be the case. I've made an AR for it:
66045: "OSX command+key combinations not reaching VI"

On Aug 22, 2012, at 1:46 AM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do the native Aqua Mac VMs really not pass Command key combinations to
> the image*? As far as I can tell from instrumenting InputState in 7.7
> and 7.9, only the key down and key up of the Command key on its own are
> passed, but any key press like Command+N does not reach the image.
>
> Steve
>
> * Except for the undocumented hack in the default VW system menu .nib
> that munges Command+X/C/V/Z into Ctrl+X/C/V/Z into the image, but let's
> not get into that...

Re: Command key processing on Mac OS X

Steven Kelly
Thanks Michael. Given that not having Command is quite an inconvenience,
is there any chance of a quick timetable for a first-cut 7.9 VM with
just this fix? I'd be happy to help test etc.

I didn't yet check whether Command+click works, so that might be worth
checking too. And please rip out the Command+X/C/V/Z -> Ctrl+X/C/V/Z
munging while you're there, as otherwise it will prevent VW ever
receiving these most common Command shortcuts. [macXScreen.m
initEditMenu etc.]

We've just spent quite a bit of effort making the Mac version look and
feel more like a real Mac:
'Before' https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51116530/45MacLook.png
'After'  https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51116530/50MacLook.png
(Lucinda Grande, proper font widths, right backgrounds, correct
underline position, menu shortcuts shown as true character glyphs,
automatic translation of Ctrl+key shortcuts to be shown as Command+key
on the menu and accept that or Ctrl+key...).

I'd assumed that Command wasn't working because of the VNC connection I
use to work on the Mac, particularly since VW adds a Command prefix to
every single menu shortcut. So now I'm caught with a large slew of
changes that are great, apart from the minor issue that the VM bug stops
all menu shortcuts working :).

Thanks,
Steve

On Aug 22, 2012, at 8:27 PM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Michael. Given that not having Command is quite an inconvenience,
> is there any chance of a quick timetable for a first-cut 7.9 VM with
> just this fix? I'd be happy to help test etc.

I've got no time table at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's a VM problem but we'd need to confirm it and then it's a matter of priorities for the VM team. Andres might be able to chime in with something more specific.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Command key processing on Mac OS X

Andres Valloud-6
Nothing to report at the moment.  We'll back to you on this.

On 8/23/2012 8:38 AM, Michael Lucas-Smith wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2012, at 8:27 PM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Michael. Given that not having Command is quite an inconvenience,
>> is there any chance of a quick timetable for a first-cut 7.9 VM with
>> just this fix? I'd be happy to help test etc.
>>

> I've got no time table at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's a VM problem but we'd need to confirm it and then it's a matter of priorities for the VM team. Andres might be able to chime in with something more specific.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Re: Command key processing on Mac OS X

Steven Kelly
Re: [vwnc] Command key processing on Mac OS X
Thanks Andres and Michael, I'll try and hack something together as a workaround for now, and hopefully be able to rip it out later when the VM is corrected.

I think if I use MacOSExtras to add Command+... entries to the main OS app menubar, I can make those run commands in VW that will generate Command+... events, which will then be processed by the current window. I've already made our window menubars store Ctrl+... shortcuts, but display those on Macs as Command+..., and accept both Ctrl+... and Command+... as valid ways of selecting a Ctrl+... menu item.

Cheers,
Steve

Nothing to report at the moment.  We'll back to you on this.

On 8/23/2012 8:38 AM, Michael Lucas-Smith wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2012, at 8:27 PM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Michael. Given that not having Command is quite an inconvenience,
>> is there any chance of a quick timetable for a first-cut 7.9 VM with
>> just this fix? I'd be happy to help test etc.
>>

> I've got no time table at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's a VM problem but we'd need to confirm it and then it's a matter of priorities for the VM team. Andres might be able to chime in with something more specific.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Re: Command key processing on Mac OS X

Steven Kelly
Re: [vwnc] Command key processing on Mac OS X

I’ve published MEMacOSXCommandKey to the public repository, allowing Command keys to be used in VW apps on Mac OS X:

This package is a workaround to make Command key modifiers work on Mac OS X Aqua VMs. You add the desired Command+char shortcut to the app menu at the top of the screen, and this package processes it in the image into a corresponding Ctrl+char keypress, which is what you will have in your window’s menu or text widget.

It also shows Ctrl+char in VW menus as Command+char on the Mac, so the user sees the mapping he expects. And it displays the modifiers in shortcuts using the familiar Mac characters for Option, Shift and Command: .

The app menu at the top of the screen is made by editing MainMenu.nib with XCode Interface Builder. Give each menu item a tag based on its key: 48 for Command+A, 49 for Command+B, 48+26 for Command+Shift+A etc. Only the Command key and tag matter, no actual action is needed. I’ve attached a zip of our own MainMenu.nib, which includes all the common Command keys – you can drop it in as a replacement for VW’s own in visual | Show Package Contents |Contents | Resources | English.lproj | MainMenu.nib.

Share and enjoy,

Steve

PS MEMacOSXLucidaGrande package is recommended to get the correct menu font - see the next email

Nothing to report at the moment.  We'll back to you on this.

On 8/23/2012 8:38 AM, Michael Lucas-Smith wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2012, at 8:27 PM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Michael. Given that not having Command is quite an inconvenience,
>> is there any chance of a quick timetable for a first-cut 7.9 VM with
>> just this fix? I'd be happy to help test etc.
>>

> I've got no time table at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's a VM problem but we'd need to confirm it and then it's a matter of priorities for the VM team. Andres might be able to chime in with something more specific.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

MainMenu.nib.withCmdKeys.zip (22K) Download Attachment